• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Girls basketball coach suspended after his team wins 161-2 - News - TODAY.com

What does the INGO ethics board think of this? I don't like mercy rules, but at some point a game like this has to end early, or never start at all. It's not fair to winning team to hold them back, and seems mean to spank the other team and play hard enough to foul them 6 times in the process.

once you are up 60-0 in first half, what does INGO think should happen?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Girls basketball coach suspended after his team wins 161-2 - News - TODAY.com

What does the INGO ethics board think of this? I don't like mercy rules, but at some point a game like this has to end early, or never start at all. It's not fair to winning team to hold them back, and seems mean to spank the other team and play hard enough to foul them 6 times in the process.

once you are up 60-0 in first half, what does INGO think should happen?

Put the bench in the game and keep some dignity.
    I was a coach when my kids went to school. My sons Soccer team was very strong in our division. We could easily be up 4 to 6 goals early. That is a butt load in soccer. I would move the kids around to experience other positions and gain knowledge of the game. There is a bit of humility been taught as well.
    I did this once and we got beat by 12 goal. That was a learning day for all involved as well. Telling my kids it was my fault taught me some humility as well.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My only issue is with the full court press the entire first half. He had to know how bad this team was before the opening tip. I don't think it's fair to the starters to miss almost a whole game simply because of how bad the other team is, but you don't have to push the issue as he did. Also, I would much rather lose 161-2 than to have the opponent treat me with kid gloves and intentionally let me score or turn the ball over to me to make me feel better about myself.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know what to think about what happened, but how does it ever come to that? I mean how can two teams be so mismatched? Apparently they don't have class basketball in CA? Short of purposely missing shots, what else could the winning coach have done? He was playing his bench in the second half. I don't know that "throwing" a game is any more sportsmanlike than winning big. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My only issue is with the full court press the entire first half. He had to know how bad this team was before the opening tip. I don't think it's fair to the starters to miss almost a whole game simply because of how bad the other team is, but you don't have to push the issue as he did. Also, I would much rather lose 161-2 than to have the opponent treat me with kid gloves and intentionally let me score or turn the ball over to me to make me feel better about myself.

Not saying that but level the playing field up a bit. That kind of game is painful to watch and more-so to play.
    We can look at this one from many angles. Perception is the key.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like both schools need to re-think how they do their scheduling.

Down in my gut, something seems wrong about this, but maybe that's just because I'm a Dad and would hate to see my kids take that kind of beating.

However, having accepted that this match up debacle took place, what are they supposed to do? There is no "mercy" rule, so stopping the game by rule is not an option. Does the losing coach forfeit at halftime? I can't fault him for not doing that. Life is hard and sometimes you lose. There's wisdom to be gained by taking a beating, at times. Does the winning coach tell his players to not do their best? I'd hate to see anyone do that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know what to think about what happened, but how does it ever come to that? I mean how can two teams be so mismatched? Apparently they don't have class basketball in CA? Short of purposely missing shots, what else could the winning coach have done? He was playing his bench in the second half. I don't know that "throwing" a game is any more sportsmanlike than winning big. :dunno:

DD....if you are up 60 in the 1st half you are not throwing anything no more than pulling starters when the score runs up in the pro's.
    It sounds like the loosing group was not well coached and had very little talent. My son played on a CYO football team like that in the 8th grade. Painful to watch.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Not saying that but level the playing field up a bit. That kind of game is painful to watch and more-so to play.
    We can look at this one from many angles. Perception is the key.

True, but it sounds like he took his starters out for the 2nd half and still outscored them 54-1. I guess I just don't know what else the coach could have done AFTER the first half.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True, but it sounds like he took his starters out for the 2nd half and still outscored them 54-1. I guess I just don't know what else the coach could have done AFTER the first half.

True......
    Like I said. Move positions around. That would have been a great opportunity to have a live scrimmage game and see what your kids were capable of across the board. JMHO

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We played a team that was that bad when I was in high school. It was their first season ever, and they had no clue what they were doing. By the end of the first quarter, it was obvious we were going to kick their ass (something like 40-0), so we turned the score board off, mixed the two teams together, and played a pick up game.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD....if you are up 60 in the 1st half you are not throwing anything no more than pulling starters when the score runs up in the pro's.
    It sounds like the loosing group was not well coached and had very little talent. My son played on a CYO football team like that in the 8th grade. Painful to watch.

Well he did pull his starters. That's what I meant... what else could he have done besides telling his players to either not take shots, or purposely miss shots? Maybe it was too late by the second half (obviously it was too late), but I don't know that he should have been suspended. Maybe he should have been assigned to help the other team out or something? Maybe give the other coach or players some pointers?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I saw a couple of articles on this.

The "winning" coach talked with the other coach pre-game, and let him know. He was using this game to prep for conference games that were coming up. He ran his bench the entire second half. Told the kids to hold/pass until 7 seconds or less on the shot clock. Asked the refs to run the clock in the second half (they did beginning in the 4th quarter). He didn't expect his girls to shoot nearly as well as they did.

The losing team has a habit of losing badly. 2 points the entire game? Did they even hit free-throws?

My $0.02:
    If you are going to play, play as a team and play to win.
    If you are getting beat, suck it up, and play your best to the end.

I played, coached, and ref'ed soccer in my younger years. I've been on both sides of a blow-out. For the winners, it is an opportunity to try new things, play the deep bench hard, and maybe even tone it down a bit. For the loser, it is a learning opportunity (what is the other team doing so much better?), also a chance to play the bench, and a shot of humility. If you don't want to get beat so badly, then buck up at practice. And maybe, just maybe, this is the wrong sport for you.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We played a team that was that bad when I was in high school. It was their first season ever, and they had no clue what they were doing. By the end of the first quarter, it was obvious we were going to kick their ass (something like 40-0), so we turned the score board off, mixed the two teams together, and played a pick up game.

That is a perfect solution. Helps the other team get better by being part of a better team, no embarrassment, etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw a couple of articles on this.

The "winning" coach talked with the other coach pre-game, and let him know. He was using this game to prep for conference games that were coming up. He ran his bench the entire second half. Told the kids to hold/pass until 7 seconds or less on the shot clock. Asked the refs to run the clock in the second half (they did beginning in the 4th quarter). He didn't expect his girls to shoot nearly as well as they did.

The losing team has a habit of losing badly. 2 points the entire game? Did they even hit free-throws?

My $0.02:
    If you are going to play, play as a team and play to win.
    If you are getting beat, suck it up, and play your best to the end.

I played, coached, and ref'ed soccer in my younger years. I've been on both sides of a blow-out. For the winners, it is an opportunity to try new things, play the deep bench hard, and maybe even tone it down a bit. For the loser, it is a learning opportunity (what is the other team doing so much better?), also a chance to play the bench, and a shot of humility. If you don't want to get beat so badly, then buck up at practice. And maybe, just maybe, this is the wrong sport for you.

That's the conclusion I came to when I tried wrestling in middle school. I just happened to be in the same weight class as the guy that eventually went on to win the state championship for our school in that weight class all 4 years in high school. I got tired of counting the lights on the gym ceiling. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Thoughtful. I like it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That would have been fun to watch....seriously. Learning all around.

Top Bottom