The Education Scam or How to go into debt and still flip burgers ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The Student Loans Scheme: a Gateway Drug to Debt Slavery

student-loan-scheme.jpg

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the part where public schools are now withholding critical education which should be taught by age 13 so that colleges can charge thousands for it after age 18. Isn't it fun when government monopolies collude to rape us?!

Edit: Fixed per Boiled Owl's question.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One of my kids got his BA in business while in the USMC for 8 years. I bought the books, the Marines paid for the rest. No student loans. He's out now and the USMC is currently paying for his MBA classes as one of his benefits for serving. Take advantage of it.

Another kid got an 80% paid for ride because of his community service while in High School and because he earned the rank of Eagle in scouting. His Eagle project is what really helped him get the scholarship. Minimal student loans (like less than $5K owed when he was done. He also worked while he went.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just made sure that my career would allow me to pay off my loans.

In 2002 engineers were starting at $50k. Even in a down market, people with actual skills who are hard to replace are still in demand.

My sister got a degree in animal something, starting salary $0. You get the privelege to cleaning animal **** for free for the opportunity of one day making about $30k a year cleaning animal ****.

Who am I to stand in the way of her dream though?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I paid cash for college. Took a little longer (6 years), but I graduated with no debt.

My sister took out loans. She's STILL paying. Oops..... Hey, at least she got to go to a fancy school and join a sorority. Me: IUPUI, with a couple of part-time jobs evenings and weekends.

There are TONS of scams (or at least shady business practices) out there for college loans. Most kids and their parents are so eager to go to a fancy school, they don't run the numbers. Top it off with ridiculous tuition at some of these schools, and here we are!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I managed to receive the Lilly Endowment so I didn't have to pay, but my wife and I started two 529 plans in Utah and are saving a little each week to pay for school for our kids (that aren't born or even conceived yet...still practicing). The benefits of a 529 plan are great. It's worth starting one even if you don't have kids yet or are unsure if you will. They can always be transferred. Check the rules in the state you choose. When we started Utah's plan was the best. Then at the kid's birthday parties instead of everyone buying them junk they don't need, they can paypal money into the kid's 529 plan for college. You can even set it up so when family members buy groceries, or items from different stores a percent goes into the 529 plan. Amazon is a member, Target, and many others. It's a damn slick system. I heard Indiana revamped their 529 so it may be better.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I just made sure that my career would allow me to pay off my loans.

In 2002 engineers were starting at $50k. Even in a down market, people with actual skills who are hard to replace are still in demand.

My sister got a degree in animal something, starting salary $0. You get the privelege to cleaning animal **** for free for the opportunity of one day making about $30k a year cleaning animal ****.

Who am I to stand in the way of her dream though?

This ^^ If you're going to get a degree, get one in a "Skill". Like teaching, Engineering, medical, dental, accounting (CPA bound), Legal, etc... Don't go to college just because... have a purpose. If you don't have a purpose, maybe the military can help give you a purpose, and will help you pay for your choice after your purpose is made clear!:yesway:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If your dream in life is to become a social worker, or government employee, don't waste your time in college unless someone else is paying for it. OJT is all you need.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    This ^^ If you're going to get a degree, get one in a "Skill". Like teaching, Engineering, medical, dental, accounting (CPA bound), Legal, etc... Don't go to college just because... have a purpose. If you don't have a purpose, maybe the military can help give you a purpose, and will help you pay for your choice after your purpose is made clear!:yesway:

This.

And don't believe a damned thing University people tell you about the value of this degree or that. They will LIE. For example, law schools will hire unemployed grads on for barely minimum wage temporary "fellowships" just so they can say that "99% of our grads are employed right after graduation!" They will only survey grads that got high paying jobs so they can LIE and tell you "Our grads averaged 100k/year as starting salaries!!"

I'm sure the various undergrad programs do the same to some extent or another.

Don't buy their BS. College/University Admins make Bernie Madoff look like a freakin' saint.

They do this to paint a false picture of how much the degree they're selling is worth, so that students will be willing to take on that debt thinking that their chosen profession will allow them to pay it off. Because that federally subsidized loan money bubble/ gravy train they're riding on depends on it.

If they were honest and said "hey, this gender studies/film/sociology degree is useless and won't help you get a better job, and it's going to cost you 20+K, plus interest" Nobody would take it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I managed to receive the Lilly Endowment so I didn't have to pay, but my wife and I started two 529 plans in Utah and are saving a little each week to pay for school for our kids (that aren't born or even conceived yet...still practicing). The benefits of a 529 plan are great. It's worth starting one even if you don't have kids yet or are unsure if you will. They can always be transferred. Check the rules in the state you choose. When we started Utah's plan was the best. Then at the kid's birthday parties instead of everyone buying them junk they don't need, they can paypal money into the kid's 529 plan for college. You can even set it up so when family members buy groceries, or items from different stores a percent goes into the 529 plan. Amazon is a member, Target, and many others. It's a damn slick system. I heard Indiana revamped their 529 so it may be better.

Indiana will match your 529 contribution to a certain extent through a tax credit. I think it's a $1,000 credit for a $5,000 contribution.

Top Bottom