• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I picked up an Izula 2 from Brad a couple of weeks ago. It’s the first non-stainless knife I’ve had in a very long time, and that will be obvious in a minute. The 1095 holds an edge well, and despite my large hands the knife is comfortable for me to use. I only have one problem and I’m hoping you guys can help me with it. Rust

Last Sunday I was helping someone move and was sweating my butt off. I was carrying the Izula around my neck. This morning I go to use the knife for the first time since Sunday, and I find a fair amount of rust on the blade. Apparently the salt and sweat wasn’t what the blade wanted.

With the exception of switching to a belt sheath, do you guys have any suggestions for wearing the knife with minimal worry of a repeat of the rusting? I’ve heard people mention Frog Lube on other forums; does anyone here have experience with this on knives?

And before anyone says it, I can’t stop sweating :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I picked up an Izula 2 from Brad a couple of weeks ago. It’s the first non-stainless knife I’ve had in a very long time, and that will be obvious in a minute. The 1095 holds an edge well, and despite my large hands the knife is comfortable for me to use. I only have one problem and I’m hoping you guys can help me with it. Rust

Last Sunday I was helping someone move and was sweating my butt off. I was carrying the Izula around my neck. This morning I go to use the knife for the first time since Sunday, and I find a fair amount of rust on the blade. Apparently the salt and sweat wasn’t what the blade wanted.

With the exception of switching to a belt sheath, do you guys have any suggestions for wearing the knife with minimal worry of a repeat of the rusting? I’ve heard people mention Frog Lube on other forums; does anyone here have experience with this on knives?

And before anyone says it, I can’t stop sweating :)
    I coat all my blades with a thin layer of Froglube paste, including my Izula which I neck carry as well. Not a speck of rust.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First of, thanks for the help. ;) :yesway:

Second, what kind of of sheath you have for that knife?
    I would think that the sheath would prevent the blade from getting in contact with the skin and sweat. :dunno:
    When I carry a neck knife I usually have it bewteen a t-shirt and a second layer of clothing.But that's probably not the best option for hot weather.
    Maybe you need to wipe the blade with some oil every day and not just wait till you need to use the knife to take it out of its sheath.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    First of, thanks for the help. ;) :yesway:

Second, what kind of of sheath you have for that knife?
    I would think that the sheath would prevent the blade from getting in contact with the skin and sweat. :dunno:
    When I carry a neck knife I usually have it bewteen a t-shirt and a second layer of clothing.But that's probably not the best option for hot weather.
    Maybe you need to wipe the blade with some oil every day and not just wait till you need to use the knife to take it out of its sheath.

No problem. I met my first INGOers, and it was a good workout :)

It was just the plastic sheath that came with the knife. I've been looking in to working with Kydex, and this could be a good opportunity for a new hobby. I didn't want the knife swinging around and catching on boxes, furniture, etc.. so I slipped it in my shirt. Truthfully, all I need to do is look at the thermometer on a warm day and I start to sweat. I love the knife, so I have a feeling it just going to be about starting some new maintenance habits.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No problem. I met my first INGOers, and it was a good workout :)

It was just the plastic sheath that came with the knife. I've been looking in to working with Kydex, and this could be a good opportunity for a new hobby. I didn't want the knife swinging around and catching on boxes, furniture, etc.. so I slipped it in my shirt. Truthfully, all I need to do is look at the thermometer on a warm day and I start to sweat. I love the knife, so I have a feeling it just going to be about starting some new maintenance habits.

Yeah a neck knife is not the best when you have to bend over and do stuff like that.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How often do you re-apply the paste? I may just need to go ahead and order some.
    Any time the blade gets grimy from more than average use I'll clean it with soap and water and re-apply the Froglube. It doesn't take much. I just get enough on my finger to feel 'greasy' and rub it on the blade. I'm sure gun oil would work well as well, but I use my Izula for food prep from time to time.

Also, I noticed last week that Plainfield Shooting Supply carries froglube now. :yesway:
    I have an 8oz tub of the paste and am still convinced it's a lifetime supply.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any time the blade gets grimy from more than average use I'll clean it with soap and water and re-apply the Froglube. It doesn't take much. I just get enough on my finger to feel 'greasy' and rub it on the blade. I'm sure gun oil would work well as well, but I use my Izula for food prep from time to time.

Also, I noticed last week that Plainfield Shooting Supply carries froglube now. :yesway:
    I have an 8oz tub of the paste and am still convinced it's a lifetime supply.

I haven't been to PSS, but this is a good a chance as any to check it out.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Olive oil works great for carbon blades that will come in contact with food- doesn't turn gummy/sticky like vegetable oil, no flavor issues. Been using it for years on some old carbon steel butcher blades in the kitchen- won't stand up well to a run thru the dishwasher, though!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That all sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
    Always looking for a knife lube that will do it's job through cutting veggies/fruit, then go back in the sheath (maybe wiped, maybe not) to be bathed in sweat. Then forgotten about for possibly days.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    It's a USDA certified non-toxic bio product, but I wouldn't spread it on toast. It has a minty smell and very much reminds me of Chapstick. I've tasted it, but it doesn't have much of a flavor.

http://www.froglube.com/docs/FROGLUBE MSDS 3_8_12.pdf

speaking of chap stick, that will work as a rust inhibitor too. I like to keep a stick in my pack when camping.

I use super quick clean guns on all my ESEE knives and have zero issues with rusting.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've tasted it, but it doesn't have much of a flavor.

Now that my fellow INGOers, is dedication to your weapons.:bowdown: When you won't apply a product to your guns and knives that you won't ingest yourself, you take it to a different level.:D

How bout bacon grease? Intoxicating aroma, displaces water, and must prevent rust.:bacondance:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Now that my fellow INGOers, is dedication to your weapons.:bowdown: When you won't apply a product to your guns and knives that you won't ingest yourself, you take it to a different level.:D

How bout bacon grease? Intoxicating aroma, displaces water, and must prevent rust.:bacondance:

AND will go rancid and smelly in a few days! What more could we ask?!

Top Bottom