• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, some people have never heard of him. Libertarians have known of him for many years and have, by and large, liked what they've seen. He did an admirable job as governor of New Mexico and stands on his principles. Of course, rank and file republicrats and single issue voters are never going to cast a vote for someone who believes in individual liberty.

via Salon

Gary Johnson, a former governor of New Mexico and a likely candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, is talking about hookers.
    "It's never been a consideration that I would enlist the services of a prostitute, myself personally," he says. "But if I were to do that, where would I want to enlist that service? Well, it would probably be in Nevada, where it's legal, because it would be safe."
    When's the last time Mitt Romney engaged in a hypothetical like that? But Johnson doesn't even blink. It's not like this is the only topic on which he risks offending the GOP's base. He also favors legalizing pot, supports abortion rights, and opposes the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Oh, and he doesn't go to church. "I don't think you'll ever hear me invoking God in anything I do," he tells me.
    It is an incongruous foundation from which to seek the mantle of a party whose last president, George W. Bush, famously claimed that his favorite philosopher is Jesus Christ.
    Johnson faces other obstacles, too. Aside from his low name-recognition, he has no discernible power base. After eight years on the job in Santa Fe, he was term-limited out of the governorship at the end of 2002 and stepped back from public life thereafter. Fundraising will be arduous. And his ambitions are the object of outright scorn from the Washington establishment.
    "His chances are zero," political analyst Stu Rothenberg says via e-mail. "I'd say that they are less than zero, if there was such a thing. I'd expect his impact to be nonexistent."
    That assessment may prove correct, but it's also worth remembering that the same things were said a few years ago about an obscure Texas congressman named Ron Paul. True, Paul didn't come close to winning the 2008 GOP nod, but he did raise tens of millions of dollars, outpoll Rudy Giuliani and have an impact on the party in ways that are still being felt.
    More at the source.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    He also favors legalizing pot, supports abortion rights, and opposes the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Oh, and he doesn't go to church. He also suggests that if he was so inclined, he could be found in the Kit-Kat Club in Nevada? I'm sure most would not agree he's a Republican.

erowe1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    supports abortion rights

He calls himself pro-choice, which will be enough to prevent him from ever getting a Republican presidential nomination.

However, he's for repealing Roe v. Wade, thus allowing states to restrict abortion as much as they choose; and he's for ending all tax payer funding of abortion, as well as embryonic stem cell research. In contrast, John McCain calls himself pro-life, but he opposes overturning Roe v. Wade in either the short or long term; and he supports tax payer funding of abortion, and of embryonic stem cell research.

I'm staunchly pro-life, but I'd take the self-proclaimed pro-choice Gary Johnson as a far better choice for pro-lifers than the self-proclaimed pro-life John McCain (or for that matter, a great many other supposedly pro-life Republicans) any day.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's another interesting piece on Johnson. It covers a few more issues and his views on them. He's certainly not a populist and takes a principled stance on the issues.

via The Santa Fe New Mexican

While many conservatives across the country are calling for beefing up security along the U.S./Mexican border and deporting all illegal immigrants, former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson is taking a different approach bound to stir controversy among Republicans.

Johnson, who was governor for two terms between 1995 and 2002, last year launched Our America, The Gary Johnson Initiative, a tax-exempt "political advocacy committee." He's traveled to 20 states speaking to conservative and libertarian groups — including three trips in recent months to New Hampshire, the state with the first presidential primary. Johnson will neither confirm nor deny that he's laying the foundation for a 2012 Republican presidential bid.

He said he's trying to "give a voice" to Republicans who disagree with conventional GOP thinking on several issues. Johnson said he is "pretty much on the same page" with most frequently mentioned 2012 GOP candidates when it comes to government spending.

"But when you listen to the rhetoric they all seem to want to stay engaged on the war on terror at an unlimited cost and they're all now talking about securing the borders when they don't seem to have any idea how much that would actually cost," he said. "Although the rhetoric sounds good, the reality of what they're saying really isn't going to reduce spending."

Johnson is admittedly coy when asked about presidential ambitions. His group's IRS status as a 501(c)(4), he said, prohibits him from talking about a possible candidacy. But the idea of running for president is being "tossed around" he said. "I'm heartened by all that."

And an aide present at Tuesday's interview pointed to an article in The Daily Caller this week in which U.S. Rep. Ron Paul — one of Johnson's libertarian heroes — said he's not sure whether he'll run for president again. "Asked to name other potential presidential candidates he could support, Paul replied, 'I guess the best one would be Johnson from New Mexico — Gary Johnson,' " the article said.
    More at the source.

He looks to be more "libertarian" than Ron Paul and his take on the issues is much more aligned with the libertarian views.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Paul's Law: somehow, in some way, Ron Paul will always be mentioned in a gun board political discussion. Cf. Godwin's Law.

You shall fear Paul's Law. You shall obey Paul's Law.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just another RINO. He should change party affiliations.

I'm not surprised that a leftist with a deep and abiding hatred for Republicans would be so enthusiastic about him :rolleyes:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ... his ambitions are the object of outright scorn from the Washington establishment. ...

This alone is reason enough for me to give him a second look... and maybe my vote.

I would very much like to actually have a candidate I could in good conscience vote for for high office... I would even more like, once in my life, to see a full slate of candidates that met those criteria. I don't know that this man will do so, but I'm going to do some looking around to see.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    To be fair, I (and most libertarians) aren't "pro-drug". We're anti-war on drugs and for the legalisation of drugs. There's a difference. Most libertarians are pro-choice, but there are a significant number who are anti-choice. And loads of people are anti-war, including quite a few republicans.
    As for your switch...I hope it's working out for you, altho it doesn't look like it is.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Pro-drug, Pro-abortion, anti-war, atheist = Leftist.

First of all religion has nothing to do with a political party, or left or right. It crosses all boundaries.

Pro-drug and pro-abortion are synonymous with pro-freedom because they both enable the CHOICE to do drugs or have an abortion. Neither state that if you are pro-drug or pro-abortion that you MUST do one, rather you simply have the choice, should you chose, thus being pro-freedom.

anti-war? Are you kidding me? Is there such a thing as "pro-war"? Do people sit around all day in their black leather chairs down in their secret lair attempting to come up with ways to start wars? I thought every sane human being was "anti-war". If you enjoy thousands or millions of people dying over a few short years, then I hope you're in a very small minority.

Pro-freedom is Pro-American. Anti-freedom is Anti-American. Don't tread on me.

Top Bottom