The 2017 General Salma Hayek discussion thread...Part 3!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    We'll see, won't we? I wouldn't hold your breath.

The interesting thing is, that Strozk, as one of the FBI agents interviewing Flynn, did not believe that he lied or was intentionally trying to deceive and, instead, was being cooperatove. Remember that Flynn's deposition was voluntary and there was no evidence of a crime in the transcripts of the telephone calls. None.

FBI Agent Peter Strzok & Robert Mueller Investigation | National Review

It's also worth noting, that while Commey was still in charge, there was no intention of charging Flynn with lying. 'Member this:

Flynn changed story to FBI, no charges expected - CNNPolitics

Flynn initially told investigators sanctions were not discussed. But FBI agents challenged him, asking if he was certain that was his answer. He said he didn't remember.

Which strongly implies that the first question asked was whether Flynn and the ambassador discussed the Obama sanctions. Note that in the plea agreement document, when it mentions any detail, says the Flynn said he didn't recall. In such cases, to prove lying, there will be contemporaneous accounts that he did recall, usually to someone else, but conveniently "forgot" during FBI questioning (see Martha Stewart about that one).

IMO, the Flynn charges are Mueller grasping at straws to show something, anything, to justify this investigation. It's all pretext, investigate Trump and associates to see what you find, and cause as much political damage as possible while doing so, no probable cause or even reasonable suspicion of a crime necessary to start such an investigation.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The interesting thing is, that Strozk, as one of the FBI agents interviewing Flynn, did not believe that he lied or was intentionally trying to deceive and, instead, was being cooperatove. Remember that Flynn's deposition was voluntary and there was no evidence of a crime in the transcripts of the telephone calls. None.

FBI Agent Peter Strzok & Robert Mueller Investigation | National Review

It's also worth noting, that while Commey was still in charge, there was no intention of charging Flynn with lying. 'Member this:

Flynn changed story to FBI, no charges expected - CNNPolitics

Which strongly implies that the first question asked was whether Flynn and the ambassador discussed the Obama sanctions. Note that in the plea agreement document, when it mentions any detail, says the Flynn said he didn't recall. In such cases, to prove lying, there will be contemporaneous accounts that he did recall, usually to someone else, but conveniently "forgot" during FBI questioning (see Martha Stewart about that one).

IMO, the Flynn charges are Mueller grasping at straws to show something, anything, to justify this investigation. It's all pretext, investigate Trump and associates to see what you find, and cause as much political damage as possible while doing so, no probable cause or even reasonable suspicion of a crime necessary to start such an investigation.
    That Flynn waived grand jury and signed a plea pre-charging means he got immunity or something else in return. You don't just dump every constitutional right and safeguard you have for grins.

My my guess is that the lying charge was just a handy low level felony he could easily make allocution on. What he got in return and promised them remains to be seen.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    That Flynn waived grand jury and signed a plea pre-charging means he got immunity or something else in return. You don't just dump every constitutional right and safeguard you have for grins.

My my guess is that the lying charge was just a handy low level felony he could easily make allocution on. What he got in return and promised them remains to be seen.

Read what former US Attorneys and AUSAs have written on this. If you are looking to prove a conspiracy, you charge the cooperating witness with that conspiracy, and only lessen the charges/penalties AFTER his co-conspirators have been convicted and sentenced. He gives you what you want FIRST, and his "deal" comes LAST. It keeps his "feet to the fire". There are no big charges against Flynn, no charges of even a hint of an investigated, underlying crime.

And, if Flynn is your "star witness", you've publicly denounced him as a LIAR. A jury will tend to believe you, that he's a liar, that is...

This is a whimper, not a bang.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    SCOTUS Case: Colorado cake baker

At the library yesterday, walking to the information desk, a guy "fast-walked" there, beating me. He looked like he was about to have a heart attack (or a world record dump, the look is similar).

"What is the number of Masterpiece Bakery?", he demanded. I knew what he was talking about, the librarian did not. "Excuse me, what?" "They are the bakery in Colorado that discriminates against homosexuals. They won't sell their cakes to them and I'm going to call them!"

I know a little about this, I've read about it, and started to say something, but stopped. I didn't want to destroy the joy of his little social justice vengence party. He didn't seem very rational anyhow.

For those who haven't read in depth, the baker offered to sell the couple ANY cake or baked good in the store, but REFUSED to design a custom cake to celebrate their same-sex wedding (which was going to be in Washington, btw, as at the time, Colorado neither recognized nor permitted same-sex marriage).

