The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    ahhh, yes ... the stupid tax ... I've fallen prey to this myself on more than one occasion on GB ... "boredom bidding" and adult beverages can be an expensive combination.

It took a while, but I've developed a spreadsheet to calculate my maximum bid given the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for an item. It includes everything, shipping, transfer fee, CC fees, sales tax, GB compliance fee ... no more thinking ... my max bid is my max bid, unless I really, really want something ... then it's back to paying the stupid tax.

Yea I just lost focus put in a minimum bid early and then realized it wasn’t the number I intended.

Usually, I just bid until [mention]KJQ6945 [/mention] says “Are you insane?”.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ve shot a friends but never with just the circle.
    I hope this is helpful its the best I could think of for a visual aid.

20240607_085935.jpg
    Forgive my drawing skills. I tried to find lids that was basically the same size at the different ranges. The 25yds 8" I did not have so I did my best.

Inside 15yards you can hit the torso very easily and quickly with the 32moa circle.

That small head circle is actually 3yds not 5yds.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I can’t help answer your question but I have one…
    When you’re just using the 32moa circle, say at 10 yards or whatever, what is your accuracy like? And does trying to shoot fast change that accuracy, more than using a fine point of aim?

I’ve shot a friends but never with just the circle.
    I don't understand the concept of multiple circles. Start with the dot, stick with the dot. Advancing threat from 40 yds isn't gonna give you time to swap circles as he attacks you. More accuracy is almost always better.

And for the love of Mike, don't trust your life to something with batteries w/o cowitness to irons.:twocents::runaway:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't understand the concept of multiple circles. Start with the dot, stick with the dot. Advancing threat from 40 yds isn't gonna give you time to swap circles as he attacks you. More accuracy is almost always better.

And for the love of Mike, don't trust your life to something with batteries w/o cowitness to irons.:twocents::runaway:
    Well for people like me with bad astigmatism the circle dot helps it tremendously. A dot by itself looks like a Starburst and much larger than the actual size.

It's also very easy to transition to the dot if needed.

Red dot

1717766564431.png

What a red dot looks like with bad astigmatism

1717766522378.png

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well for people like me with bad astigmatism the circle dot helps it tremendously. A dot by itself looks like a Starburst and much larger than the actual size.

It's also very easy to transition to the dot if needed.

Red dot

View attachment 357490

What a red dot looks like with bad astigmatism

View attachment 357489

Using the oversized circle is very similar to those who use oversized front sights when using iron sights. It's a similar concept. They are very quick and easy to pick up, compared to a tiny front post or tiny dot. Great for close range, which is statistically where most shootings occur, admittedly not great for distance, unless you train with it at distance.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Using the oversized circle is very similar to those who use oversized front sights when using iron sights. It's a similar concept. They are very quick and easy to pick up, compared to a tiny front post or tiny dot. Great for close range, which is statistically where most shootings occur, admittedly not great for distance, unless you train with it at distance.
    That's why I switch over to dot for accurate shots which is outside 10yds.
    Under 10yds no need to.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I'm using the combination. I do think the circle helps with speed and getting on target faster especially with bringing the gun up for the first shot. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly.

I'm not sure why someone would use just the circle setting without the dot. I CAN see why someone would just use the dot setting in the MRS.

If I have an optic with MRS, I'm using the circle and the dot together. The idea is to be target focused (which can be a struggle) vs dot focused anyway, so I am trying to watch for the circle edge to impose itself onto the edge of the target, etc, but all of that is happening pretty fast.

There is a ACSS Vulcan reticle that really takes the outer ring thing to a new level of guiding one onto the target. I believe @mcapo has one of those (?)

Weather, family event, and back problems has made it difficult for me to get back to FNS, but I really need to. Also need to get some more range time on my own with my timer to continue to work on these aspects myself.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm using the combination. I do think the circle helps with speed and getting on target faster especially with bringing the gun up for the first shot. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly.

I'm not sure why someone would use just the circle setting without the dot. I CAN see why someone would just use the dot setting in the MRS.

If I have an optic with MRS, I'm using the circle and the dot together. The idea is to be target focused (which can be a struggle) vs dot focused anyway, so I am trying to watch for the circle edge to impose itself onto the edge of the target, etc, but all of that is happening pretty fast.

I also use the circle dot combo, on all weapons I carry. I think Dad uses just the circle because the dot is problematic for his astigmatism.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

There is a ACSS Vulcan reticle that really takes the outer ring thing to a new level of guiding one onto the target. I believe @mcapo has one of those (?)

Weather, family event, and back problems has made it difficult for me to get back to FNS, but I really need to. Also need to get some more range time on my own with my timer to continue to work on these aspects myself.
    I actually focus on the target but I see the circle faster, and get on target faster, and put rds down range faster.
    That's probably why I'm not trying to find the dot because it's much smaller and at self-defense ranges (3-10yds) it's not needed.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

I have several. The chevron - for some reason - really minimizes the astigmatism bloom and helps to make an accurate shot. The outer ring is helpful if your training/presentation isn't sufficient to center the dot - otherwise the outer circle is outside the field of field.

IMO, it is not a very fast optic though. Hard to beat just a dot for speed and if you need the outer ring to find the dot - ain't nothing happening fast....

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I actually focus on the target but I see the circle faster, and get on target faster, and put rds down range faster.
    That's probably why I'm not trying to find the dot because it's much smaller and at self-defense ranges (3-10yds) it's not needed.
    But you are using the MRS set to both circle and dot? Or just have the circle option turned on? Making sure I understand.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have several. The chevron - for some reason - really minimizes the astigmatism bloom and helps to make an accurate shot. The outer ring is helpful if your training/presentation isn't sufficient to center the dot - otherwise the outer circle is outside the field of field.

IMO, it is not a very fast optic though. Hard to beat just a dot for speed and if you need the outer ring to find the dot - ain't nothing happening fast....
    Yeah, it was an interesting reticle when I looked through one on just an optic by itself (not mounted), but they all are a bit interesting to center without a gun.

I don't think I'd buy one without having tried one for sure.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    We just got in a used CZ 75 D at BPS, I want it so bad, but just have no way to purchase it, anyone interested I'll be there today 1 til closing, and Sunday til closing. Obviously you can buy it without me being there, but I'd love to be there and say goodbye.....lol Oh, and it's $549, I'm just $547 short....

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Yeah, it was an interesting reticle when I looked through one on just an optic by itself (not mounted), but they all are a bit interesting to center without a gun.

I don't think I'd buy one without having tried one for sure.
    My eyes focus very slowly and struggle to focus on a distant object when other things are in the foreground. Not a good combination for shooting.

I have been to two eye doctors - neither presented a solution short of replacement lenses and I am not willing to do that.

...but that chevron reticle is still the bees knees.

Bees? Get it? This is a "Are you following the thread closely test? lol

Top Bottom