Indianapolis
    Gawker dying again? Oh happy day.

DaZzPfrUwAAKlRM.jpg:large

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I took the "day of racial sensitivity training" to be an admission of guilt on their part. They seem to see some wrongdoing, as though he had no grounds to ask them to leave.

I don't take it necessarily as an admission of guilt, quite possible it's just damage control/appeasement.

I wondered when this would appear. The only party involved in this situation that acted appropriately was the Philly PD. I've been pushing hard against people on FB trying to place blame on them.

I'll agree the police didn't do anything wrong, they may not be the only party that didn't though. The manager could have been acting completely appropriately as well.

It is unclear if the manager was fired. However, as it appears to me (as stated by other patrons who go to this location), people were regularly allowed to do exactly what these two young men were doing. If these two guys weren't doing anything wrong, why did the manager single them out and ask them to leave? Now this does not mean that the guys should have stayed put and used that as an excuse. If a business owner, or it's proxy, asks you to leave, you leave... if you don't, you're breaking the law. Maybe the manager needs to be fired, maybe he/she doesn't... it depends on why the reason these guys were asked to leave, and whether the home office agrees.

Per this article she is no longer with the company, and "the decision was mutual" what that means who knows. It could be that she realized she wasn't cut out for this line of work, or it could be she was given a choice, resign with a good recommendation and/or severance or get fired and nothing. :dunno:

Yes "IF" these guys were doing nothing wrong, who knows what happened before the video started rolling. One of them came up to the counter and asked for a code to the bathroom, was told it was only for customers, what happened after that and before the call to the police? And evidently the restroom for customer use only is policy, the Chief of Police stated that a uniformed sergeant was told the same thing when he asked to use it before.

Did the manager have a habit of kicking out black non paying customers while letting white ones sit? I saw other blacks in the video, no idea if they were paying customers or not though. It could also have been the way they were dressed that drew her attention, sweats and hoodies. From what I understand the area this starbucks is located in is a very ritzy one. Not saying that makes it right, just a possible explanation of why other than them being black. I know I've gotten treated very differently depending on how I've been dressed, I'm sure you probably have had the same experience.

Bathroom are serious business in Europe... I doubt such will ever come our way, as it isn't uncommon to see people in Europe, using the bathroom anywhere. In fact, in Berlin, these aren't uncommon.

I doubt American sensibilities would allow this.

There is evidently a couple of places that have code required for bathroom use here already, this Starbucks and another in CA. Probably other places as well.

And as for that outdoor urinal going over here, check out this one in San Fran. I think I'd rather use the one you posted if I had to go.
    29-san-francisco-outdoor-urinal.w710.h473.jpg

See above. Although some places have nicer ones.
    first%20portland%20loo.JPG

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Per this article she is no longer with the company, and "the decision was mutual" what that means who knows. It could be that she realized she wasn't cut out for this line of work, or it could be she was given a choice, resign with a good recommendation and/or severance or get fired and nothing. :dunno:

Yes "IF" these guys were doing nothing wrong, who knows what happened before the video started rolling. One of them came up to the counter and asked for a code to the bathroom, was told it was only for customers, what happened after that and before the call to the police? And evidently the restroom for customer use only is policy, the Chief of Police stated that a uniformed sergeant was told the same thing when he asked to use it before.

Did the manager have a habit of kicking out black non paying customers while letting white ones sit? I saw other blacks in the video, no idea if they were paying customers or not though. It could also have been the way they were dressed that drew her attention, sweats and hoodies. From what I understand the area this starbucks is located in is a very ritzy one. Not saying that makes it right, just a possible explanation of why other than them being black. I know I've gotten treated very differently depending on how I've been dressed, I'm sure you probably have had the same experience.

If one chooses to believe the people actually in the establishment at the time this situation unfolded, Then there is no "if." The other patrons said they had done nothing wrong. That seems proof enough.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If one chooses to believe the people actually in the establishment at the time this situation unfolded, Then there is no "if." The other patrons said they had done nothing wrong. That seems proof enough.