So, when you hear this portrayed as "refused to sell" a cake, that is FAKE NEWS. He refused to custom design a cake. Think, a muslim baker refusing to design a first communion cake, replete with crucifixes, and you're in the same ballpark.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Read what former US Attorneys and AUSAs have written on this. If you are looking to prove a conspiracy, you charge the cooperating witness with that conspiracy, and only lessen the charges/penalties AFTER his co-conspirators have been convicted and sentenced. He gives you what you want FIRST, and his "deal" comes LAST. It keeps his "feet to the fire". There are no big charges against Flynn, no charges of even a hint of an investigated, underlying crime.

And, if Flynn is your "star witness", you've publicly denounced him as a LIAR. A jury will tend to believe you, that he's a liar, that is...

This is a whimper, not a bang.

I didn't say they had a conspiracy they could prove, I said they had something hanging over Flynn he didn't want to have drop. You don't plead guilty pre-charging to a weak lying charge unless you are getting something back.

The charge Flynn pled to might not survive grand jury, much less trial. Why do you think he waived grand jury/discovery/suppression/trial/appeal rights on it without a whimper?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I didn't say they had a conspiracy they could prove, I said they had something hanging over Flynn he didn't want to have drop. You don't plead guilty pre-charging to a weak lying charge unless you are getting something back.

The charge Flynn pled to might not survive grand jury, much less trial. Why do you think he waived grand jury/discovery/suppression/trial/appeal rights on it without a whimper?

Years in court and millions in attorney's fees. I think his options were plea to this, or face a whole laundry list of very shakey charges that would nonetheless cost him his net worth, and more, in attorney's fees.

Branding Flynn a liar, IMO, means that whatever case he might help build will never see a jury. Or a court room. Mueller is pursuing political charges now, not criminal, for an impeachment recommendation. Wouldn't want anything, like trying to make a criminal case, to muddy those waters, lol!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Years in court and millions in attorney's fees. I think his options were plea to this, or face a whole laundry list of very shakey charges that would nonetheless cost him his net worth, and more, in attorney's fees.

Branding Flynn a liar, IMO, means that whatever case he might help build will never see a jury. Or a court room. Mueller is pursuing political charges now, not criminal, for an impeachment recommendation. Wouldn't want anything, like trying to make a criminal case, to muddy those waters, lol!

Have you ever considered that there are a whole lot of people with a whole lot of money who would be happy to pay for Mike Flynn's defense? I really doubt that was the shoe he feared dropping.

I also think you overestimate the effect of his conviction for a crime of dishonesty. The Feds make cases regularly off far less credible people. It will matter far more what people have put in writing, if there is a case to be had at all.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if this leverage move on Flynn doesn't pan out for them in anything larger. I can see this going on a lot like the David Wyser/Carl Brizzi fiasco.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Have you ever considered that there are a whole lot of people with a whole lot of money who would be happy to pay for Mike Flynn's defense? I really doubt that was the shoe he feared dropping.

I also think you overestimate the effect of his conviction for a crime of dishonesty. The Feds make cases regularly off far less credible people. It will matter far more what people have put in writing, if there is a case to be had at all.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if this leverage move on Flynn doesn't pan out for them in anything larger. I can see this going on a lot like the David Wyser/Carl Brizzi fiasco.

This is not a "strong" leverage at all over Flynn. From what I've read, if he just plain plead guilty, no deal necessary, the average sentence for his sole crime, with no record, is 6 months probation.

It's not like Mueller can say Flynn's lies derailed their investigation... they had transcripts and a recording, for goodness sake.

This is very weak.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    This is not a "strong" leverage at all over Flynn. From what I've read, if he just plain plead guilty, no deal necessary, the average sentence for his sole crime, with no record, is 6 months probation.

It's not like Mueller can say Flynn's lies derailed their investigation... they had transcripts and a recording, for goodness sake.

This is very weak.

I am referring to whatever they used to leverage a decorated general into a rollover felony guilty plea on a facially weak case without even an indictment...

There is something hanging there, some reason Flynn did this. What it is remains to be seen.

If they ever to file anything and want to use him as a witness, his cooperation agreement would then probably have to be disclosed including what he got in return. If not, we may never know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Clinton was guilty of sexual harassment also.

Hopefully, this current accounting of scumbags like him will give his legacy what it deserves.

Sexual harassment is not necessarily criminal.

It's understood that the goalposts get moved, according to who is harassing. In the 80's there was a huge push to all business leaders over sexual harassment. By everything I was taught, lectured, seminared, Clinton was guilty of sexual harassment. He used his position of authority to achieve sexual favors from subordinates.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Sexual harassment is not necessarily criminal.

It's understood that the goalposts get moved, according to who is harassing. In the 80's there was a huge push to all business leaders over sexual harassment. By everything I was taught, lectured, seminared, Clinton was guilty of sexual harassment. He used his position of authority to achieve sexual favors from subordinates.

It is generally a civil cause of action based on employment law. Sexual harassment can encompass criminal acts, but generally speaking it is a civil remedy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom