• Status
    Not open for further replies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I got to many other things to do, I have a 15yo that's going be wanting to get her license next summer. My next project may very well be a 96 XJ not far from me, it's pretty solid but doesn't run.

Getting a 4.0 running shouldn't be to tough, but man... See my previous posts about my Jeep. :laugh:

I will say that decent XJs are getting up there in price now though. You'll probably do well on it if it doesn't require miracles to get going.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Getting a 4.0 running shouldn't be to tough, but man... See my previous posts about my Jeep. :laugh:

I will say that decent XJs are getting up there in price now though. You'll probably do well on it if it doesn't require miracles to get going.

Yeah there kinda basic, but I'm gonna go do some test on it this week. Its the usual from looking at it. Rear main, valve cover, hopefully just the CPS. I'm hoping to get it around $1500, not really wanting to take a big risk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yeah there kinda basic, but I'm gonna go do some test on it this week. Its the usual from looking at it. Rear main, valve cover, hopefully just the CPS. I'm hoping to get it around $1500, not really wanting to take a big risk

Man, things have indeed changed. Non running that would be $500 in my days of sniffing after them.

Sounds like it cranks?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Man, things have indeed changed. Non running that would be $500 in my days of sniffing after them.

Sounds like it cranks?

Yeah I think our good ole days are gone just like CM. I went to look tonight, the guy said it cranks but he didn't put it on the charger like he said he was gonna. It's been sitting a year, they said it started missing, then it would idle rough and die, then no start at all

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll get there or die trying!

Being in Commercial/industrial HVAC-R all my life I spent way to much time on a wind swept roof in sub-zero. It was just the way of it.
    So the shop got heat. Then A/C. The A/C has not been used in several years as I have a couple of great fans and the heat does not hurt like the cold tends to.
    I have all the Carhart gear known to modern man. I am wearing a CH sweat shirt as I type.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah I think our good ole days are gone just like CM. I went to look tonight, the guy said it cranks but he didn't put it on the charger like he said he was gonna. It's been sitting a year, they said it started missing, then it would idle rough and die, then no start at all

And they kept right on driving it thinking it would fix itself. I would mot buy that one. Think about why I said that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No they never drove it, they bought it like that and she had hopes her boyfriend would fix it. Then her dad bought her a newer Grand Cherokee so it just sat there

Well maybe. It got in that condition somehow. I am just so leery of people and what they say to sell something these days. Guns bikes cars boats.....you name it. I have just lost a lot of faith.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well maybe. It got in that condition somehow. I am just so leery of people and what they say to sell something these days. Guns bikes cars boats.....you name it. I have just lost a lot of faith.

They live across the street from a buddy of mine, so I kinda have been keeping an eye on it. The 4.0 has some pretty well known issues and hopefully putting a meter on the sensor shows it's clearly bad

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Being in Commercial/industrial HVAC-R all my life I spent way to much time on a wind swept roof in sub-zero. It was just the way of it.
    So the shop got heat. Then A/C. The A/C has not been used in several years as I have a couple of great fans and the heat does not hurt like the cold tends to.
    I have all the Carhart gear known to modern man. I am wearing a CH sweat shirt as I type.

It's not a lack of desire keeping it from happening on my end. A perfect storm of bad luck and bad decisions is why it hasn't happened already. I spent about a decade where if something could go wrong and rain s*** on my head, it did. Some of that I helped to happen, some of it I didn't. That all came to a head about 2-3 years back and the ship has been sailing better. We'll see what the future brings next. In about the next 12 months I need to find a house to buy or fly this chicken coup and find one somewhere else. Then we'll start trying to unfold the master plan again. :)

They live across the street from a buddy of mine, so I kinda have been keeping an eye on it. The 4.0 has some pretty well known issues and hopefully putting a meter on the sensor shows it's clearly bad

Depending on far your "NWI" location stretches toward Elkhart Co, I have a spare known good 4.0 crank sensor you can borrow if you want. I'm not planning to need it next week or anything.

Basically 15 minutes ago I had an entire known-to-be-good, but old, tune up set for one too. Just put all new on mine and tossed the old. You gotta make your plans known better than this, man. :facepalm:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's not a lack of desire keeping it from happening on my end. A perfect storm of bad luck and bad decisions is why it hasn't happened already. I spent about a decade where if something could go wrong and rain s*** on my head, it did. Some of that I helped to happen, some of it I didn't. That all came to a head about 2-3 years back and the ship has been sailing better. We'll see what the future brings next. In about the next 12 months I need to find a house to buy or fly this chicken coup and find one somewhere else. Then we'll start trying to unfold the master plan again. :)

Depending on far your "NWI" location stretches toward Elkhart Co, I have a spare known good 4.0 crank sensor you can borrow if you want. I'm not planning to need it next week or anything.

Basically 15 minutes ago I had an entire known-to-be-good, but old, tune up set for one too. Just put all new on mine and tossed the old. You gotta make your plans known better than this, man. :facepalm:

Yeah the plans just getting started. This girl's pretty young and has obviously been told that these things are valuable. She put it up for sale awhile back but was to expensive. Then the wife sent me a Facebook link clearly showing she has been getting some negative feedback. So I figure she has either had her fill of trying to sell something on the internet, or she is ok with keeping it for awhile.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/408863916978647/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah the plans just getting started. This girl's pretty young and has obviously been told that these things are valuable. She put it up for sale awhile back but was to expensive. Then the wife sent me a Facebook link clearly showing she has been getting some negative feedback. So I figure she has either had her fill of trying to sell something on the internet, or she is ok with keeping it for awhile.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/408863916978647/

Uh....that aint all that low of mileage for that unit. 1996 it will be troublesome.
    But you seem like a sharp cat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom