The Great FFL Transfer Fiasco of 2014. (Details still unfolding)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This same exact thing happens with UPS, and it's even worse because they are not open on Saturdays, and will not forward packages. We deal with this all the time but only if sellers/shippers can't follow simple instructions. The store owner can pick the item up at FEDEX after a certain time. It's not too difficult to do, but you do have to drive over there. They are open until 9:00PM.

UPS is no better than Fedex in my experience, I won't use either one if I can avoid it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Am I missing something or is this the first transfer this particular FFL has handled? If not than how has the FFL worked out receiving transfers before? I think the OP needs to communicate better with the FFL.

If the FFL has agreed to receive the transfer then it is their responsibility. (I am assuming that the OP made pre-arrangements with the FFL to receive the transfer)

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Am I missing something or is this the first transfer this particular FFL has handled? If not than how has the FFL worked out receiving transfers before? I think the OP needs to communicate better with the FFL.

If the FFL has agreed to receive the transfer then it is their responsibility. (I am assuming that the OP made pre-arrangements with the FFL to receive the transfer)

The FFL is a preferred dealer with CDNN sports, the company that I bought the firearm from. When I spoke to the FFL on the phone before I purchased the gun they said that no special arrangements needed to be made, and that I should just have the gun sent to their address. I have not been able to speak to the FFL yet because they have not opened yet for today, and failed delivery happened this morning. I will be calling them as soon as they open today, and I will report what I find out.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The FFL is a preferred dealer with CDNN sports, the company that I bought the firearm from. When I spoke to the FFL on the phone before I purchased the gun they said that no special arrangements needed to be made, and that I should just have the gun sent to their address. I have not been able to speak to the FFL yet because they have not opened yet for today, and failed delivery happened this morning. I will be calling them as soon as they open today, and I will report what I find out.
    Got it. By "arrangements" I meant that you spoke to the FFL and made sure they would receive the transfer so they were made aware that one would be on the way.

If they are a preferred dealer then they obviously have received transfers before.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Alright, I got in touch with the dealer. They have people at the shop during the day Wed-Fri, but not Mon/Tue. So I think this problem will be avoided assuming someone is there early enough tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Does FedEx Express not talk to FedEx Ground?

years ago Fedex didn't even have ground service, an air service only carrier.

when they started doing ground, the company I worked for had 2 different accounts with them 1 for ground 1 for Express. and got 2 separate bills each month. decals on their trucks were different, too. purple for the Express, Green for ground.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you have business printing centers about called FedEx/Kinkos or FedEx business centers? They are usually open a very wide range of hours ( My local one is open until 2am ) and the listed recipient of a shipment ( in this case the FFL ) can go online and select delivery to that entity, as it is FedEx owned, and it will be held there for after hours pick-up. There is no charge. I haven't actually heard of this being done with a firearm but I don't think it would be an issue. If your FFL has the tracking information he can go online under the tracking subheading on the FedEx Office website to access this option. before you persue this option I believe you can check and see locations of potential nearby FedEx Office operations

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think the OP's a little wound up about this. Give the dealer a chance. If he takes in transfers, I'm sure he's got a way of handling packages when he's not there (gets them on the 2nd or 3rd delivery).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another example of why I despise Fedex.

Me too. Like when they say it will be there in three days, dammit it will be there in three days! No more AND DEFINITELY NO LESS!

CSB: Ordered something from Chicago and they shipped it ground. I saw it arrive at the depot the very next day according to the tracking info. Coincidentally I was heading by there, so I figured I would stop by. With tracking info in hand I walked in the front door...

Long story short I was told they could not release it until the assigned delivery date under any circumstances and it had to sit there two more days before they would release it. After all, if I wanted next day service I should have paid for it. :xmad:

UPS however has no such a**hattery... I used to order stuff from CDW at work several times a week. If I shipped it ground, by god I had it the next day because thats just how long it took. :rockwoot:
    Fedex ground was typically about a $1.50 less but didnt arrive until either the second or third day.

This same exact thing happens with UPS, and it's even worse because they are not open on Saturdays, and will not forward packages. We deal with this all the time but only if sellers/shippers can't follow simple instructions. The store owner can pick the item up at FEDEX after a certain time. It's not too difficult to do, but you do have to drive over there. They are open until 9:00PM.

They do now if you have a login to their system. You can now redirect packages if something happens or flag it to be held for pickup.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here. In the O P you said FedEx suggested having a courier pick up the gun. Get a letter from the FFL appointing you his courier. Show the letter to FedEx and get your gun and take it to the FFL.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I had a similar thing happen with a hazmat shipment. They come to this area at a time when I am rarely ever home. The nearest Fedex terminal is in Lafayette which is a good 80 mile trip for me. The package was sent back to the dealer (after the 3rd attempt) who sent it out again but via UPS this time. My package arrived just a couple days later after it arrived at the original shipping department.

To the OP, I'd suggest that you try Caldwell and Company on the SE side of Lebanon. He lives there and is the most professional and drama-free FFL transfer dealer I have ever dealt with.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Am I missing something? How does this business normally receive packages? I see they have a machine shop and ship out a but of accessories so they have to have a "shipping dept." It's up to them to get stuff. It's up to them to pick it up if they need to. If they can't handle this simple task, well...

And what's with that lame-o name? Too much like ZX Gun.

Relax, have a homebrew.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    You cannot modify most firearms shipments (hold at depot). We did not know this gun was coming as the OP never called/emailed to forward tracking info. We stay on top of the shipments we know are coming and get our deliveries Wed-Sat from Fedex/UPS. We ship 20-25 accessory orders every day via USPS. I'm not sure this warrants a "Fiasco." Next time, if you send the tracking ahead, we could make sure it's signed for on the first day. Apologies for the delay

As for being a personal courier of the FFL, that's completely unacceptable. Anyone not listed as a responsible person on the FFL has no business touching it other than the carrier before it's logged into the book. I'm not sure I know any gunshop who would authorize this if it is even legal (doubtful).

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    You cannot modify most firearms shipments (hold at depot). 3 We did not know this gun was coming as the OP never called/emailed or forwarded tracking info. We stay on top of the shipments we know are coming and get our deliveries Wed-Sat from Fedex/UPS. We ship 20-25 accessory orders every day via USPS. I'm not sure this warrants a "Fiasco." Next time, if you call ahead, we could make sure it's signed for on the first day. Apologies for the delay

As for being a personal courier of the FFL, that's completely unacceptable. Anyone not listed as a responsible person on the FFL has no business touching it other than the carrier before it's logged into the book. I'm not sure I know any gunshop who would authorize this if it is even legal (doubtful).

He said he talked to you in post #25.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    He said he talked to you in post #25.

He only talked to them before the sale. That doesn't even mean he actually bought it. Why would they be looking for a package that they don't even know if they should be expecting?

When I spoke to the FFL on the phone before I purchased the gun they said that no special arrangements needed to be made, and that I should just have the gun sent to their address. I have not been able to speak to the FFL yet because they have not opened yet for today, and failed delivery happened this morning. I will be calling them as soon as they open today, and I will report what I find out.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    We get maybe 15-20 calls a week from anonymous people saying they are looking at something on GB, Cheaper, Bud's, etc and if they purchase, can they transfer. We always close with, if you do, please forward the tracking info. There is no way to link a called with a shipment.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We get maybe 15-20 calls a week from anonymous people saying they are looking at something on GB, Cheaper, Bud's, etc and if they purchase, can they transfer. We always close with, if you do, please forward the tracking info. There is no way to link a called with a shipment.

After checking your profile, I now know where the "Z" in "ZR Tactical" comes from.

I can't believe you're not waiting with your nose pressed against the door for every gun someone wants transfer. Shocked!

Like most of these threads, it's either a mix up in communication or expectations.

Top Bottom