• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm seriously Thinking about re-entering the AR-15 fun again after a few years away. Anyhow, Does anyone have any hands on experience with the new AR's being made in Bremen, IN. SQS15 Rifle: Domestic Defense Model ? BCI Defense BCI Defense I thought, what a great opportunity to not only get a new rifle, but to get one made in my hometown yet-to-boot. I did have an opportunity to handle one over at Midwest Gun Exchange and I do admit it felt really good in hand. I just sold my M&P 9C so I have an extra $700 to invest in a new AR. Thanks for any input.

Hoosierdood, Have you had any feedback from new owners?

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I don't see a price for the rifle or lowers but the price on their upper I doubt you're going to get the rifle for under $700. Seems a bit over priced for what they are offering.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I don't see a price for the rifle or lowers but the price on their upper I doubt you're going to get the rifle for under $700. Seems a bit over priced for what they are offering.

- Black Nitride barrel (better durability, lubricity, longevity)
    - 1:7 twist (effectively stabilize heavier rounds)
    - Winter trigger guard (oversized = shoot with gloves on)
    - Magpul MBUS rear flip up sight
    - Geissele tuned QMS trigger (no creep, crisp, better than standard trigger)
    - QD sling mount on stock
    - Lifetime warranty
    - Priced at $699.00 at Midwest Gun Exchange

Now tell me again where you can get that same quality in an AR platform in that same price range.

BTW, I have the BCI complete lower and threw a S&W upper on it. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the BCI product so far. Haven't heard any negative feedback yet on them.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    - Lifetime warranty

Now tell me again where you can get that same quality in an AR platform in that same price range.

BTW, I have the BCI complete lower and threw a S&W upper on it. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the BCI product so far. Haven't heard any negative feedback yet on them.

That is a deal!! Might have to buy one of those.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    - Lifetime warranty

Colt AR-15A4 Lightweight LE Carbine, 5.56 NATO, 16" Pencil Barrel AR6720
    Way better deal for only $100 more. No specs for BCI's BCG. Is it HPT/MPI? What is the bolt made out of? C158, 8620, 9310? What is the barrel made out of? 4140, 4150, ???? The Colt has all those questions answered. The only thing the BCI has over the Colt is the QMS trigger. To each his own though as it essentially not my money to burn. YMMV

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    Way better deal for only $100 more. No specs for BCI's BCG. Is it HPT/MPI? What is the bolt made out of? C158, 8620, 9310? What is the barrel made out of? 4140, 4150, ???? The Colt has all those questions answered. The only thing the BCI has over the Colt is the QMS trigger. To each his own though as it essentially not my money to burn. YMMV

The BCG is made by Leitner-Wise MFG. It's black nitride coated and features:

• S7 billet steel gas key.
    • Custom made gas key screws made by Leitner-Wise Mfg. following the original Colt M-16 specifications and steel.
    • 3,600 psi hydrolic staked gas key screws.
    • Faceted carrier.
    • Nickel boron (NiB)-coated firing pin, firing pin retainer and cam pin.

The bolt itself features:

• C158 Steel
    • Shot Peened
    • Precision ground between centers
    • High Pressure Proof Fired
    • X-rayed
    • Tool Steel Extractor
    • Black Extractor Insert
    • Mil-Spec O-Ring
    • Black Nitride Plated Bolt Body

The barrel to my knowledge is made by Wilson. I'll see what I can dig up on it.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    I have one of their complete lowers and my nephew bought one of the complete rifles.
    He brought it over and we put some rounds through it.
    It's a nice shooter and I like that its made so close to home.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Wow! the short time I was at Midwest Gun Exchange today and seeing so many customers inquiring, checking them out and the BCI Defense boxes stacked at the checkout counter this appears to be a hot item. Thanks Hoosierdood for the great info and the in store hands-on. Made my decision and easy one. Let the fun begin!:rockwoot:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Its just assembled in your town, from the same parts everyone else uses.

There are not as many makers of lowers as people think. There are even fewer makers of uppers.

Good on you for wanting to give your money to a local guy - but the only real difference in AR15 brands is how many extra QC processes they use (afer the gun / parts are already made) and how well they are assembled.

Make sure your local guy is actually doing a good job. Too many good ARs out there for dirt cheap now to buy a junk one just because its local.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    - Lifetime warranty

With the price of the upper from the link in the op I expected it to run a lot more. That's not a terrible price.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Its just assembled in your town, from the same parts everyone else uses.

:whistle: common knowledge ;)

Make sure your local guy is actually doing a good job. Too many good ARs out there for dirt cheap now to buy a junk one just because its local.

Anyone familiar with the Brown's and their long history with BCI and firearms know that they would never put their name on or be associated with any product that was not top quality. I fully trust the product they are manufacturing and the finished product they are offering.:patriot:

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    :whistle: common knowledge ;)

Anyone familiar with the Brown's and their long history with BCI and firearms know that they would never put their name on or be associated with any product that was not top quality. I fully trust the product they are manufacturing and the finished product they are offering.:patriot:

I personalty know Jim Brown and can tell you he is a stand up guy. He was a customer of mine for years. I was excited to here that BC was getting in to the AR market. I wish them the best of luck!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Save yourself the $100 and get the BCI. Put the $100 towards ammo and the practice will benefit you more than the Colt roll mark ever would.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I really hope this isn't turning into BCI vs. Colt in terms of quality:ugh:

No, I have no first hand experience with BCI. That being said, a rifle built to mil-spec is built to mil-spec. If two companies use the same materials, do the same quality testing (HPT/MPI), build to mil-spec (lowest acceptable military standards), and you pay more for one than the other, you paid more for the roll mark.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom