• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .300 dadbod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2022
    Bedford
    Every American that is not incarcerated should be able to walk into a non-FFL holding hardware store and purchase a full-auto, suppressed, rifle/SMG/pistol/ shotgun of their choice, with whatever barrel length desired, with or without a stock, and no background check.

It is absolutely rediculous that the legality of bump stocks, solvent traps, pistol braces, and FRTs is even a topic for discussion.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yes, and every capable citizen should be expected to have an adequate arm and show a minimum level of marksmanship.

And those who have power over others, hate that very possibility. For if those with power do not have superiority of arms, they would dare to be a citizen and not a subject.

I am a citizen.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'd say most everybody on this site agrees with that take, with the exception of some debate over how to handle certain types of criminals. I happen to agree more with the side that says if you don't trust them with a gun, they should be locked up and not walking the streets, so there really shouldn't be any laws pertaining to felons owning guns, but there are some who disagree.

I would say mental issues is another place where people draw a line. In general, if someone has serious enough mental issues that they have to be treated as a child, and not be given the same rights/responsibilities/liberties as an ordinary adult, and basically treated as a child, I'd say it's pretty non-controversial to also agree that they shouldn't be owning guns, either.

I'm curious, though, if anyone here has any other place they would draw a line? Like say, should private ownership of nukes be banned? If Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk wanted to start their own private arsenal of nuclear missiles, is that part of their right to keep and bear arms?

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    There are three groups that I don't think should have access to firearms:

1. Violent felons
    2. Unsupervised children
    3. Those who are mentally deranged.

I'm curious, though, if anyone here has any other place they would draw a line? Like say, should private ownership of nukes be banned? If Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk wanted to start their own private arsenal of nuclear missiles, is that part of their right to keep and bear arms?

This is a good question that I don't hear discussed very often. What is the limit, if any, on the 2A?

One of many definitions for "bear" is "to move while holding up and supporting (something)"
    Does that mean the 2A only covers arms that can be carried by a person (thus eliminating nukes and artillery)?

I live rural. What if my neighbor bought a 155mm Howitzer and left it loaded and pointed at the nearest town or high school? What if there was no fence or security around it? Would that be OK?

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'd say most everybody on this site agrees with that take, with the exception of some debate over how to handle certain types of criminals. I happen to agree more with the side that says if you don't trust them with a gun, they should be locked up and not walking the streets, so there really shouldn't be any laws pertaining to felons owning guns, but there are some who disagree.

I would say mental issues is another place where people draw a line. In general, if someone has serious enough mental issues that they have to be treated as a child, and not be given the same rights/responsibilities/liberties as an ordinary adult, and basically treated as a child, I'd say it's pretty non-controversial to also agree that they shouldn't be owning guns, either.

Would make trade deals on Wall Street MUCH more interesting.

I think there should be no other lines. I agree with you if trusted to walk the streets felons should be trusted to defend themselves and not harm others. There are countries that have nukes that I trust less than bezos and musk. (With armies also) so that being said besides the clout I don’t think having a nuke in a closet is a game changer?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looks like a subject that can get some good discussion here today. How about, if you wrote a bad check for over $75 in New Mexico in 1965? Or, got busted with two joints in that same year? Why are these people prohibited from possessing firearms?

A few years back Guy (Relford) got a felony expunged for an old preacher, who had been a prohibited possessor for over 50 years. Got busted with two joints while he was in college.

We still have a lot of work to do on the 2A front.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I live rural. What if my neighbor bought a 155mm Howitzer and left it loaded and pointed at the nearest town or high school? What if there was no fence or security around it? Would that be OK?
    Canon and warships were both privately owned back then.
    Yep, like KLB said, it would appear from a historical perspective that the 2nd Amendment is, indeed, meant to apply not only to those arms that one can carry, but also to larger arms such as artillery pieces.

Now, of course, the right to keep and bear arms does not mean that one has a "right" to recklessly endanger others with those arms, so I would say that in BJHay's hypothetical scenario, what the neighbor is doing is not okay, in the same way that walking down the street brandishing a loaded gun and pointing it at random people is not okay.

.300 dadbod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2022
    Bedford

Agree 100% - if someone cannot be trusted with a gun, then why were they released in the first place?

I would also say that there is broad enough support that an amendment addressing gun ownership and possession by individuals with certain mental issues such as schizophrenia and psychosis could easily pass with overwhelming consensus.

.300 dadbod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2022
    Bedford
    No need to amend it if it's ignored.
    How can this be changed? Can the lawful structure of our government - to include the amendment process - be socialized into the bigger narrative?

Not a trick question. The facts are on our side in black and white and I'm curious what others think.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I honestly don't get it

Top Bottom