• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yet another fine example of the brilliant logic (:rolleyes:) exhibited by typical journalists in our country who are, deservedly, losing their grip/monopoly on information dissemination/analysis after proving themselves unworthy of such a responsibility.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Typical. Which further exposes and underscores the real motive of "journalists" who violate the privacy rights of Hoosiers by snooping through personal information. As I wrote to my state rep, it's a politically motivated form of malicious mischief done, at the very least, for purposes of harassment.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Ya know the funny thing is in Massachusetts, all gun permit data is potected and is illegal to release. They have some funky laws there and some hoops to jump through, but they got the privacy part right. Now just pray they get the senator they need next week!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    These newspapers are doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot :rofl: by alienating subscribers with their ignorance, and pathetic reporting. I would be ashamed to put my name on an article written like that.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I keep hearing what a great tragedy it is that the newspapers are all going out of business, and soon we won't have any journalism any more, and how awful this will be, and democracy won't survive without it, etc. And a mainstay of their case is how the internet media that's putting them out of business isn't real journalism because it's all so biased and opinionated, and driven by unacknowledged agendas.

Then I read this kind of stuff, and the thought of these folks sliding in to the tar pit brings a little smile to my face.

Newspaper journalists, meet the dodo birds. And good riddance.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    That article was terrible! There apparently was no research of gun and carry laws associated with the article. I know that my high school newspaper did better research than this. Help! Mr. Wizzard

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The papers are working together to fix what the HT messed up. Now the only question is who will drive more letters and phone calls:

Us?

or

Them?

Have you called? Have you written? Please take a moment and do so. PLEASE!

The papers have a bully pulpit but cannot force their readers to agree or even to make the call. We do not have the pulpit but can win if we do make the call.

Again, call - now. We will not get this opportunity again.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I keep hearing what a great tragedy it is that the newspapers are all going out of business, and soon we won't have any journalism any more, and how awful this will be, and democracy won't survive without it, etc. And a mainstay of their case is how the internet media that's putting them out of business isn't real journalism because it's all so biased and opinionated, and driven by unacknowledged agendas.

Then I read this kind of stuff, and the thought of these folks sliding in to the tar pit brings a little smile to my face.

Newspaper journalists, meet the dodo birds. And good riddance.
    :+1:

Newspapers seem more and more like the watchful eye OF the government. Seldom do you see or hear any reported write anything remotely negative about the government. IMO, this is the way the newspapers SHOULD go if they want readers. Investigative reporting to the misdoings of our legislaturers, politicians, and the corruption in corporate America. There are FAR more interesting things to report on than Johnny who got a DWI, and Billy who owns a gun, or Betty who knows how to make a great pie.

The internet has ruined reporting. Too many "journalists" rely solely on information provided by the AP wire, or the local police scanner. Or what CNN posted on their website a day earlier. It's pathetic. GET OUT AND FIND A STORY!!!
    :soapbox:

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    My favorite line is where they say that people who are Muslim should be denied permits for being Muslim. So now it's okay to deny American citizens civil rights because of their religion?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My favorite line is where they say that people who are Muslim should be denied permits for being Muslim. So now it's okay to deny American citizens civil rights because of their religion?

Sadly, some believe that. It would not surprise me that there would be some even in our community.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I know, but you'd think that a newspaper editor would be smart enough to not print an obviously racist statement in an editorial.

Regardless of how I feel about Islamic terrorists, an Ameican citizen who is Muslim is still an American citizen, and deserves all the rights accorded to any one of us. For the Muncie paper to make such an obvious ploy to appeal to ignorance and fear is pretty scummy, if you ask me.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I know, but you'd think that a newspaper editor would be smart enough to not print an obviously racist statement in an editorial.

Regardless of how I feel about Islamic terrorists, an Ameican citizen who is Muslim is still an American citizen, and deserves all the rights accorded to any one of us. For the Muncie paper to make such an obvious ploy to appeal to ignorance and fear is pretty scummy, if you ask me.

EXACTLY! :yesway: I don't care if they are atheists they are still citizens. :patriot:

The statement in that article is so obviously transparent it makes my butt itch.

They don't give a hoot in he double hockey sticks about the poor muslim's. They only threw that
    out as a race card and a distraction.

B.S.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

OUR VIEW: Proposed law would limit your right to know

Want to know whether your friend or neighbor has a permit to carry a gun? Today you can get that information.

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif

Starting July 1, there will be no way to know if a bill before the House Natural Resources Committee is enacted.

A bill authored by Rep. Peggy Welch, a Democrat from the Brown County area, removes from public inspection information about people carrying gun permits. Welch's bill would allow journalists and academic researchers access to generalized data from the Indiana State Police, but would not allow specific permit information about an individual.

This is not a good idea. This bill needs to be severely amended or allowed to die in committee.

Here's why:
    Say, for example, you want to find out whether there are any convicted child molesters living in your neighborhood. You have young children, and like any good parent, you look up the information on available Web sites. Your research uncovers several living in your neighborhood. If you want to know whether they have permits to carry a gun, you can get that information. This bill, however, would prohibit that information from being made known.

Welch's bill was sparked, at least in part, by investigative reporting in two unrelated stories by The (Bloomington) Herald-Times and The Indianapolis Star. The Bloomington newspaper's story reported on the number of permits, by street, in Monroe County. Seems reasonable to know whether your neighbor has a permit to carry a gun. The newspaper also posted a database with the information.

The Indianapolis Star uncovered numerous cases where the Indiana State Police granted permits to individuals despite the recommendations of the Indianapolis Police Department that the permits be denied. The newspaper also found situations where the permits should have been denied due to criminal convictions of the applicants.

Unless the bill, HB1068 is amended, this kind of examination of the gun permit process will be closed. It will be impossible for a newspaper -- or you -- to dig for this information.

It also will be nearly impossible to find out whether police or other members are denying permits to legitimate applicants, maybe because of race or names that might denote a Muslim background, for example.

As for allowing journalists access to generalized data: That information is useless. About all that could be gleaned is how many permits were issued and in what city or county -- maybe.

When lawmakers introduce bills to remove information from the public, it's usually the public that loses. This bill is no exception. It seems designed to placate law enforcement from being embarrassed by their gaffes.

It's a bad bill and should not get a favorable vote in its current form.

Top Bottom