• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Wow, that's yeast like I never heard of. But yeah, freeze distilling is just as restricted as evaporative, and with a lot of the things you make booze out of, it can leave in some toxic byproducts that stay behind in the still when you evaporate it. Can't remember what they were, though.

I am trying to find a reputable cite for it, but I don't think that fractional freezing is as restrictive as everyone thinks it is.
    I seem to remember that it has to do with the wording of it, unless it has been clarified recently. Something about you are removing water from the compound. The law makes it illegal to use those methods to remove alcohol from a compound. Don't quote me on that yet, untill I find a proper source for that argument.

Going to search the interwebz, be right back.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wow, that's yeast like I never heard of.

At one point several years ago, they had a great video on their website talking about the culturing process they used for the yeast. I can't find it now, but it was an interesting vid if you were into the geeked out biology side of the process.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am trying to find a reputable cite for it, but I don't think that fractional freezing is as restrictive as everyone thinks it is.
    I seem to remember that it has to do with the wording of it, unless it has been clarified recently. Something about you are removing water from the compound. The law makes it illegal to use those methods to remove alcohol from a compound. Don't quote me on that yet, untill I find a proper source for that argument.

Going to search the interwebz, be right back.

Yes it is illegal and you will go to jail if you are found doing it.

Here is a link, go the the legal section all distilled spirit manufacture is illegal unless certain federal rules and fee's are met/paid. And this makes it cost prohibitive for the small batch home distiller.

Home Distillation of Alcohol

FAQS directly from the BATFE: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s7
    here is the complete fed gov code you must meet to distil spirits: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/regs/27cfrpart019.htm

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Yes it is illegal and you will go to jail if you are found doing it.

I never said you wouldn't go to jail, just that I didn't think it was as restrictive as everyone thought. And that I needed to find clarification on it.

Here is a link, go the the legal section all distilled spirit manufacture is illegal unless certain federal rules and fee's are met/paid. And this makes it cost prohibitive for the small batch home distiller.

Home Distillation of Alcohol

FAQS directly from the BATFE: TTBGov Distilled Spirits FAQs
    here is the complete fed gov code you must meet to distil spirits: Code of Federal Regulations - Part 19

Not as restriction free as I had thought, but: ATF Ruling 94-3
    Its all about the taxes, remove water, remove volume, less to be taxed.

I have been homebrewing for 10+ years, and the subject of Eis-beers comes up often. There is an episode of The Jamil Show in which he talks to the ATF about it. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I will this afternoon.
    As I stated in another thread, just another sensless restriction put on citizens. All for the sake of "protecting" us from ourselves.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I never said you wouldn't go to jail, just that I didn't think it was as restrictive as everyone thought. And that I needed to find clarification on it.

Not as restriction free as I had thought, but: ATF Ruling 94-3
    Its all about the taxes, remove water, remove volume, less to be taxed.

I have been homebrewing for 10+ years, and the subject of Eis-beers comes up often. There is an episode of The Jamil Show in which he talks to the ATF about it. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I will this afternoon.
    As I stated in another thread, just another sensless restriction put on citizens. All for the sake of "protecting" us from ourselves.

Yeah I saw that thread and commented there two.

The BATFE has ruled it is illegal for any "person" to own/posses a still over one gallon. A "person" may own a still of one gallon or less for the purpose water purification or the distillation of essential oils from plants. All still manufactures must surrender the purchaser's information for any still purchase to the BATFE upon request, no warrant needed:n00b:.

These laws/rules apply regardless of the type/method of the still.

That being said beer and wine as brewed drinks are a completely different matter.

Also Ruling 94-3 only covers concentration AND reconstitution of beers at the brewer for commercial sales. The beer must be reconstituted with equal amounts of water and carbonation as were removed during the concentration process. It also only allows the concentrate to be transported/imported/exported to breweries owned by the same person/company. This ruling has no effect on the home brewer.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am not saying I like the rules and I am not defending them. I am just saying what they are and providing links so that people can make there own informed decisions about the making and consumption of alcoholic beverages at home.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The BATFE has ruled it is illegal for any "person" to own/posses a still over one gallon. A "person" may own a still of one gallon or less for the purpose water purification or the distillation of essential oils from plants. All still manufactures must surrender the purchaser's information for any still purchase to the BATFE upon request, no warrant needed:n00b:.

Hmmmmmm, sounds familiar. Much like a 4473? :dunno:

Also Ruling 94-3 only covers concentration AND reconstitution of beers at the brewer for commercial sales. The beer must be reconstituted with equal amounts of water and carbonation as were removed during the concentration process. It also only allows the concentrate to be transported/imported/exported to breweries owned by the same person/company. This ruling has no effect on the home brewer.

See I would interperate the first paragraph to mean that it doesn't have to be reconstituted, so long as the total volume was only reduced by 0.5% or less.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The definition of "beer concentrate" in 27 CFR 25.11 does not include a beer whose volume has been reduced as long as there is not more than a 0.5 percent by volume reduction in the beer, and the resultant product retains its character as beer. [/FONT]
    Emphasis added.

I understand that there are many many differences in the laws between "spirits" and Beer/wine. And even between professional brewing and homebrewing. I have been apart of the IN homebrewing community for some time now, and have many friends on the professional side. One whom is going through the process of paper work with the ATF at the moment to open a brewery. Which is why I would never take that hobby and make a job out of it.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I wonder if I started a thread about g-strings if y'all could turn it into a political discussion as well? Beer is good. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's good then that a still involves such complex technology that nobody but a proper manufacturer could possibly make one.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If you can still find it, I believe Utopia is worth whatever they are asking. It isn't easy to find anymore and if you can put a bottle or two up, I would recommend doing so. Something like 3 lbs of hops in every bottle! I tried it when it was first avail like 5-6 years ago and it was only $100, I thought it was a one time production but could be mistaken.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If you can still find it, I believe Utopia is worth whatever they are asking. It isn't easy to find anymore and if you can put a bottle or two up, I would recommend doing so. Something like 3 lbs of hops in every bottle! I tried it when it was first avail like 5-6 years ago and it was only $100, I thought it was a one time production but could be mistaken.

A video on Sam adams says the make it every other year.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hot Scotchie

I wonder what a thickened up malty beer mixed with scotch would taste like in comparison to that. I brew my own and when getting the sugars together for the boil, I like to mix it with some scotch. No hops in there yet but it does taste pretty good.

Alan

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I wonder what a thickened up malty beer mixed with scotch would taste like in comparison to that. I brew my own and when getting the sugars together for the boil, I like to mix it with some scotch. No hops in there yet but it does taste pretty good.

Alan

First wort runnings from the mash tun and scotch? I've never thought of that. I'll have to give that a whirl.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    First wort runnings from the mash tun and scotch? I've never thought of that. I'll have to give that a whirl.
    You'll be glad you did. Get it right after you finish the vorlauf so it's still pretty sweet. Problem is once you try it, if people are over helping you brew you're going to come up short on your OG. Hot scotchies are almost better than the finished product!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You'll be glad you did. Get it right after you finish the vorlauf so it's still pretty sweet. Problem is once you try it, if people are over helping you brew you're going to come up short on your OG. Hot scotchies are almost better than the finished product!

Is hot scotchies a set up configuration in ProMash's equipment settings? I can't find anywhere to adjust for it in Beer Smith. :D

Top Bottom