• Status
    Not open for further replies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My sons 96 Impala S/S had a restricted heater core. We flushed it in the driveway with a garden hose. Just be careful not to put Full city water pressure on it from the get.

I also have an inspection cam BT is welcome to use to avoid that potential issue unless necessary. I don't like to manually flush them unless I have no choice. I don't even like looking at a heater core for too long...

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    My exact proposal is to promote your truck to a toy, get whatever makes sense as a daily, and do not ask your current insurance provider to do anything. Call a high risk specialty company and have them insure whatever beater you snag as a daily.

I used to work with a dude that got nailed on whatever DWI number it is to get you actual jail time (did weekend jail for like 2 months), combined with a hit and run (a mailbox), and his wife had problems too*... His rate actually went DOWN with The General or Safeauto or whatever company he ended up with.

*His wife had totaled out a car annually for like the previous 3 years. To be slightly fair to the dude on his final DWI, his wife called him that night because she was too plastered to drive. His response was that he was probably less plastered than she was, so he went to pick her up. Deer ran out into the road, he dodged, snagged the mailbox, drove another few hundred yards to his house before jumping out of the car to go inspect the mailbox and a cop just happened to see it all. He blew something like a 1.0.
    My truck was SUPPOSED to be a toy. Life and being the lesser of two toys promoted it to daily duty. High mileage has caused issues with the braking system and driveline, both driving me nuts in recent years.

I got home and checked the leaks. Looks like I have 3, possibly four causes.

My injection pump is leaking oil. Looks like the back side. Can't see a darned thing up there. Internet says to have a professional shop re-seal it. I'm fine with that because I can take it to TDI and have them also balance the pump. It's just gonna be money and several days with no truck.

The bottom bolt on the vacuum pump has backed out at least 1/4" so it's leaking at the timing case. Don't know if tightening that bolt fixes the issue or not.

The brand new effing front effing stupid bass timing cover is leaking at the bottom, so there's another "tear the whole front end off and spend $200 replacing fluids and another new crank seal."

And it looks like the oil pan has been leaking, though I think it's leaked for a long time and isn't a main cause of problems.

At this point, I'm very highly considering pulling the engine and re-sealing everything while also having the pump re-sealed/balanced. I would LOVE to have the transmission built at the same time but I don't think there's any way I can swing it.

I looked at Jeeps. Found a few I liked for not terrible prices. I don't know if I'm gonna call the bank tomorrow or not. At least the payment won't be insanely high. I'll have to see what kind of cheap insurance I can get.

Having a family blows. I'd 100% just daily the Mustang as-is if I didn't have to haul this potato around when my wife is at work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My truck was SUPPOSED to be a toy. Life and being the lesser of two toys promoted it to daily duty. High mileage has caused issues with the braking system and driveline, both driving me nuts in recent years.

I got home and checked the leaks. Looks like I have 3, possibly four causes.

My injection pump is leaking oil. Looks like the back side. Can't see a darned thing up there. Internet says to have a professional shop re-seal it. I'm fine with that because I can take it to TDI and have them also balance the pump. It's just gonna be money and several days with no truck.

The bottom bolt on the vacuum pump has backed out at least 1/4" so it's leaking at the timing case. Don't know if tightening that bolt fixes the issue or not.

The brand new effing front effing stupid bass timing cover is leaking at the bottom, so there's another "tear the whole front end off and spend $200 replacing fluids and another new crank seal."

And it looks like the oil pan has been leaking, though I think it's leaked for a long time and isn't a main cause of problems.

At this point, I'm very highly considering pulling the engine and re-sealing everything while also having the pump re-sealed/balanced. I would LOVE to have the transmission built at the same time but I don't think there's any way I can swing it.

I looked at Jeeps. Found a few I liked for not terrible prices. I don't know if I'm gonna call the bank tomorrow or not. At least the payment won't be insanely high. I'll have to see what kind of cheap insurance I can get.

Having a family blows. I'd 100% just daily the Mustang as-is if I didn't have to haul this potato around when my wife is at work.

I deeply sympathize with your toy schedule there. I used to have my fleet segmented too until life also happened to me. :)

Sounds like you have 2 leaks that aren't nightmares and might get you by until the spring? I'm not reading either pump leak as being a huge amount of work, just an annoyance.

I cannot imagine driving my 5.0 in the winter... Just, no.

...and, if you're hoping for less maintenance, Jeep ownership may not be for you either. My TJ is basically just a smaller version of your pickup with everything at about 1/2 scale with just about all of the same problems. :laugh:

...and did you just call your kid a potato? I can't decide if that's funny or not and certainly can't decide if I should laugh.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I deeply sympathize with your toy schedule there. I used to have my fleet segmented too until life also happened to me. :)

Sounds like you have 2 leaks that aren't nightmares and might get you by until the spring? I'm not reading either pump leak as being a huge amount of work, just an annoyance.

I cannot imagine driving my 5.0 in the winter... Just, no.

...and, if you're hoping for less maintenance, Jeep ownership may not be for you either. My TJ is basically just a smaller version of your pickup with everything at about 1/2 scale with just about all of the same problems.

...and did you just call your kid a potato? I can't decide if that's funny or not and certainly can't decide if I should laugh.
    The injection pump is just a bear to get off the truck. And then I have to reset timing. Boo. Since I don't feel confident in resealing the pump myself, I've gotta wait a few days to get it done. During that time I might as well fix the front seal. And having the injection pump off makes it easy to get to the vacuum pump.

What has me so mad is that front seal. It's $130 just for the stupid crank seal. I LITERALLY just replaced it 2 months ago. I don't think the seal is leaking, I think the timing cover is leaking. Beyond frustrating.

My old YJ wasn't that bad. I would like to get another. I don't really know what to do on that end. I guess if I could start pulling the truck apart tonight and have it together by Monday then I'll just fix the leaks.

And yes. She is a potato. And yes, you can laugh. I encourage it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The injection pump is just a bear to get off the truck. And then I have to reset timing. Boo. Since I don't feel confident in resealing the pump myself, I've gotta wait a few days to get it done. During that time I might as well fix the front seal. And having the injection pump off makes it easy to get to the vacuum pump.

What has me so mad is that front seal. It's $130 just for the stupid crank seal. I LITERALLY just replaced it 2 months ago. I don't think the seal is leaking, I think the timing cover is leaking. Beyond frustrating.

My old YJ wasn't that bad. I would like to get another. I don't really know what to do on that end. I guess if I could start pulling the truck apart tonight and have it together by Monday then I'll just fix the leaks.

And yes. She is a potato. And yes, you can laugh. I encourage it.

Ya know, just to put it out there, Rotella is pretty cheap and it's awesome rust prevention. Have you measured this leak in $/mile yet? Run that bolt back in, top it off, and see what happens. :dunno:

My TJ isn't "that bad" either, but, it's old. It leaks, stuff breaks, etc. You know the drill. I just rebuilt the front axle 10,000 miles ago and the carrier torched itself, so I get to rebuild the front axle again and buy a new carrier (and MAYBE gears too, won't that be exciting). The fun never ends!

So, yeah, brand new Kia or disposable beater is what my mind keeps going back and forth on. Do know that I am deeply sympathetic to your cause. I'm not that far from where you're at with my garbage piles.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well the wife just sent me this, low miles but maybe a gazillion hours.:dunno:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3477735008985215/

Rust dumpster 2wd truck retired from municipal service with an almost certainly beaten interior? HARD pass as a driver.

As something to use as a swap donor or hang turbos on and have fun? 6.0 , 4L80E, 2wd truck? :yesway:

I'd like to pay about a grand less than that though, but... it's probably already gone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom