• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    As I was sitting here surfing INGO, my girlfriend's dog was laying on the floor next to me. Suddenly, something fell in the other room. Both our heads turned and stared out the door for a few seconds. Then, we both turned and looked at each other at the same time, and then both got up at the same time. He then casually led the way to go see what the noise was. If he wasn't old, chubby, and a little weiner dog he might make a good watch dog. But, it was like he knew I was thinking that we better go check out the noise. Anybody else's dog ever seem to know exactly what they are thinking without saying a word?

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Yes...hiking at Eagle Creek a few years ago when we came around a small ridge (like there are large ridges anywhere in the state) and there were 2 coyotes chasing each other coming right at us. I turned to run like hell and my shepherd already had the jump on me by about 50 feet. I guess he already knew that he didn't have to outrun the coyotes, he had to outrun me.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I know exactly what you mean!

My dog is extremely attached to me, if he hears a noise, it's almost like he looks at me for a quick second almost like an approval and then boom he's gone to check it out. Hell half the time I don't hear/see what he's hearing or seeing!

Mans best friend :rockwoot:
    photo1.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My GSD is young and has satellite dishes for ears, so he usually alerts me...But yes, he's looked at me in the eyes before like, "uh, what are we waiting on? Lets go check that **** out!"

Since any time I'm around him (at home, walking him or just playing outside) I'm armed, so I've trained him to let me go first...If someone broke into our house while I'm home, my bite is going to be bigger than his, so there's no need for him to do anything but alert me something is wrong.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yes...hiking at Eagle Creek a few years ago when we came around a small ridge (like there are large ridges anywhere in the state) and there were 2 coyotes chasing each other coming right at us. I turned to run like hell and my shepherd already had the jump on me by about 50 feet. I guess he already knew that he didn't have to outrun the coyotes, he had to outrun me.

:rofl:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Dogs are amazing animals. Very keen senses. I've a friend who lives in Montana and never goes hiking in the woods without his two bear dogs... or his shotgun.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If my dog is sleeping and hears a noise he lifts his head as if to say you go look im napping, if you yell i'll come running I promise.
    Most the time tho he's out front leading the way. He's about 8 yrs old short and fat but boy can he be mean

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My dog was shot and killed a few years ago in my yard while I was in town working.
    He was like that. He always knew if something wasn't right. Mean B.A. big old ugly mutt. Best dog I've ever been around

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I think I would about die if anything ever happened to my lil buddy. Can't believe I didnt even want him when the wife got him from her sister

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I didn't want mine either. He just showed up one day and wouldn't leave.
    He'd follow me around and just became part of the family. Ugly old dog. I cried for a couple of days over that damned mutt.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Burglary attempt. I also had electronic security that scared off the bottom feeder. They got nothing and I lost my dog.

I am truly sorry to hear that. I ****ing hate scumbag thieves.:xmad:

I didn't want mine either. He just showed up one day and wouldn't leave.
    He'd follow me around and just became part of the family. Ugly old dog. I cried for a couple of days over that damned mutt.

No shame in that, buddy. I still get teary-eyed when I think about my best buddy that passed 2 years ago.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't have a dog, but I have a Siamese cat who thinks he is, does that count??? He growls when the door bell rings and runs to the door. He checks out every noise, and is glued to me when I'm home. He has separation anxiety I think! :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Since any time I'm around him (at home, walking him or just playing outside) I'm armed, so I've trained him to let me go first...If someone broke into our house while I'm home, my bite is going to be bigger than his, so there's no need for him to do anything but alert me something is wrong.
    Mine are taught the other way.
    I am armed, they go and flush 'em out for me to shoot... :popcorn:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't have a dog, but I have a Siamese cat who thinks he is, does that count??? He growls when the door bell rings and runs to the door. He checks out every noise, and is glued to me when I'm home. He has separation anxiety I think! :)
    I can vouch for that. And he has a weird best friend (for a cat)...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I LOVE my lil puppy. On the weekends, you'll usually find him in the Jeep with me.

He's always the first one to investigate a noise.

ba6f517e.jpg

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Katie--aka "Dad's little girl" isn't the best guard dog in the world, but she makes for an awesome alarm. Someone steps foot in our yard and somehow she knows it and is coming to tell me.

katie.jpg

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Most dogs will alert and look to there human for instruction. I have taught my girls to wait for a signal when they hear something. I can either "let'em rip" or have them "with me". I'm even getting the little one better at keeping quiet on the with me.

Dogs read our body language so well, it is no wonder it feels like they are reading our minds.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Ours are great, if we have a noise here at the house and Bill is home, they bark and go grab him. Literally, our bigger one has the "mouthing" trait of his breed, so he takes Bill by the arm and pulls him in the direction of the noise. Bill also carries, even while at home.

If I'm here by myself, they go on the alert, come over to me, bark, then go to where the noise originated from, while looking over their shoulders waiting for me to grab Betsy before I follow them.

Were we to ever have a break in, and the perp were to shoot and (God Forbid!) kill one of our babies, that'd be reason enough for me to go "hunting"! At least if the perp was still on our property!

My bark is bad, my bite is worse.....but my BANG is a killer! That's our mushpot Benjamin Twinkletoes McWrinkles in my Avatar, that's his "I'm KING of this Castle, and I'm protecting Mom" pose. They both dive in, one hits the top half, the other goes for the lower half, and our rat terrier bites whatever he can get his teeth on. We refer to him as our little "nut muncher". With good reason!

They're also the reason we have a "back up plan" for if I go down and no one else is here. My cell phone is always on or very near me (usually in my pocket) I call our daughter first (she's the closest), her father next (when he's at work) and she comes hauling a** over here to assess the situation. If necessary, the boys get put in the bedroom while the Ambulance crew is here, so that they can get near enough to me to be able to treat me. Otherwise there's no way they'd let anyone in, esp if I was down on the floor and unable to get up and lock them up myself. It has it's pro's and con's, but it works for us. I'd rather be stuck on the floor for several hours waiting for help than risk our babies getting shot.

That may sound crazy to some people, but perfectly normal to others, it just depends on how you feel about your family (which ours are an important part of), and what you're willing to sacrifice in order to keep them safe. They protect me while I'm down, by lying next to me to keep me warm, licking me if I'm bleeding (no, that's not a YUCH, it's a way to start the healing process, but a long explanation that some may or may not believe), and comfort me if I'm afraid. I've felt safer here at times, more so than I have in the ER. THEY know what makes me tick, and seem to sense how and what I'm feeling, and know just how to react to make me feel better. They also fetch me what ever I need, from a bottle of water to my cell phone. And unless I'm completely unconscious, either my daughter or Bill can get here in a heartbeat.

Burglars don't stand a chance of breaking in without my knowledge, even just a thump on the house from the outside is enough to alert them into full protection mode.

So my answer is YES, our dogs do know what's going on, what we're thinking, and react in kind to what we're doing. Ours do it partly naturally, and partly because of training. But it works, which is what counts.

7th Stepper

Top Bottom