Wrong can be in the eye of the beholder. The two that were arrested could have been acting up and the patrons agreed with them. Heck how many of the "eye witnesses" said Michael Brown did nothing wrong? In the video I heard one person say they did nothing wrong, I just wish the audio was better and I could hear/understand the manager and the two that were arrested. At just over 3 minutes in I hear who I believe to be the manager say "I told them not to.." Couldn't make out the rest. And I doubt we'll ever get her side of the story, under any agreement they made for her to leave the company I'm sure non disclosure was a part of it. I'm not saying she was right, just that she may not have been wrong to tell them to leave.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wrong can be in the eye of the beholder. The two that were arrested could have been acting up and the patrons agreed with them. Heck how many of the "eye witnesses" said Michael Brown did nothing wrong? In the video I heard one person say they did nothing wrong, I just wish the audio was better and I could hear/understand the manager and the two that were arrested. At just over 3 minutes in I hear who I believe to be the manager say "I told them not to.." Couldn't make out the rest. And I doubt we'll ever get her side of the story, under any agreement they made for her to leave the company I'm sure non disclosure was a part of it. I'm not saying she was right, just that she may not have been wrong to tell them to leave.

So why didn't the manager say "whatever else" these guys were doing. They released the 911 call and the manager stated:

"Hi, I have two gentlemen at my café that are refusing to make a purchase or leave. I'm at the Starbucks at 18th and Spruce," a Starbucks employee told police last Thursday shortly after 4:30 p.m.

If they were acting up, that's probably the time to say they were "acting up." As it appears currently, the manager had an issue with them simply being there, and not buying anything. There has been no indication that prior to the men being asked to leave that they were causing any sort of disturbance, nor afterwards. "Could have been," isn't validated in any way during this instance, not from the patron you mention, nor the person who took the video... and as of yet staff hasn't made any comments one way or another. If one wants to doubt the story we've been presented, in order to make those two guys wrong (other than them trespassing), then one can create whatever excuse they want to justify their stance. There always a "could have been," despite what seems obvious, to me, that these guys (for whatever reason) weren't granted the courtesies that other patrons have been long extended in the past.

Edit: a cursory look on the internet, and you will find other persons in the Starbucks, at the time, who stated that the men had done nothing, and were un-noticed, until the police arrived to handle the situation.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I’d like to hear the manager’s side of the story before I assign a racial motive here. Enough of these kinds of things have turned out to have been wrongly reported once all the facts are known that I’m conditioned to be skeptical. And there just seems to be more to this story than we’re hearing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Some interesting demographics about the zip code where that Starbucks is located. It’s a predominately white area. High number of Educated people with Bachelors or better. High number of foreign born residents. High number of Asians compared with blacks. Low number of blacks. Predominantly democrats. Home values are high. Most people rent. Rent is high. Property taxes are high. Very high population of young adults < 30. Median age is late 20s. A lot of college students live there. Residents don’t tend to live there long before moving elsewhere. It’s basically Bernieville USA.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Transgender Woman (Man) Claims Discrimination After Booked Into Male Section Of Jail During Protest « CBS Sacramento

Ebony Ava Harper was arrested and booked into the Sacramento County Jail on charges of failing to disperse during a protest, and resisting an officer.

Harper, who identifies as a transgender woman, says her experience Thursday was humiliating, and a nightmare.

“My humanity was stripped, I was searched by men, and they videotaped me, I began to cry because I didn’t feel comfortable being searched by a guy,” Harper said.

Harper says she was then booked with the male population, where she says she feared for her safety.

“I have some female body parts; I just felt dehumanized,” she added.

A nightmare? Alright.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    FWIW, when I traveled Europe last year all of the businesses had bathrooms with locks that opened with a one time use code. The code was printed on the receipt you got after you bought something. I wonder if that may be coming our way eventually.
    Chicago has a lot of them already. I've never seen it printed on the receipt though.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Enjoy a free coffee, everyone.

Just say you identify as a minority. If they refuse to serve you, sue them.

Virtue signaling should be painful and cost millions.

DbEU4bqVAAAqaqk.jpg:large

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Enjoy a free coffee, everyone.

Just say you identify as a minority. If they refuse to serve you, sue them.

