• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sooner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2011
    Noblesville
    So I am currently without a firearm, and since there is no such thing as the perfect gun I am looking to start a collection to cover many bases. But the question is where to start? I was really leaning toward a Ruger P95 but I have also thought about the new AR style .22's in particular M4 types. Of course my only gun I had before lack of money forced a sale was a 4" 66-2, loved that gun so wheelguns aren't out of the question either. And 1911's can be had for not a lot nowadays, and after all it is 100 years so I need to celebrate that. I am looking to spend about 400, so where would you start and why? :draw::ar15::twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It would be helpful if you could state what you want your firearms for.

A 12 gauge pump shotgun is probably the most versatile firearm ever conceived. I think having one should be a priority.

When I was down and out, and a divorce stripped me of my firearms, a 12 gauge pump was the first firearm I purchased after the lawyers finally left me alone.

Next up was a K frame S&W 38 Special revolver. I think I bought a 1911 and a Mini14 soon after.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I would have to say that if starting from scratch some form of shotgun would have to be first on the list even if it was an H&R single shot, a shotgun covers all the bases.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would start with a 12ga shotty also, then a decent .22 rifle to go along with it

or

if your looking to get into a pistol probably a RIA 1911 and a .22 rifle of some kind

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I would start with a 12ga shotty also, then a decent .22 rifle to go along with it
    then a .45 a 9mm an Ar-15 a .380 a .22 target pistol maybe a .22 pocket pistol a few more shotguns another AR a nice revolver a lever gun maybe a $1000 worth of ammo then some reloading equipment oh and dam dont forget the gun safe you'll need one of those strait away. Then you can start with a few Busse knives maybe a machete and a couple of axes some cool flashlights a years worth of MRE's and a huge stash of water. A generator a 1000gals of fuel Then...... OMG I just realized this list never ends it just keeps on going forever and ever. AAAAHHHHHHH... ;)

Sooner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2011
    Noblesville
    I had not considered a shotty, however right now we live with my wife's parents and storage is limited. So right now I am leaning towards handgun, one thing I come back to is that the most versitle handgun ever is a .357 Magnum, every type of load imaginable from mouse fart .38's all the way up to Elmer Keith memorial magnums and shotshells to boot. Easy to maintain, easy to use, big N frames all the way down to LCR's. Plus S&W wheelguns really pull at my heartstrings, they're so pretty. But then again I could get a P95 along with some night sights and a grip and still have change left over from $400, and a 9mm is quite versitle as well. Man I wish I could get a shotty now that I think about it, but I feel a handgun works best in my current situation. Thanks for helping me think this through. Now .357 or 9mm hmmmmmm

PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    A p-95 would be a fine choice. My first handgun was a p-95 and I still have it. I would however recommend a Ruger SR9. I have the sr9c and have held the sr9. I have seen them for under $400(before taxes). Good luck with what ever you choose.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If your getting a handgun, is it for personal protection or shooting sports?
    If personal protection, do you plan on CC'ing or OC'ing?
    If it's CC & revolver, my personal favorite is the Ruger SP101, it's a small frame 5 shot revolver & easy to conceal.
    If it's a semi-auto, I'd suggest one of the many 9mm's since the ammo is cheaper to buy.

If it's for OC, and you don't care about the size, your choices are wide open.

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd personally start with a reliable handgun in a reasonable caliber with readily available ammunition then move up to the more tactical platforms like AR, etc.

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If you have no guns and $400 i would first get a used taurus .40 or .45 millenium series for around $300 then get a cheap 12 gauge with the other $100. As long as you have a pistol and a shotgun you should be ok against anything that may come along.But if you only want one gun i would go handgun all the way

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you've already made up your mind on a handgun first, think about what you want it to do. A good all around gneral purpose handgun would be a .357 with a 4 inch barrel. a little heavy and big to cc, but legal for deer hunting in Indiana. Ruger GP100 and Smith and Wesson 686 are at the top of the list. Very reliable and able to shoot a variety of loads.

If all you want to do is carry/defense the options open up a bunch. I went with the RugerSR9c. Love the gun. Conceals well and cheap ammo are among the top draws here.

Be sure to invest in a quality holster and belt regardless of what gun you go with. Makes packing anything more comfortable and secure on your person.

Good luck. It is just the begining of a great disease:rockwoot:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'd personally start with a reliable handgun in a reasonable caliber with readily available ammunition then move up to the more tactical platforms like AR, etc.

I agree, if you're only going to possess one firearm then it should be a handgun. Because a handgun can be used for HD and a carry weapon. Long guns can make great HD weapons, but you really can't carry them around.

Top Bottom