• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't know as much about politics as some on this forum, but I have liked what Mitch Daniels has done for the state. He has fought for fiscal responsibility and done a fine job, and he gave us the right to carry in parks. Those two alone make me respect the guy. Anybody have any thoughts on next steps for him? He swears another political office is not in his future, which I can understand, but I think itd be a shame. I'd like to see him take a Senate seat or even make a White House run.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd say a US senate or US house seat may be in his future, although not immediately. As far as the POTUS, I think he's too "normal" for anyone to seriously back him for a nomination.

He has had some experience with Sen. Lugar, so perhaps when he retires Gov. Daniels may be on the ballot to fill that seat.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    I don't know as much about politics as some on this forum, but I have liked what Mitch Daniels has done for the state. He has fought for fiscal responsibility and done a fine job, and he gave us the right to carry in parks. Those two alone make me respect the guy. Anybody have any thoughts on next steps for him? He swears another political office is not in his future, which I can understand, but I think itd be a shame. I'd like to see him take a Senate seat or even make a White House run.

Fiscal repsonsibilty you`ve got to be joking. Mithc balanced the state budget by witholding funds from the counties bankrupting them and cause taxes to go up at the county level. I`ll be glad tp see Hurricane MItch gone, sadly I`m hearing rumblings that he might run for president in 2012.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I moved to Indiana in '99, major budget surplus! A few years later a major budget defecit! Mitch a few years later back to a surplus. Like Obama, he's doing what he said he would, unlike Obama, we are better for it!!

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    I moved to Indiana in '99, major budget surplus! A few years later a major budget defecit! Mitch a few years later back to a surplus. Like Obama, he's doing what he said he would, unlike Obama, we are better for it!!

What county do you live in? My county is broke thanks to Mitch witholding funds that normally are returned to the counties. Now we are facing a County Option income tax to make up the deficit our county employeees haven`t had a pay increase in over 2 years.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    If your county is bankrupt it isn't because of Mitch. The state has with held or slow paid counties under EVERY administration for decades, some more than others. The county option taxes being voted in now are because of the property tax short falls that are showing up in counties (a lot of them...but tellingly not all) after the caps were voted in. County govs. find that voting in more taxes is easier than cutting bloated bureaucracy and services.services. Oh yeah, I believe I read not too long ago that we (IN) were one of only a couple states NOT running a deficit...Oh yeah we leased that toll road for BILLIONS! HAHAHA we aren't paying for salt to keep it open either! He will get my vote again. He is MY ***** MITCH!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What county do you live in? My county is broke thanks to Mitch witholding funds that normally are returned to the counties. Now we are facing a County Option income tax to make up the deficit our county employeees haven`t had a pay increase in over 2 years.

I'm in Morgan, step daughter-in-law (is that correct?) and her husband both work for the county and if I promise not to give their names both support Daniels. As for pay increase, I've not had one in 3 yrs myself, due to economics I'm told:dunno:. In following the articles in the Star it sounds like the township form of government that Hoosiers are so stubbornly defending are keeping a lot of revenue in reserve for ? Eliminate the township system, reduce government and government spending, follow a budget like the rest of us then tell us you need more money!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Ft Branch is awfully close to a VERY blue part of this map.
    Saying it is Mitch's fault your county is hurting financially, is a lot like blaming the bank that you are late on your payment!

Get your own house (county) in order, before looking to blame the neighbor (Mitch) for your own spending habits.

Dude, you are nearly surrounded by the blue counties.
    Think some of that mentality might be seeping in?

I'm just sayin' :dunno:

266pxindianapresidentia.png

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Mitch has is faults, like everyone else, but I like that he withheld funds from the counties. LAKE county in particular is a spoiled rotten fat kid that keeps sucking and sucking tax money and gives nothing in return. By dad (Mitch) finally putting his foot down and saying NO MORE MONEY this stupid kid (LAKE COUNTY) will finally have to be responsible & loss weight (cut all the "posh" gov jobs) and work for a living.

Well that is the hope anyways but knowing this corrupt cesspool of Ds up here they will find a way to continue living for a while longer on the fat.

Part of the problem in IN is we are so in l-o-v-e with our "townships" and duplicate level of gov that does nothing but suck out taxes.

Now if I6BO took a page out of Mitch's book and just said TIGHTEN THEN BELT I wonder if we as a country would be better off. Heck Mr. BIG SPENDER Bush sure as hell did not tighten the belt! :xmad:

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    The counties in this state are all broke from thier own miss management. Hold your county councils and commissioners responsable!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like said many times above, Mitch is doing a great job forcing this state to live within it's means. That includes the counties and smaller cities that in the passed couldn't say no to overspending the peoples money, then crying that they don't have enough.

Sorry, I don't work for the government, and yet the company I work for has not given out raises for over 4 years. Really sucks to have to learn to live within my means. It is so nice to hear Mitch tell all the tax-sucking entities to stop the unnecessary spending and figure out how to live like the common people. At least Mitch seems to finally realize that you can't keep taxing people until there is nothing left to take!

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I find it very interesting how people complain about their counties not having any money because of Mitch Daniels budget cuts. The same people that complained about their property taxes being too high are now complaining about their counties being broke. You cannot have it both ways. I am sure that many counties in Indiana would still have raised taxes regardless of state budget and tax cuts. They would still raise taxes even if we were under the old property tax and inventory tax laws. Now with that said I believe that we have too many politicians on the county level and some need to be eliminated and cut waste. I believe that counties need to take the time grow their economies and bring jobs to their counties instead of going to the state for a hand out. This would increase county revenue and budget short falls. I have not agreed with everything Daniels has done but the state would be in worse shape if the same old spending game was played.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Ft Branch is awfully close to a VERY blue part of this map.
    Saying it is Mitch's fault your county is hurting financially, is a lot like blaming the bank that you are late on your payment!

Get your own house (county) in order, before looking to blame the neighbor (Mitch) for your own spending habits.

Dude, you are nearly surrounded by the blue counties.
    Think some of that mentality might be seeping in?

I'm just sayin' :dunno:

266pxindianapresidentia.png
    Right on!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The bottom line is that government is bloated. Cutting is good. We'll all be surprised at how much government we can live without.

The township system needs to go away. It is just a way for local thugs to keep control of their fiefdom's.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    Mitch governed as a busness man and less as a politican. Yes, he has made mistakes but mistakes as compared to government above and below him?

Although I support him, he could struggle as President because of his demontrated understanding of cost/revenue unlike our government. Anyone on this site that has a checking account Probably understands finance better than our government. You have to take in at least as much as you pay out.

Unfunded mandates from all levels in the name of tax cuts do not work and shines the light in the wrong places.

I support Mitch and his fiscal responsiblitys.

Top Bottom