Virtue signaling should be painful and cost millions.

DbEU4bqVAAAqaqk.jpg:large

You know that's fake right? Whomever created that, is doing nothing but taking the opportunity to sow discord.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So why didn't the manager say "whatever else" these guys were doing. They released the 911 call and the manager stated:

If they were acting up, that's probably the time to say they were "acting up." As it appears currently, the manager had an issue with them simply being there, and not buying anything. There has been no indication that prior to the men being asked to leave that they were causing any sort of disturbance, nor afterwards. "Could have been," isn't validated in any way during this instance, not from the patron you mention, nor the person who took the video... and as of yet staff hasn't made any comments one way or another. If one wants to doubt the story we've been presented, in order to make those two guys wrong (other than them trespassing), then one can create whatever excuse they want to justify their stance. There always a "could have been," despite what seems obvious, to me, that these guys (for whatever reason) weren't granted the courtesies that other patrons have been long extended in the past.

Edit: a cursory look on the internet, and you will find other persons in the Starbucks, at the time, who stated that the men had done nothing, and were un-noticed, until the police arrived to handle the situation.

Yes I heard the 911 call, why would that be the time to speak up? Does it matter for the offense they were committing? Why draw out the call when it could be told to the responding officer(s)? I've had to call the police a couple of times, and generally didn't go into a lot of detail. Told them the basics and that was it.

And yes that does appear to be the indication, is there any indication that it was because of race? Yes it could have been, it could have also not been. You seem to have no problem believing it must have been that without anything other than the 2 were black. Perhaps it's your own implicit bias? Oh and I found a very slanted article where the manager spoke to a reporter. Per the manager that location has had a problem with loitering and a policy against it and has called the police multiple times in the year she has worked at that location for people who refused to leave when asked. I wonder why the reporter didn't link to an audio or video of the interview? I'm sure he at least audio recorded it.
    https://apple.news/AYlFb6RSpTIiXQFxA6xn6GA

Do you happen to have links? I've seen a couple, but the one person that is the most outspoken about it, the one that posted the short video may not have actually been there. Although she has repeated claimed to be. ETA Once again, how many witnesses claimed Michael Brown did nothing wrong?
    DePino, a local author, did not shoot the video, she told Billy Penn, but posted it after a friend recorded it.
    https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018...ests-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont/518578002/

I think I’d like to hear the manager’s side of the story before I assign a racial motive here. Enough of these kinds of things have turned out to have been wrongly reported once all the facts are known that I’m conditioned to be skeptical. And there just seems to be more to this story than we’re hearing.

She supposedly talked to a reporter, the very biased article I linked above. Although I would like to hear a neutral interview.

You know that's fake right? Whomever created that, is doing nothing but taking the opportunity to sow discord.
    Yep it's fake, but IMO funny. As one of the comments I read said, I bet Starbucks would honor it. It actually wouldn't surprise me, at least in liberal areas.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I had a friend at this, she said the protesters wouldn't let people take video and didn't feel like she could leave. Funny I'd think if what you want is attention you'd encourage videos.

DePauw students voice concerns over recent racial, hateful incidents at Jenna Fischer event | FOX59

The incidents include a racist threat found in a restroom at The Inn at DePauw, a homophobic and an anti-Semitic message found in a bathroom, an incident of a student “engaging in offensive behavior at the Duck,” and a racial slur formed by rocks in a park near campus, according to an email University President Mark McCoy sent out to the campus. A university spokesman said Tuesday night before the lecture, they learned of an additional incident. This one included racial slurs written on a toilet seat. They are being investigated through the Office of Public Safety and Greencastle Police Department.

Every. single. one. of those is false flag bull****. We have seen it time and time again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a friend at this, she said the protesters wouldn't let people take video and didn't feel like she could leave. Funny I'd think if what you want is attention you'd encourage videos.

DePauw students voice concerns over recent racial, hateful incidents at Jenna Fischer event | FOX59

So "Pam" from "The Office" shows up and this is when they choose to have they're little poorly-thought-out tantrum? Seems 'on point'. And, yes, "tantrum" regardless of what they were protesting...or thought they were protesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom