The 2017 General Salma Hayek discussion thread...Part 3!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [h=2]3. Indiana and Nevada stand out as states with the least amount of gerrymandering.[/h]In contrast to North Carolina's Republicans, Indiana's did a remarkably good job of drawing sensible district boundaries. The same holds true for Nevada's Democrats, although with only four districts, the district boundaries in Nevada are dictated to a large degree by the state's borders.

:woot:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    These days there just isn’t much cause to be proud of your party, Republican or Democrat. And if you ARE proud of your party... :rolleyes:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-most-gerrymandered-congressional-districts/

Republicans drew Congressional boundaries in six of the 10 most-gerrymandered states.

Wow. 6 out of 10.

This is all based upon "proportional representation", that the percentage of D/R should closely mirror the statewide percentage of votes for each, otherwise "gerrymandering" has occurred. This is fundamentally false. The distribution and concentration of Democrat voters throughout a state gives them an inherent disadvantage in any "compact and normal" drawing of congressional districts that use geographic and population boundaries in drawing the lines. If you look at "historic" maps, they were drawn starting at the centers of dense population (cities) and the corners of the state, then using as much as possible, existing political boundaries (county lines) and geographic boundaries (rivers, mountain ranges, etc). Only after those "rules" did they make other dividing lines to even up populations in the state's districts, so that it was rare that two neighbors, living across the street from each other, where in different districts.

Violating these "rules" in order to affect the outcomes, where the boundaries made no sense from a geography and party-blind population distribution sense, led to the original gerrymandering history. Odd-shaped districts that extended, or sliced into, different populations solely for political purposes of "re-distributing" votes... and they were readily apparent visually, often looking like salamanders or Rorschach blots or pie slices extending far out into the hinterlands of the city population center.

Democats in North Carolina faced this problem in the early 1990 when the redistricted to gain a better lock on more House seats. The problem was that drawing the districts, compactly, in such a way as to maximize the number of Democrat districts cancelled out some minority-majority districts. The number of "guaranteed" African American Representatives would go down. They were sued in court and lost under the Voting Rights Act. Required to add a minority district, but unwilling to yield any Republican districts in doing so, in 1992, Democrats devised the most famous MODERN gerrymandered district, North Carolina's 12th, which linked together distinct population centers, 100's of miles apart, in some places connected only by the I-85 corridor.

nccd12.gif

tl;dr: In most cases, in order for Dems to receive seats proportional to their statewide vote, gerrymandering is REQUIRED to accomplish that goal. Either "salamander" districts, or "pie slices" that group city dweller with rural populations. "Traditional" district drawing rules from pre-gerrymandering days will always put them at a disadvantage because of where their voters are concentrated.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Just for example, here in Indiana, who does the "gerrymandering"?

When Democrats had the most control (the state house and governor) after the 2000 census:

United_States_Congressional_Districts_in_Indiana,_2003_–_2013.tif.png

Versus when Republicans were in control after the 2010 census:

United_States_Congressional_Districts_in_Indiana,_since_2013.tif.png

Yeah, those damn cheating Republicans!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    3. Indiana and Nevada stand out as states with the least amount of gerrymandering.

In contrast to North Carolina's Republicans, Indiana's did a remarkably good job of drawing sensible district boundaries. The same holds true for Nevada's Democrats, although with only four districts, the district boundaries in Nevada are dictated to a large degree by the state's borders.

:woot:
    Yet Indiana is on the list of states he uses to show how bad things are.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Gerrymanders, Part 1: Busting the both-sides-do-it myth

Yes, the old misrepresentation game.

Good one!

Yes, the old "don't believe your lyin' eyes" game. Lol!

I'll admit that I might have missed one, but EVERY bizarrely shaped congressional district, Rorschach inkblot looking thing thing I've ever seen... was drawn by Democrats. Even the "tricks" that Democrats here in Indiana used in the 2003 map to "pack" Republican votes into districts (see District 4, in yellow, two posts above) to up the number of Democrat Reps.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So North Korea punks the president by launching a missile that's traveled further than any other, and Russia does another dangerous flyby of one of out planes. President complains about fake news, but tweets some concerning a Muslims, which originated from a hate group... The UK makes their displeasure known, with both the PM and Parliament weighing in. Is this what worldwide respect looks like? President of course, responds to both the North Korean and UK issues.... Russian? Ha, ha. Of course not.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yes, the old "don't believe your lyin' eyes" game. Lol!

I'll admit that I might have missed one, but EVERY bizarrely shaped congressional district, Rorschach inkblot looking thing thing I've ever seen... was drawn by Democrats. Even the "tricks" that Democrats here in Indiana used in the 2003 map to "pack" Republican votes into districts (see District 4, in yellow, two posts above) to up the number of Democrat Reps.

Please show your work.

You cannot get credit for your mid-term paper without a bibiliography.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The thing is: rich people have always had sycophants.

Trump's mistake is he believes the whole country is comprised of sycophants. There is enough "love" generated by his loyal following that he estimates that everyone must love him except for the noisy press and a few hardcore democrats.

As long as he doesn't start a war to boost his ego, I'm OK with him being what he is. No harm isn't such a bad legacy for a president and we probably would have been better off if more of the dumbasses we've had in there took that approach.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The thing is: rich people have always had sycophants.

Trump's mistake is he believes the whole country is comprised of sycophants. There is enough "love" generated by his loyal following that he estimates that everyone must love him except for the noisy press and a few hardcore democrats.

As long as he doesn't start a war to boost his ego, I'm OK with him being what he is. No harm isn't such a bad legacy for a president and we probably would have been better off if more of the dumbasses we've had in there took that approach.

OK, but I can't say that I would object to a war to keep the DPRK from making us glow in the dark.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Please show your work.

You cannot get credit for your mid-term paper without a bibiliography.

Snappy comeback, but without substance. Acteon and I have posted three congressional districts that show the gerrymandering gymnastic effort that Democrats put forward to hold onto power.

There is a strange one in Texas, which is a red state, the 33rd District... but it was gerrymandered BY THE COURTS to create a minority-majority district. Another example that extremely odd-shaped districts are required to get Democratic seats because of where they live.

lossless-page1-640px-Texas_US_Congressional_District_33_%28since_2013%29.tif.png

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    With the type of boosted fission nukes he has and the accuracy of the missiles he would get his most destruction by using them as EMP bombs along the west coast.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kim Jong-un is crazy, but I really do not think he is crazy enough to actually launch a nuke at us.

He won't. That's not the dynamic in play. Korea hasn't made claims about attacking us. The WH has already stated that it will not allow N Korea to develop a deliverable warhead to US shores. I think it's logical to assume that once they get about to the point they can, deterrence will be something other than strong language. They will certainly have the capability, if left alone, before the end of Trump's first term... so we'll see how this game of chicken pans out.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Compare the strange shaped districts with what is sooooooo horribly gerrymandered that it should be found unconstitutional... according to Democrats... currently before SCOTUS:

lossless-page1-469px-Wisconsin_Congressional_Districts%2C_113th_Congress.tif.png

Do you see them? The horribly, grotesquely drawn districts? So much worse than the ones drawn by the Democrats and the (Democrat) Court?

If you do, point them out to me... I must be blind. Lol!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom