• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    By influential I mean their features inspired other designs. These are the handguns I believe helped to shape the popular design of handguns throughout the 20th century.

i-W6SnNGq-L.jpg

1911: The grand-daddy of modern handguns, most every modern pistol borrows from the 1911's method of lock-up.

Browning Hi-Power: The next evolution of the 1911 that brought a high capacity double stacked magazine to the table, and a simplified 1911 method of lock-up.

Walther P38: The P38 gave us a 9mm service pistol with a double action / single action trigger and a manual safety / decocker. Until the Glock craze of the late 1980's, double action "wonder 9's" were all the rage and the Walter set the stage for that era of handgun development.

Glock 17: While it wasn't the first polymer framed pistol and it wasn't the first pistol to use a striker, it did bring these features and others together into a package that hadn't been seen before. The Glock gave us a polymer framed pistol with a 17 round magazine and a unique passive safety incorporated into the trigger itself that made the pistol stand out in the market place. Ultimately the Glock has inspired countless other companies to copy it's features and it helped to bring the modern polymer pistol to the forefront of handgunning.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I would definitly go along with the 1911, probably the most copied gun ever. I would also believe that Glock has made an impact. One other gun that I feel should be on the list is Ruger Mk series, probably one of America's favorite plinker handgun.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've only focused on military/LEO firearms and didn't delve into the hunting or plinking arena. But yes, of the .22's out there the Ruger is one of the most influential pistols.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I couldn't agree more. I thought about suggesting the CZ 75 but it wasn't so much about innovation (although the slide riding inside the lower really makes this gun) as it was about a near perfect package for all that had come before.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I considered the CZ75 but really, it is a marriage between the Hi-Power and Walter P38 in terms of features. The P38 inspired the CZ75 as did the Hi-Power... which was kind of my point, to get to the root pistols that inspired other pistols of the era.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I would say another Browning design, the Colt Woodsman was more influential to modern .22 pistols than the Rugers were. They basically copied off of it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think another argument could be the S&W M-39 vs. the Luger

One was the Luger first to offer DA/SA...whereas the Smith was the first DA/SA / dual column / "wonder 9"

Probably a slight nod to the German for being first on the DA/SA scene - which just about everyone else has borrowed from since then.

-J-

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The model 39 (of 1954) was a single stack double action auto nearly identical to the P38 with the exception of the method of lock-up. The M39 used the Browning method. The model 39 was evolved into the model 59 in the 1960's for the U.S. Navy's Hush Puppy project - a suppressed pistol. The only difference between the 59 and the earlier single stacked 39 was the double stacked magazine.

It's my contention that the P38 influenced the development of the S&W M39. It copied most of it's features.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I would add the Smith and wesson model 10/ Military and Police K frame revolver. The sheer number of them in LEO holsters in the 20th century is staggering. The victory models, the model 13's, 19's, 64's, 66's, 12's, 65's, the K 22 Masterpiece etc... are all children of this weapon so I would (IMHO) include the model 10. A true classic and influential design.

Technically the weapon came out in 1899 and the fact that there is a Model 65 4 inch with stag grips within arms reach as my "shop gun" tells me that they are as valuable today as they were over 100 years ago. I can't help it. I am a wheelgun guy.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Yup, the gun was designed in 1899... and despite the popularity it really didn't influence future pistol designs enough to prevent the wheel gun from dying out and being replaced by the pistol in the 20th century.

Police continued to use the revolver despite any real advancements in the mechanical design well into the 1980's. The advent of the .357 Mag in 1934 impressed many police who back then valued power over capacity... that was until police across the nation started to face modern auto pistols on the streets in large numbers. This didn't happen until the 1980's... and that's when police started feeling out gunned and traded their revolvers for auto pistols.

Major advancements in revolver technology ended in the 1800's and by the 20th century the focus was on automatic pistols. Revolvers were on their way out...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Revolvers were on their way out...

It's my understanding that the J frame Smith is the most popular carry gun in the US and my distributer has been unable to get me either a 442 or a 642 in two months. For being on "on their way out" they seem too fill alot of holsters. I still consider them very viable and influential but as I stated. This is offered IMHO based on what people seem to want and like that come into my shop. :twocents:

Most of the LEO I know still carry J's as their BUG despite the popularity and lightweight semiauto offerings out there. The Ruger LCR, the Smith N frame made for Swat teams( with the rail), The Governer, The Night Guard, The Judge, etc...all show me that the design is still being influential.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I don't think revolvers are obsolete and I never said they don't fill a lot of holsters. But the era of the revolver was the 1800, not the 1900's IMHO. That's when all the major advancements in the revolver were made - in the 1800's. Double action - 1800's. Swing out cylinger - 1800.

The 1900's were the century of the auto, it's when it came into its own.

If I were to include a single revolver, which would it be? Which one of the revolvers made post 1900 was so revolutionary that every other revolver made after it copied it's features. Don't pick a revolver like the Model 10 that was designed in 1899, it has to be something designed post 1900 that truly changed the face of revolver technology.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's also worth noting that Glock introduced a whole new way of marketing pistols to US law enforcement that made a huge impact on the US LE and commercial markets.

Btw, I agree with your selections and reasoning.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't think revolvers are obsolete and I never said they don't fill a lot of holsters.

No sir, You just said "they were on there way out." To me they seem as popular as ever and by mentioning all of the popular models that branched from the original design shows me they were influential throughout the 20th century as well. With the popularity of the 45 LC/410 revolvers (which came about in the last 10 years) shows me that they (revolvers in general) are still evolving well into the 21st century. Only my 2 cents and I am a bit of a nerd and a Smith and Wesson junkie so forgive me for defending such an archaic tool. I still consider Clovis points cutting edge so I may not be right...But that is my opinion and I am standing by it.

Remember that Tom Horn's jail break was thwarted by his inability to figure out how to make a Luger fire. Rep coming your way for your ability to debate without sounding like a mule. :yesway:

Top Bottom