The 2017 General Salma Hayek discussion thread...Part 3!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do we think of the upcoming House vote on the anti-sexual harassment training?

House to vote next week on anti-sexual harassment training resolution
    Blah-blah-blah and hand waving to make it look like they are doing something. It doesn't take any "training" to know that the workplace is not a meet-market bar, and that female employees, especially those subordinate to you, are not your sexual playthings.

Dana comments on this (around the 4 minute mark.)

[video=youtube;tWCHdgf8C9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWCHdgf8C9I[/video]

Men in congress shouldn't HAVE to be taught how to treat women. Zero tolerance, fire the MFers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seriously, president "honors" Navajo code talkers by calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas," while standing in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson? Absolutely amazing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    A couple informative articles on the impact of the state and local tax deduction, which the Republicans are debating either capping or eliminating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trillion-dollar-deduction-to-fund-trump-tax-plan/
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...4/the-state-and-local-tax-deduction-explained

The "cost" of this deduction is somewhere between $1.3 T and $1.8 T over the next ten years, that's $130-180 Billion a year, and the taxes saved predominately (91%) go to those making over $100k a year.

The funny thing is, if this didn't currently exist and the Republicans proposed it, they would be raked over the coals as giving "welfare" to the rich, lol!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A couple informative articles on the impact of the state and local tax deduction, which the Republicans are debating either capping or eliminating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trillion-dollar-deduction-to-fund-trump-tax-plan/
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...4/the-state-and-local-tax-deduction-explained

The "cost" of this deduction is somewhere between $1.3 T and $1.8 T over the next ten years, that's $130-180 Billion a year, and the taxes saved predominately (91%) go to those making over $100k a year.

The funny thing is, if this didn't currently exist and the Republicans proposed it, they would be raked over the coals as giving "welfare" to the rich, lol!

Is this the reference to where all the rest of the states pay for some states to raise state taxes?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Seriously, president "honors" Navajo code talkers by calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas," while standing in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson? Absolutely amazing.

More accurately put, the President cracks a joke about a person who claims Am. Indian ancestry with nothing to back it up other than family stories, while honoring Am. Indians.

Donald, really? It’s FAUXAHONTAS! Get it right. Jeez.

Pretty much.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    More accurately put, the President cracks a joke about a person who claims Am. Indian ancestry with nothing to back it up other than family stories, while honoring Am. Indians.

Pretty much.

I guess depending on the respect you think those guys are deserving, one might think it's ok to make jokes insulting, unrelated people, concerning their ethnicity.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess depending on the respect you think those guys are deserving, one might think it's ok to make jokes insulting, unrelated people, concerning their ethnicity.

Setting aside the President's insensitivity, you seem to think it's perfectly alright for her to claim American Indian heritage, and reap the benefits thereof, despite the fact that it is untrue? I suppose in today's world this makes her a victim.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It’s not really them that he’s disrespecting. It’s the person who appropriated their identity that he disrespected. She checked the Native American box on an application so that she could reap the privileges afforded to them.

Now. Apart from that, it is rude and unbecoming for a president to do that. So I think we have a legitimate complaint about that. So why go for the hyperbole?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Is this the reference to where all the rest of the states pay for some states to raise state taxes?

Yes, current tax law allows itemizing deductions for state income and property taxes, and unlike, for example, medical expenses, there is no cap, so the sky's the limit. It primarily benefits those with high incomes and big, expensive houses. Doubly so if they live in states/localities with high taxes.

So, for a middle class tax payer (50k-100k), it might save a hundred to three hundred dollars, it saves the average super rich with an annual income over a million dollars, $40,777. Two thirds of the tax benefit goes to New York state and California, and primarily to the super-rich zipcodes in those two states... i.e. your big Democrat donors.

ETA: The mortgage interest deduction has similar problems. While the middle class might get some benefit, several hundred or a few thousand dollars, from itemizing above the $12,700 standard deduction, a movie star, professional athlete, CEO or Wallstreet titan who pays $500,000 in mortgage interest on a $20 million house saves ~$200k in federal taxes just on the mortgage interest alone. Let's say that they paid 10% state income tax on $20 million of income, or $2 million... the deduction saves them an additional $800,000. Traditionally, Dems would call this "welfare for the rich", except this means more money in their donors' pockets, which means more money in theirs. Lol!

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It’s not really them that he’s disrespecting. It’s the person who appropriated their identity that he disrespected. She checked the Native American box on an application so that she could reap the privileges afforded to them.

Now. Apart from that, it is rude and unbecoming for a president to do that. So I think we have a legitimate complaint about that. So why go for the hyperbole?
    I'm going to disagree with you here. It is disrespectful to them to talk about her in that setting. The event was supposed to be about them, not Trump insulting someone else. He can insult her at any other time.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I'm going to disagree with you here. It is disrespectful to them to talk about her in that setting. The event was supposed to be about them, not Trump insulting someone else. He can insult her at any other time.

I agree with you, KLB, it wasn't appropriate... and, if he just HAD TO, then the "art of the subtle" was called for... praise the code talkers as "the real deal, no if's and's or but's", for example. Maybe short bios on the men before him, their heritage, ancestors, etc.

Though, Warren took the bait, blasting on and on, reminding everyone about her lying and stealing cultural capital that wasn't hers, IMO, an infinitely worse offense.

Which, was the purpose of the remarks to begin with...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Setting aside the President's insensitivity, you seem to think it's perfectly alright for her to claim American Indian heritage, and reap the benefits thereof, despite the fact that it is untrue? I suppose in today's world this makes her a victim.

None of the above was addressed in any of my posts. Warren is fair game concerning her Native American claims. Bringing it up during a ceremony to honor Navajo code talkers, is pretty classless. Pocahantas was a real person, who was neither a member of the Navajo tribe nor a Marine. The only thing she has in common with the code talkers is the fact that her people were native to the North American continent.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    None of the above was addressed in any of my posts. Warren is fair game concerning her Native American claims. Bringing it up during a ceremony to honor Navajo code talkers, is pretty classless. Pocahantas was a real person, who was neither a member of the Navajo tribe nor a Marine. The only thing she has in common with the code talkers is the fact that her people were native to the North American continent.

Okay. I’ll agree with that. It was classless.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    So, Democrat House Minority Leader Pelosi initially defended Rep. John Conyers because he is a liberal "icon", "only one accuser and nobody knows who she is, do you?"

Then the 90's called and wanted their Bill Clinton "get out of jail free" card for using women like sex dolls back... too ef'ing funny.

Oh, and his former Deputy Chief of Staff:

UK Daily Mail: John Conyers asked me to his hotel room for sex and groped me TWICE says former deputy chief of staff after other aides accused him of sexual harassment
    Second woman accuses Rep John Conyers of sexual misconduct | Daily Mail Online

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't disagree with any of that. I was merely seeking clarification.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, Democrat House Minority Leader Pelosi initially defended Rep. John Conyers because he is a liberal "icon", "only one accuser and nobody knows who she is, do you?"

Then the 90's called and wanted their Bill Clinton "get out of jail free" card for using women like sex dolls back... too ef'ing funny.

Oh, and his former Deputy Chief of Staff:

UK Daily Mail: John Conyers asked me to his hotel room for sex and groped me TWICE says former deputy chief of staff after other aides accused him of sexual harassment
    Second woman accuses Rep John Conyers of sexual misconduct | Daily Mail Online

Conyers should be gone too. He's a crook that used taxpayer money inappropriately. No way he should keep his seat. Sure he did do some good things, but he's sat in that seat so long that he thinks he above the law.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom