• Status
    Not open for further replies.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    ....and less people would be ashamed of Jesus if he just did a little bit better job cutting the lawn.
    thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg

Our youngest (15) seems to have no interest in FB at all, and the older kids barely use it. They also rarely answer their phones - text only.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Our youngest (15) seems to have no interest in FB at all, and the older kids barely use it. They also rarely answer their phones - text only.

It's hard to say what the life-cycle is of any social media platform these days. I think the more fad-prone people are, the more volatile the platform. Snapchat seems to be the trend still among young people. Who knows if they'll progress to less chat-oriented platforms like facebook, or they'll stay with snapchat or whatever else the new fad is next year.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That will be fine with me. I will say I rely on FB more as a utility, a way of getting news, sports, and weather, moreso than I use it for "connecting" with people. Never really used it for that other than for friends I already have. If/when FB does fall, I wonder where the utilitarian part of it will migrate to.

Couldn't you accomplish most of what people say they like FB for by simply encouraging family/friends to get a twitter account and then follow each other? As far as other, peripheral acquaintances [STRIKE]stalking you[/STRIKE] reconnecting randomly, that might be a bit harder

Maybe twitter could buy tinder or something to accommodate all the people who seem to want to "reconnect" with old flames in a "insert tab A in slot B" sort of way

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Heh. I think what's going to happen is it'll be full of dormant accounts and ... let's just say it... older users. I don't see a lot of the younger generation gravitating toward it like they did before. People... while it may seem otherwise... are becoming slightly more privacy-aware in some areas. While they don't mind giving it away with every new Home AI listening device... I think when places like Facebook slip up and show how badly they're handling private data, it hurts user retention.

I see Facebook becoming the "uncool" place to be. But you're right, it's not an easy area for a newcomer to swoop in. Might take another existing platform (Instagram?) to evolve and fill that niche.

Social media will never stop. Twitter will be the big dog for a long time. Reddit is trying to become Facebook... making little moves here and there to add "profiles" and whatnot (users are vocal about opposing this). Twitter might go that route, too... if they see chinks in the Facebook armor.

Dude, you might want to grab a towel and dab behind those ears. A lot of "older users" are way ahead of your curve on preserving data security and privacy (but you could probably take us in World of Basementcraft) :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

This isn't limited to the young, it's just the way (a part of) the world works.

Voice, I have to interrupt what I'm doing and listen to find out what it's all about. Same with voicemail. This is made even more difficult if working in a high noise environment. A text I can quickly scan and triage without missing a beat. Its the same reason I detest video presentation over text unless the video shows something difficult to describe or of high visual impact. Informational (talking head reading me the story), not so much.

Singing, dancing "content" is for the short attention span generation

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Couldn't you accomplish most of what people say they like FB for by simply encouraging family/friends to get a twitter account and then follow each other? As far as other, peripheral acquaintances [STRIKE]stalking you[/STRIKE] reconnecting randomly, that might be a bit harder

Maybe twitter could buy tinder or something to accommodate all the people who seem to want to "reconnect" with old flames in a "insert tab A in slot B" sort of way

I do have a twitter account for that utility purpose of it. I have far fewer friends/relatives active there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Heh. I think what's going to happen is it'll be full of dormant accounts and ... let's just say it... older users. I don't see a lot of the younger generation gravitating toward it like they did before. People... while it may seem otherwise... are becoming slightly more privacy-aware in some areas. While they don't mind giving it away with every new Home AI listening device... I think when places like Facebook slip up and show how badly they're handling private data, it hurts user retention.

I see Facebook becoming the "uncool" place to be. But you're right, it's not an easy area for a newcomer to swoop in. Might take another existing platform (Instagram?) to evolve and fill that niche.

Social media will never stop. Twitter will be the big dog for a long time. Reddit is trying to become Facebook... making little moves here and there to add "profiles" and whatnot (users are vocal about opposing this). Twitter might go that route, too... if they see chinks in the Facebook armor.

The average age of facebook users is 40. You're right, younger users don't use it. Snapchat is probably the most popular among teens now. It's real time social media in a way that Facebook, and even Twitter, isn't.

As far as being privacy aware, in my experience the older people are more worried about that than younger people. I see fewer young people caring much about privacy. So it's not as if the older people don't care, it's that they tend to be naive about social media and the inherent publicity of it. They are unaware of how not private it is. I often have conversations with relatives over 40 that start out something like this, "um, you know everyone can see what you just posted, right?", followed by :runaway:

Dude, you might want to grab a towel and dab behind those ears. A lot of "older users" are way ahead of your curve on preserving data security and privacy (but you could probably take us in World of Basementcraft) :)

It's not a knock on older people, and he's not wrong.

If you've worked around computers all your life, and you've used social media since social media came into being, you're savvy enough to know what lurks in the shadows. I'd say more older people care about what lurks in the shadows, they generally lack the social media savvy to see the shadows. I tell people, "if it's a free service on the internet, YOU are most likely the product." A lot more younger people seem to be okay with that than those over 40. When I tell older people that, they're shocked and want to know how to protect their privacy. When I tell younger people, they're like "Ya, so what?" They're more aware and more willing participants of the quid pro quo.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But in that same quote, he also assured us he's rooting that bias out. Yeah...um-hmmm...

If we go by results, he's rooting out dissenting opinions. Facebook is probably the greatest bubble inducing ****hole in all of social media. And they take your PII information from all your friend's phones.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [snip]
    If you've worked around computers all your life, and you've used social media since social media came into being, you're savvy enough to know what lurks in the shadows. I'd say more older people care about what lurks in the shadows, they generally lack the social media savvy to see the shadows. I tell people, "if it's a free service on the internet, YOU are most likely the product." A lot more younger people seem to be okay with that than those over 40. When I tell older people that, they're shocked and want to know how to protect their privacy.

When I tell younger people, they're like "Ya, so what?" They're more [STRIKE]aware[/STRIKE] [feckless] and more willing participants of the [STRIKE]quid pro quo[/STRIKE] [Auto-da-fé].

FThatFY

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Quick one this morning.

There's a group called "Bully Hunters" that makes the unsubstantiated claim that over 20 million women have been driven from gaming by “toxic masculinity.”

So they did a stream event, in an effort to seek out "bullies" in online games, live. Even got a signal boost from Steel Series, a creator of computer gaming gear.

Bad idea. Aside from the spokeswoman of the "Bully Hunters" stream being caught on video calling people "fa****s" online... (she later excuses this by saying "I'm bisexual!"... which I think is similar to another word and saying "I'm black, it's okay!")

Turns out the Bully Hunters stream was faking all their matches. They used one Steam account, and just changed the name over and over.

The very first person "being bullied" was 'therosethorn', and they called in "BULLY HUNTER_77"

Just a propaganda campaign. If gamers were actually as toxic as they claim, they wouldn't have to fake it.

DanocqvVwAAVpOb.jpg:small

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom