• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Yep, said so right on my computer screen.
    I was supposed to pay a $200 fine to get my computer back.
    (and damned if I wasn't using my work computer).
    And NO! I wasn't looking at "bad" stuff when I got this virus.
    Honestly, I was googling info about the Twilight Zone episode that starred Robert Redford. ( We were watching netflicks tonight).

Man. I busted my tail on my home laptop and finally got it fixed. (couple of hours wasted). It took suggestions from two different sites. Seems I had a newer variant or something .. I don't know.
    I had to edit the registry to not use Explorer at start up, download MalwareBytes and run it. Man I love that program.

I can't believe my work has less effective antivirus than my home laptop. It's ridiculous.

Whew. My butt was going to be in a sling because this would have been the 3rd time something went wrong with my computer (one wasn't my fault at all).

Anyway.

REJOICE WITH ME:rockwoot:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Had the same thing happen at work the other day. I was doing ordering and I went from one suppliers site to the other and that message popped up.

I shut off the computer and restarted in safe mode then did a system restore and ran Avast at start up and it got rid of it.

Its a freaky virus bc from what I read about it, it attacks antivirus software and is also a key reader.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Had the same thing happen at work the other day. I was doing ordering and I went from one suppliers site to the other and that message popped up.

I shut off the computer and restarted in safe mode then did a system restore and ran Avast at start up and it got rid of it.

Its a freaky virus bc from what I read about it, it attacks antivirus software and is also a key reader.

Interesting.
    I tried to do a system restore but the IT geniuses have that turned off on my machine. But for some reason, they've allowed me to get to safe mode, edit the registry and even install software.

It's crazy that these things are coming from innocuous sites.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Dad told me he had this same thing happen to him a few weeks ago. Said it was actually pretty official looking although he knew it was bogus.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    What are these things of which you speak? Viruses? In a computer? How droll. Must be a Microsoft API.

*smug smugness of a Linux user*

Smug? We are not smug, just confident in our security.

Now that Valve is looking at Linux for games, I think M$ will start to see a larger drop off in new version support. :)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I fixed a computer w/ this. They had misspelled words on the warning page. Malwarebytes cleaned it once you got access to the computer through the registry. Man Mackey, you don't have much luck with computers! You must click on anything that says "Free Guns".

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I fixed a computer w/ this. They had misspelled words on the warning page. Malwarebytes cleaned it once you got access to the computer through the registry. Man Mackey, you don't have much luck with computers! You must click on anything that says "Free Guns".

Damnit man, you made me click on that link. Very funny

bsod-full.png

Yes, I have been having some bad luck lately. But things are going to change around here.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Avast wouldn't find mine. Had to use Malwarebytes to get it out.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Keep MWB updated, it can be a pita to get it updated if you find something nasty on your pc.

May also try superantispyware between the 2 of them you should be good in the future.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I made the mistake of taking a few days off work this spring. when I came back I fired up my machine to see this screen.

dsktop.jpg

Well it was the work of our wise $^# de facto IT guy (Whom some of you might know as [STRIKE]RobbyMaQ[/STRIKE] well... let's just say someone you might know)

Pretty funny stuff. :D

Moral of the story... NEVER take any time off work unless you want to pay the price when you get back.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    What are these things of which you speak? Viruses? In a computer? How droll. Must be a Microsoft API.

*smug smugness of a Linux user*

I like Linux well enough but I honestly do enjoy strolling through the Internet with the firewall, anti-virus, malwarebytes, and a few others turned off so I can test my last minute recovery skills. Usually this happens right before a big project or a paper I've worked on all semester is due. Sometimes you've just got to live a bit on the wild side.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You should upgrade to Windows 7. It runs everything with standard user rights unless you run something as administrator, so getting viruses like the "fake antivirus" (the most common of all, which apparently cannot be detected by real antivirus most of the time) is much less likely. Windows 8 will probably be better even.

This particular virus has basically made XP obsolete. I had about one XP user per week getting this virus just from regular surfing at work, and that was with top notch security, including recommended MS registry hacks and NTFS rights that are meant to prevent it. The bottom line is that a new variation comes out daily, and there is no stopping it. My advice for XP users that cannot upgrade to win7 is to NEVER use IE, since I haven't seen it come through Firefox or Chrome successfully yet, although I'm sure it is still possible.

Information online is sketchy about this virus, because it is a black eye to MS and every antivirus company. It is also bad for Google if the truth gets out, because they haven't been able to stop virus writers from elevating infected (fake) links to the first page of their search results, so I think they are all trying to cover it up on some levels. you see, this virus has been wreaking havoc for about FIVE YEARS, and it continues to stay ahead of them all, which doesn't seem right, does it? I don't think so.

Top Bottom