• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I sold a shotgun, a 9mm pistol, and two WASR 10 Aks in order to finance going back to school and get me a laptop and what not.. Makes me so sad.. Had to start my collection up again and now i only have 3 rifles and a pistol

It might make you sad now, but I applaud you for taking the initiative to make a better life for yourself. :yesway:

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    My wife does not have an exact count, but she knows where they are stored.

What is more important is that she understands they have $$$ value, and that if anything happens to me, she will enlist other family members to assist her in getting the best value she can for them.

Years back we had a family member sell her dead husband's guns for pennies on the dollar. She had no idea of their value, and was taken advantage by a neighbor. By the time anyone knew what happened, it was too late.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    The other night, I was cleaning a couple of 1911s, Bersas and a Sig when my wife happened by. She has begun to go shooting with us and has a lot of fun shooting a P22, but is not really a gun person. It was actually a pretty good conversation with me and my 13 year old explaining the difference between a 9, 380 and 45 and letting her get the feel of each and talking about what she wants to try to shoot at the next range trip. Then, she asked that question that I always dread hearing. First, she looks at the table with 2 Kimbers, a couple of Bersa's and the Sig and observes 'You must have almost $2000 in guns' then asks 'So, how many handguns do you have?'.

The first statement was met with a simple 'Oh, I don't know... could be', but the question is a tough one to dodge. She was looking at a small portion of the handgun collection. So, how do you answer that question? If you hedge and say 'I don't know', you either sound irresponsible or like you're hiding something. If you give an accurate answer, you sleep on the couch that night. Or, do you do what I did and guess at the highest number she would find acceptable and rationalize the rest to yourself by not counting them for reasons like 'She shoots the P22, so I can't count that as my gun' or 'The Springfield 1911 will someday be given to one of the sons, so I might as well not count it now'.

Most of us have wives that support our indulgences, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that takes advantage of the fact that they look pretty much alike to keep building a collection.

My answer is always the same. You may quote me when you use it:

"How many guns DO you have?"
    "More than one and less than too many..."

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My answer is always the same. You may quote me when you use it:

"How many guns DO you have?"
    "More than one and less than too many..."

I like that and it's accurate too. We don't have many secrets from each other after 25 years, but there are some things that don't need each other's input. We each keep a hobby budget and I don't want to know how much that pair of shoes cost and she does not really want to know how many guns I've collected over the years.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    I like your approach.....:D

Fortunatly my Wife is also an active shooter and doesn't ask to many questions. But this doesn't mean everytime I bring something home that I don't here.....

"Did You Really Need Another One"

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was THINKING .... "ya know, I really SHOULD tell her when I'm gonna lay out some big cash on a gun..." so I told her all about the salty new marlin I bought on GB. And heard about it for a month. So much for that bullsxxt. I'll still tell her before I buy anything else of real value... but not the guns.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    She gave up.

My wife only knows I have a lot of guns. She has a few favorites that she likes, but has not interest in what "new toy" I acquire and I really don't pay too much attention to her "new toys" as well. We have a budget and stay within that budge. She has as much interest in my safe contents as I have in her closet.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I sold a shotgun, a 9mm pistol, and two WASR 10 Aks in order to finance going back to school and get me a laptop and what not.. Makes me so sad.. Had to start my collection up again and now i only have 3 rifles and a pistol

So you are right back where you started.......+ your fiance's education and a computer. Nice job:yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know what the OP is talking about. My wife is not anti-gun, supports the fact that I carry, has her LTCH, and is generally proficient with firearms. That said she wants to authorize large purchases. This includes guns. So, if I can justify it then I can have it. Or if I trade for it I can have it. This does give me some room to work within the rules.

Top Bottom