• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I was picking out my expensive beer this evening so I could join Scutter's beer snob review thread when I stumbled across this

Sam Adams Utopia priced at $200 :wow:

75z1Z.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've heard of that. It's supposedly fantastic, but not worth $200. It's practically a liqueur at something like 24% ABV. I'm willing to try it if you're buying, though. :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I had some at a beer tasting I went to once, it tastes more like a scotchy-brandy cordial than any beer I've ever had. It was ok, but nowhere near worth the price tag. If I would've been able to try it without knowing how much it was first, maybe I would've enjoyed it a little more. Knowing the price made me expect the world of that beer, and it didn't deliver. Sam Adam's Oktoberfest is a better beer IMHO, especially when you take the price-per-volume into account. Jim Koch is a talented brewer, but this isn't his "thing."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had some at a beer tasting I went to once, it tastes more like a scotchy-brandy cordial than any beer I've ever had. It was ok, but nowhere near worth the price tag. If I would've been able to try it without knowing how much it was first, maybe I would've enjoyed it a little more. Knowing the price made me expect the world of that beer, and it didn't deliver. Sam Adam's Oktoberfest is a better beer IMHO, especially when you take the price-per-volume into account. Jim Koch is a talented brewer, but this isn't his "thing."

I think you normally don't drink it by the bottle anyway. Since it's virtually zero carbonation and very thick, I suspect it's meant to be drunk an ounce or two at a time, like a cognac.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've heard of that. It's supposedly fantastic, but not worth $200. It's practically a liqueur at something like 24% ABV. I'm willing to try it if you're buying, though. :D

Yeah, I was this close *holds thumb and index finger within a 1/4"* to buying a bottle, but I couldn't get my buddies on board(I sure as hell wasn't buying a $200 beer for myself).

I read that it basically drinks like a brandy.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think you normally don't drink it by the bottle anyway. Since it's virtually zero carbonation and very thick, I suspect it's meant to be drunk an ounce or two at a time, like a cognac.

I understand that, but even taking that into consideration I still had a hard time enjoying it. I think Johnnie Walker Blue or Macallan 18yr. is better for the money. Just my :twocents:.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There may indeed be beer in there, but there has to be something distilled involved. Even the hardiest champagne yeast can barely get you over 16%, so it should come across like a brandy or cognac.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    It is no longer the highest ABV there are fractional frozen beers that atenow well above it. But it may still be the highest traditional ABV.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Utopias is fermented, no distilling involved. Highest ABV of any beer, or at least it used to be.

Utopias brewing and blending method

It is the highest naturally fermented beer on the market.

Brewdog out of Scottland has been for a number of years competing and winning for the highest ABV beer. Acheived through freeze distilation, where in the beer is frozen to a slushy state, and the ice (water) is removed, leaving behind a higher concentrated beer. Their Sink the Bizmark is weighing in at an impressive 41% ABV :eek:

Oh and Utopias is so so. I thought is was alright, but then again I wasn't paying for it so it didn't have as high of expectations to live up to for me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Wow, that's yeast like I never heard of. But yeah, freeze distilling is just as restricted as evaporative, and with a lot of the things you make booze out of, it can leave in some toxic byproducts that stay behind in the still when you evaporate it. Can't remember what they were, though.

Top Bottom