• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Every one of them has FAILED the critical thinking test.
    And probably so has their education system.

Free speech allows them their protest and signs. Also allows them to say things others don't want to hear.
    Without it, they'd be arrested.
    But I guess they can't follow that process.
    No silly. Only those that don't think like them will be arrested. Duh!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    These people seem to have an exquisite amount of time on their hands. When I was in law school I was too busy to protest speakers...or be political, really, at all. I was...y'know...studying.

They'll "demand" that their grades should be adjusted for missed class time and tests.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Starbucks to close over 8,000 stores in the U.S. on May 29 "to conduct racial-bias education geared toward preventing discrimination in our stores."

This comes after a recent story of two black men being arrested in a Philadelphia Starbucks after the manager called the police. They said they were there waiting on a friend, and the manager asked them to leave.

Maybe just fire that manager and not do a "virtue signal day"?

Why fire the manager? Unless their policy is to allow non-customers to use their store, it doesn't sound like he did anything wrong. And fireing him/her would just be virtue signaling. They were asked to leave, they refused, the police were called and they asked them multiple times to leave, they refused, they were arrested. They could have waited outside just as well as inside. I doubt the weather was that bad that day considering at least one of the bicycle officers were wearing short sleeve shirts.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They'll "demand" that their grades should be adjusted for missed class time and tests.

[walter brennan voice]
    Back in my day, 90% of the classes had 1 event that was graded- an essay final exam at the end of the semester with between 1 and 5 questions. No quizzes, no midterms, no papers, no daily assignments. You either put in the work to learn all semester long knowing that anything from the first day to the last could be on the exam, or you didn't. If you didn't, chances are you would not be back next semester...or you transferred to Cooley.
    [/walter brennan voice]

[video=youtube;S0JsYKHTJlg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JsYKHTJlg[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well... back in my day (nuke school) there were NO multiple choice questions, fill in the blanks, etc.
    And, there was no cheat sheet allowed that had formulas on it.

You had to memorize the formulas.
    And you had to not only come up with the answer, but explain how you got there.
    You could come up with the right answer, and still only get a 10 percent on the answer if you didn't show your work, or your work was BS and you accidently got the right answer.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why fire the manager? Unless their policy is to allow non-customers to use their store, it doesn't sound like he did anything wrong. And fireing him/her would just be virtue signaling. They were asked to leave, they refused, the police were called and they asked them multiple times to leave, they refused, they were arrested. They could have waited outside just as well as inside. I doubt the weather was that bad that day considering at least one of the bicycle officers were wearing short sleeve shirts.

I took the "day of racial sensitivity training" to be an admission of guilt on their part. They seem to see some wrongdoing, as though he had no grounds to ask them to leave.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Starbucks to close over 8,000 stores in the U.S. on May 29 "to conduct racial-bias education geared toward preventing discrimination in our stores."

This comes after a recent story of two black men being arrested in a Philadelphia Starbucks after the manager called the police. They said they were there waiting on a friend, and the manager asked them to leave.

Maybe just fire that manager and not do a "virtue signal day"?

DbAMvtKU8AAWhR7.jpg:large

I wondered when this would appear. The only party involved in this situation that acted appropriately was the Philly PD. I've been pushing hard against people on FB trying to place blame on them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

It is unclear if the manager was fired. However, as it appears to me (as stated by other patrons who go to this location), people were regularly allowed to do exactly what these two young men were doing. If these two guys weren't doing anything wrong, why did the manager single them out and ask them to leave? Now this does not mean that the guys should have stayed put and used that as an excuse. If a business owner, or it's proxy, asks you to leave, you leave... if you don't, you're breaking the law. Maybe the manager needs to be fired, maybe he/she doesn't... it depends on why the reason these guys were asked to leave, and whether the home office agrees.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    EDIT: Correction, the video I'm talking about below may not be the same incident. It was posted by Shawn King, to illustrate what he thought was implicit racism. It was not made clear that this video is reportedly from a similar incident in California. So the following is likely not from the Philadelphia incident.

About the thing at Starbucks. Turns out there's more to it than what was reported. They weren't asked to leave because they were hanging out waiting for friends. Another video surfaced, which was taken by one of the people arrested. Apparently it was about bathroom use. A black person wanted to use the restroom, which apparently requires a code.

The manager declined to give the person the code, apparently because the person wasn't planning to buy anything. The person saw a white guy coming out of the restroom, and asked if the guy had bought anything. The guy said not yet. So they went back to the manager to ask why the white guy was given the bathroom code but he wasn't. He kinda got loud and asked is it because he has black skin. And I guess I can't blame him for being frustrated, and at this point he's making a scene, so the manager asked him to leave. He refused to leave, and she called the cops. The cops came and arrested him and another person for trespassing, because they refused to leave. It was NOT because they were waiting around for friends, as was widely reported.

Some take-aways, the reported narrative is false. The cops didn't arrest him BECAUSE they're racists. They had to arrest him, because the manager called them and reported him for trespassing. Cops were just doing their job.

It could be the manager was a little racist. But we don't have enough information to confirm that. She's Asian, so obviously a different race--that makes racism a possible motivator, though not necessarily a likely one. It could have been implicit racism, that she let the white guy use the restroom, because she thought he looked like a person who was there to buy coffee, and just assumed the black guy wasn't. Or, maybe it was overt racism, that she just didn't want the black guy to use their restroom.

Or, maybe it was neither implicit nor overt racism. We're not shown all the facts with which we can make an accurate judgement. We don't know if the white guy coming out of the restroom had indicated to the manager if he planned to buy something. That certainly changes things. We can infer from the facts that the black guy probably had indicated that he wasn't going to buy anything, because he was looking to find white people coming out of the restrooms who hadn't bought anything.

So yeah, maybe the manager was at least a little racist, or maybe racism wasn't involved at all. But we're lead by the media in a narrative which makes racism in that incident a certainty.

Last edited:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    EDIT: Correction, the video I'm talking about below may not be the same incident. It was posted by Shawn King, to illustrate what he thought was implicit racism. It was not made clear that this video is reportedly from a similar incident in California. So the following is likely not from the Philadelphia incident.

About the thing at Starbucks. Turns out there's more to it than what was reported. They weren't asked to leave because they were hanging out waiting for friends. Another video surfaced, which was taken by one of the people arrested. Apparently it was about bathroom use. A black person wanted to use the restroom, which apparently requires a code.

The manager declined to give the person the code, apparently because the person wasn't planning to buy anything. The person saw a white guy coming out of the restroom, and asked if the guy had bought anything. The guy said not yet. So they went back to the manager to ask why the white guy was given the bathroom code but he wasn't. He kinda got loud and asked is it because he has black skin. And I guess I can't blame him for being frustrated, and at this point he's making a scene, so the manager asked him to leave. He refused to leave, and she called the cops. The cops came and arrested him and another person for trespassing, because they refused to leave. It was NOT because they were waiting around for friends, as was widely reported.

Some take-aways, the reported narrative is false. The cops didn't arrest him BECAUSE they're racists. They had to arrest him, because the manager called them and reported him for trespassing. Cops were just doing their job.

It could be the manager was a little racist. But we don't have enough information to confirm that. She's Asian, so obviously a different race--that makes racism a possible motivator, though not necessarily a likely one. It could have been implicit racism, that she let the white guy use the restroom, because she thought he looked like a person who was there to buy coffee, and just assumed the black guy wasn't. Or, maybe it was overt racism, that she just didn't want the black guy to use their restroom.

Or, maybe it was neither implicit nor overt racism. We're not shown all the facts with which we can make an accurate judgement. We don't know if the white guy coming out of the restroom had indicated to the manager if he planned to buy something. That certainly changes things. We can infer from the facts that the black guy probably had indicated that he wasn't going to buy anything, because he was looking to find white people coming out of the restrooms who hadn't bought anything.

So yeah, maybe the manager was at least a little racist, or maybe racism wasn't involved at all. But we're lead by the media in a narrative which makes racism in that incident a certainty.
    :yesway:. Saved me a lot of typing. Manager got fired. Apparently a cop said he also had been previously denied the restroom by her, for not buying anything. Another cop said that store frequently called Police. PD did nothing wrong IMO. Oh ...and I agree on everything else above.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is unclear if the manager was fired. However, as it appears to me (as stated by other patrons who go to this location), people were regularly allowed to do exactly what these two young men were doing. If these two guys weren't doing anything wrong, why did the manager single them out and ask them to leave? Now this does not mean that the guys should have stayed put and used that as an excuse. If a business owner, or it's proxy, asks you to leave, you leave... if you don't, you're breaking the law. Maybe the manager needs to be fired, maybe he/she doesn't... it depends on why the reason these guys were asked to leave, and whether the home office agrees.

Like I said, the store manager may be a little fruity, but if the manager says people are trespassing, the cops pretty much have to do their job. Seems like there's only two things necessary for that. 1) does the manager want them off the property? 2) are they still on the property? Yes to both, get the bracelets out.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, when I traveled Europe last year all of the businesses had bathrooms with locks that opened with a one time use code. The code was printed on the receipt you got after you bought something. I wonder if that may be coming our way eventually.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    FWIW, when I traveled Europe last year all of the businesses had bathrooms with locks that opened with a one time use code. The code was printed on the receipt you got after you bought something. I wonder if that may be coming our way eventually.

Bathroom are serious business in Europe... I doubt such will ever come our way, as it isn't uncommon to see people in Europe, using the bathroom anywhere. In fact, in Berlin, these aren't uncommon.

1zyy98p.jpg

I doubt American sensibilities would allow this.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Bathroom are serious business in Europe... I doubt such will ever come our way, as it isn't uncommon to see people in Europe, using the bathroom anywhere. In fact, in Berlin, these aren't uncommon.

1zyy98p.jpg

Given our "gender sensitivities"? No damn way those would work here. Can you imagine the :crying:

edit: I would like to have one of those in my shop

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Maybe if I’m over there and really, really had to go. But yeah. I don’t want that here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom