• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I was perusing an old copy of GUNS Magazine today, Feb. 1960, and came across an article titled, "Police Guns Blaze in College Match," by Bill Toney, Jr. on p 31.

This article starts (underlining mine):

"Converging on the Indiana University campus at Bloomington last May were nearly 300 policemen from many states of the Union, Puerto Rico, Canada, and all points between. They were not going to school, though ISU has a top school of police science and administration. Rather, they came to prove what they had learned: to show that they knew how to shoot in the most unusual shooting match of the season. The Colt company and Indiana University had teamed up and footed the bill for this competition, doubly unusual because it featured strictly combat-type events fired in combat situations against time."

Herman B. Wells was IU president. That was then.

Fast forward to the presidency of Myles Brand, under which the shooting sports program was gutted (which was always full), the gun club was ejected from campus (where all the local PDs trained), and licensed staff were prohibited from carrying by campus policy (prior to this, staff with a LTCH could carry at work/on campus - ZERO incidents that I'm aware of).

This is the situation as it exists today.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They used to sell .38's "Saturday Night Specials" in the ad's in the back of magazines.

I'd seen this posted here earlier in the month...

20mmsolothurnad1957.jpg

TK :dunno:

Top Bottom