trump-idiot-3.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/neutrinos-lead-to-unexpected-discovery-in-basic-math-20191113/

Physicists studying neutrinos figure out a previously unknown (and unsuspected) link between eigenvalues and eigenvectors that simplify the calculations in the latter.

That's kinda obscure, but it deals with mathematical operations to rotate and transform matrices of objects from the real world.

Ok. That's still obscure. But, the article doesn't say it, but this could be a real breakthrough for computer programming of simulations.

Ah... junior year math classes... takes me back to Math 410... :wwub:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/neutrinos-lead-to-unexpected-discovery-in-basic-math-20191113/

Physicists studying neutrinos figure out a previously unknown (and unsuspected) link between eigenvalues and eigenvectors that simplify the calculations in the latter.

That's kinda obscure, but it deals with mathematical operations to rotate and transform matrices of objects from the real world.

Ok. That's still obscure. But, the article doesn't say it, but this could be a real breakthrough for computer programming of simulations.

Skynet's beginning?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    [juice-jacking video]

Some of the video showed devices plugged into the AC outlet with a wall charger, implying that juice-jacking is possible even through an AC outlet. It's not. It's only possible if you plug your USB cable into a USB outlet. If you're using your wall charger plugged into an AC outlet, you're fine.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Some of the video showed devices plugged into the AC outlet with a wall charger, implying that juice-jacking is possible even through an AC outlet. It's not. It's only possible if you plug your USB cable into a USB outlet. If you're using your wall charger plugged into an AC outlet, you're fine.

Yeah, I saw that or a similar pic today talking about a USB condom. The phones were plugged in using the standard charging brick, but the outlets were labeled 220V

Ughhh ... I don't think they're doing that right

View attachment 81681

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I saw that or a similar pic today talking about a USB condom. The phones were plugged in using the standard charging brick, but the outlets were labeled 220V

View attachment 81681

That does not look like a US outlet. I’m not a well traveled man outside of the US. But I’d say that’s probably a foreign outlet with the appropriate plug on the charger. But point made, it’s not plugged straight into the USB.

Probably just a stock photo of phones plugged into a public outlet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can you fly with a battery pack? How about plugging in the pack to charge, while it's charging your phone? Doesn't that break any chances of connection?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That does not look like a US outlet. I’m not a well traveled man outside of the US. But I’d say that’s probably a foreign outlet with the appropriate plug on the charger. But point made, it’s not plugged straight into the USB.

Those outlets support Edison and European style plugs.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Same here, but if that outlet truly delivers 220V, your little charger brick won't know what hit it

Edit: I'm wro... uhhh ... I looked it up, the iPhone brick, at least, is engineered to adapt to common voltages in use throughout the (civilized) world

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Same here, but if that outlet truly delivers 220V, your little charger brick won't know what hit it

Edit: I'm wro... uhhh ... I looked it up, the iPhone brick, at least, is engineered to adapt to common voltages in use throughout the (civilized) world

What?

Where have you been - almost all ...

Oh wait, you've edited your post in the mean time.

But, since I need to keep winning our post count war, I'm posting anyways. ;)

PS Designing 120/240 power supplies are easy. It's the 120-277 supplies that are hard.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

View attachment 81681

Dr. Phil happened to have the man who was formerly the FBI's "Most Wanted Hacker" on today and he showed how a charging cable can be modified to actually be a hacking device. No matter what the power source... as long as it's plugged into a phone/computer. It's done through bluetooth technology apparently. Now granted, the hacker would have to get you to use "their" cable but if they were an unscrupulous Apple or Google employee, quite possible. Or somebody selling USB charging cables on ebay...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Bluetooth is a wireless technology and not done via cables. It has other potential security issues, but wires aren't involved.

Hacking via USB is possible because it includes both data and power wires. Using a power-only connection as pictured above means there is no USB data connection to allow problems. If you connect your device to one of the USB sockets on that wall, that's when a USB "condom" device is recommended to disconnect the data wires.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Bluetooth is a wireless technology and not done via cables. It has other potential security issues, but wires aren't involved.

Hacking via USB is possible because it includes both data and power wires. Using a power-only connection as pictured above means there is no USB data connection to allow problems. If you connect your device to one of the USB sockets on that wall, that's when a USB "condom" device is recommended to disconnect the data wires.

The idea here is that the cable used to charge has been compromised. It now has the ability to pull info from your phone and stream it via Bluetooth to a malicious actor. Bluetooth is not wired, but that is the exfiltration vector. Even if you plug into a wall outlet, the electricity powers both the BlueTooth transmitter, and the circuit that is pulling data from your device.

The USB condom wouldn't stop that because it would be transmitting before getting to the condom.

Top Bottom