• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trencher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2024
    Grant County
    I'm new to this forum, but I believe some of this is perception. Most likely there are many generations represented here and each generation interacts differently. I come from a generation where sarcasm and b busting is normal and not taken personally. I've noticed other generations didn't experience this and do take it personally, even when it is not the intent. I'm sure we can all do better in our discussions.

Gunaddict

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I, too, have been accosted by the perceived “snobs” occasionally. I have learned to try and keep a thicker skin because there will always be individuals perceived that way on any public forum. Although, sometimes, there are very well meaning and just not great communicators. There is much to learn and a lot of good advice and opinions to help you along with whatever quest you may be on. You can also ignore or block those you may feel are not on your wavelength if you so desire. Happy hunting!!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've had the opportunity to meet several fellow members here. Each was a completely different sort but great people all. I've had the pleasure to work on setting up a press, casted some round balls, hunted and hung out with another.
    I've really only busted someone's balls when they wrote a long missive with no punctuation and with many spellin errers. I should not have to think about what I reading that dang hard.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm new to this forum, but I believe some of this is perception. Most likely there are many generations represented here and each generation interacts differently. I come from a generation where sarcasm and b busting is normal and not taken personally. I've noticed other generations didn't experience this and do take it personally, even when it is not the intent. I'm sure we can all do better in our discussions.
    I don't know why, but your post made me think of the movie Gran Torino, specifically the scene where Clint Eastwood takes the kid to the barbershop and schools him on how to talk like a man.

Now, I don't go around dropping the F-bomb like Clint, here or in real life, but the underlying message of that scene (and the film as a whole) had a lot of validity. If there is depth of relationship and earned respect, the words themselves are received differently. But that's also hard to establish and convey via a forum post on the Internet, especially with newer members who haven't yet established themselves in the community.

Trencher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2024
    Grant County
    I don't know why, but your post made me think of the movie Gran Torino, specifically the scene where Clint Eastwood takes the kid to the barbershop and schools him on how to talk like a man.

Now, I don't go around dropping the F-bomb like Clint, here or in real life, but the underlying message of that scene (and the film as a whole) had a lot of validity. If there is depth of relationship and earned respect, the words themselves are received differently. But that's also hard to establish and convey via a forum post on the Internet, especially with newer members who haven't yet established themselves in the community.

Sarcasm and wit are hard to convey in a written format, such as this. I agree, it also, depends on the relationship with the individual. As a whole, I try to believe most people are joking around with comments. Some are gruff in speech and come across as something they are not. I would rather presume the best before thinking the worse of someone before I get to know them. In relation to the topic at hand in this thread, we all can be better in our communication.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Not a bit of probs w the mods, but that shot about J frames is just Stu-pid. They are Gods gift to the earth.

:lmfao:
    You definitely had the best definition of J frames I have ever heard.
    I have a thing for them ever since I had the first one in my hand.
    A friend of mine told me about INGO several (about 13) years ago, and if I remember right I posted some about something or may be asked a question about something, and received a few replies that made me think what the heck???
    Said something to my friend and his response was "f*** 'em" so after that I was careful as how ai responded or started a thread.
    Been on here around 13 years and only have about 750 responses, but just by reading I have learned a lotand started several threads.
    So Mij I appreciate this thread.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Im certain some people on here have a negative view of me. Being in a compilation guy (and not a pistol guy in general) . I want to discuss the ballistics of a 6BR or why go 6XC vs 6.5-284 (6.5 norma)
    I generally keep my mouth shut. Example, most people worship the 10/22 or think accuracy is a 1 inch group at 50 yards off the bench. I get it, I live in a different world, therefore I try not to flame anyone. The people I do flame say really stupid things like my 22lr will do a 1 inch group at 600 yards. Or an 8mm Mauser is illegal to own because it was a German gun. Sometimes I just walk away because you can't fix stupid.
    There times I do enjoy bragging just a bit about my 600 yard (mid range) or a Palma match I did well at. The 800 & 900 yard targets aren't that hard, that 1000 yard is hard......... this comes from everyone around me being happy with average, so I like to do above average.
    Sad thing I will share all me knowledge, about reloading, smallbore or high power, tool making.....but no one wants it, they just wanna brag about El cheapo rimfire ammo performance.....or how they can hit a tin can at 300 yards with a 38 sp.

In other words, I get it, it ain't good enough....I get it.....I get flammed for owning an Anschutz, shooting Palma & no being a diehard revolver guy

Aaron

And I'm sorry if you you all think I'm that gruff guy, who has no humor

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You sure? This site is considered "social media".

But yes, I think it has more negative effect especially on younger folks who can't put it down.
    I hope more schools ban phones from classrooms, kids need to learn and practice some discipline.
    Yes I'm sure. I'm mainly talking about IG, X, FB, TicTok. But if we lump in talk forums too, then I'd be fine with that. I've never had an account on FB, X or Twitter, IG or TickTok. I'm a member here and Arfcom. That's it. And only since 2013. I survived just fine before 2013 and I'd survive without the forums even though they can be an excellent resource. Which is the main reason I'd hate to see them go

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Jeez people, this is the freaking internet.
    A whole bunch of anonymous people can get together and talk about **** we're interested in and we never really know who we're talking to.
    It allows some people the ability to trash talk, bad mouth, be jerks and say things to others that they would never say to their face. Maybe it makes them feel like someone important without being accountable for their comments.
    If your ego is so brittle that you can't take the good conversations and ignore the bs, you probably shouldn't be hanging around on an anonymous talk site.
    Rant over.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    The way I view things is we are a group of people from all walks of life with at least one common interest. Personalities clash. It happens everywhere. We are all trying to get to the same place, but draw our own maps to get there. Or meeting on the same road before going in slightly different places within the same destination. I know some doesn't look at it in the perspective. And I have gotten into discussions that I saw getting heated really quick, but some of these same people came with good advice and encouragement on other topics. I still see some posts about subjects I disagree with and had commented on. My posts had done nothing to change someones mind. So I just roll my eyes and move on. lol

My second job has gotten really busy for the last few weeks, and it hasn't left me with a lot of free time to post on here. And I have tried to read and keep up on the threads I watch. That is my reason for not posting a lot recently. I'm sure each and everyone on this site either has or is dealing with something in real life causing their activity to be slow. So what I'm saying is there could be several reasons for people not being as active right now. We were all also told to have thick skin to be apart of INGO. So I don't feel like the mean old gun owner that is set in their ways is to blame. Might be part of it, but not the root cause.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... We were all also told to have thick skin to be apart of INGO. ...

Hate to say it, but this mentality so often repeated leads to why the OP posted his thoughts.

IMHO, we should be encouraging manners and politeness among INGOers rather than smartass or dickhead contests then telling the victims to grow a thicker skin.

We CAN educate all members, new and old without being a DB about it. All we have to do is think about our own words before saying them rather than forcing others to think about the words used abrasively.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Im certain some people on here have a negative view of me. Being in a compilation guy (and not a pistol guy in general) . I want to discuss the ballistics of a 6BR or why go 6XC vs 6.5-284 (6.5 norma)
    I generally keep my mouth shut. Example, most people worship the 10/22 or think accuracy is a 1 inch group at 50 yards off the bench. I get it, I live in a different world, therefore I try not to flame anyone. The people I do flame say really stupid things like my 22lr will do a 1 inch group at 600 yards. Or an 8mm Mauser is illegal to own because it was a German gun. Sometimes I just walk away because you can't fix stupid.
    There times I do enjoy bragging just a bit about my 600 yard (mid range) or a Palma match I did well at. The 800 & 900 yard targets aren't that hard, that 1000 yard is hard......... this comes from everyone around me being happy with average, so I like to do above average.
    Sad thing I will share all me knowledge, about reloading, smallbore or high power, tool making.....but no one wants it, they just wanna brag about El cheapo rimfire ammo performance.....or how they can hit a tin can at 300 yards with a 38 sp.

In other words, I get it, it ain't good enough....I get it.....I get flammed for owning an Anschutz, shooting Palma & no being a diehard revolver guy

Aaron

And I'm sorry if you you all think I'm that gruff guy, who has no humor
    See to me, we need to hear more from a guy that has those abilities. Brag away.
    To a guy like me that is glad to keep a 1 inch group at 50 yards, I would love to extend that out to even 100 yards. Some of us know that the guy shooting acorns at 500 yards with the cheapest gun and cheapest ammo he can find, is likely a blowhard.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    It ain't bragging if you can do it.
    I was like you, 50 to 75 yards was about my limit, occasionally got to shoot out to 200.
    Last summer I took a precision rifle course and over 3 days learned how to shoot long range and ended up shooting steel consistently at 1240 yds.
    I have great respect for anyone who shoots long range in competition or just for fun.
    It's certainly not easy, but once you get it, the fundamentals, and the knowledge to call wind and bullet drop, it is extremely satisfying.

See to me, we need to hear more from a guy that has those abilities. Brag away.
    To a guy like me that is glad to keep a 1 inch group at 50 yards, I would love to extend that out to even 100 yards. Some of us know that the guy shooting acorns at 500 yards with the cheapest gun and cheapest ammo he can find, is likely a blowhard.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hate to say it, but this mentality so often repeated leads to why the OP posted his thoughts.

IMHO, we should be encouraging manners and politeness among INGOers rather than smartass or dickhead contests then telling the victims to grow a thicker skin.

We CAN educate all members, new and old without being a DB about it. All we have to do think about our own words before saying them rather than forcing others to think about the words used abrasively.

:twocents:
    I think it really takes both having thicker skin and encouraging politeness or general common respect. Hard reality is sometimes someone has to tell a person they are wrong. Or they need to be informed that what there's something better. Maybe it's a technique learned from training or maybe it's a better suited gun for a specific discipline of shooting. Or maybe it's telling someone they need to stop putting their Sig ___ in a generic Uncle Mike's pancake holster and expecting it to be secure.
    Likewise, we need to be mindful when sharing info that we need to be careful how we say things. It's hard to get context or intent from written words.

Top Bottom