750.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    No funds? Ha!

Public education has been drowning in funds for decades and things kept getting worse.

Contrary to the cartoonist's implication, the recent cutbacks are NOT responsible.
    I agree. I'd make some adjustments to the cartoon but I like the gist of it. :):

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You know it's not that they are incapable of maintaining discipline, the way the laws are written on corporal punishment in schools hogties any administrator/teacher from disciplining them.

I remember while I was in 7th grade in Junior High, kid came up and sucker punched me from behind, of course I was down and out for the count, but that did not stop the principle from swinging a 4 inch wide, 3 foot long paddle on my and the instigators arse.

Kids today have NO FEAR because all they have to do is scream CHILD ABUSE whether it happened or not, the parent is guilty until proven innocent. Until laws are changed so parents and other elders may provide that much needed kick in rear, the child/kid/yound adult will have the upper hand. They are not naive, they learn quick and fast in today's word.

I got into a... well, let's be polite and call it a scuffle... or two when I was in Junior High. Once, I got three licks with a paddle for it. Another, my mother wouldn't allow them to do that, because I'd done nothing wrong.
    It has been my understanding that if you just stand (or lay) there and take it, you are not punished, but if you fight back at all, "zero tolerance" (aka zero thinking) demands that you be punished just as is the instigator of the fight. This is the first time I've heard of someone getting punished for being knocked out cold with the first punch!

Mrjarrell, the key here, as I see it, is that your kids behave because they have active, involved, caring parents. Story time:
    When my daughter was in kindergarten, she rode the bus home. One day, she came bursting into the house (I'm told; I was asleep as I worked nights at the time) with, "Mommy, Mommy... I sat next to a 14 year old on the bus, and he's already having sex with his girlfriend, and he pulled it out and showed it to me!"
    My wife was able, somehow, to maintain enough composure to ask her to describe what she saw, and the answer included the words, "mushroom", "hole in the top", and "wrinkles underneath". We went to the school and spoke with the principal. With the description given by my five-year-old daughter (the last sentence of the preceding paragraph), the school was able to identify the child in question, who was in second grade, not "age 14", and who, on investigation, claimed it was his finger. The school had no reply when told what our daughter reported as a description of what she saw. The answer we got was, "There are only so many spots on the bus not next to (name)." They could not see that if they removed (name), EVERY seat would be "not next to" him, and they told us that his parents were somewhat unwilling to participate in disciplinary proceedings of any type. Do note that this is not an inner-city school, nor were there huge disciplinary problems, as evidenced by the fact that (name) was so easily identified.

So then, I ask you: When the parents refuse to be involved and enforce discipline and the schools are not permitted to do more than shake a finger :nono: and say "No no no...", what option exists? I think we're all in agreement that we don't WANT the police involved, nor do we necessarily want the schools paddling our kids. I think further that we are all in agreement that discipline is the purview of the parent. How do you make that happen, and since obviously, you can't MAKE parents tan those little hooligan backsides as they need to be, what concrete suggestion have you for how to keep the environment about learning and keep the little monsters from interfering with those who DO want to learn and are there to do so?

In our case, we simply began doing the driving to and from school; she no longer rode the bus. This was problematic due to my work and sleep schedules, but there was no other option. Note that this didn't solve the problem at all, it merely shifted it to other children.

Often, the early educational years are referred to as "elementary schools". I disagree. With the problem kids (often a result of problem parents) that we see, I think they should be called "alimentary schools", in recognition of what, with some exceptions, they produce.

I look forward to your replies.

Blessings,
    Bill

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got into a... well, let's be polite and call it a scuffle... or two when I was in Junior High. Once, I got three licks with a paddle for it. Another, my mother wouldn't allow them to do that, because I'd done nothing wrong.

Nothing wrong with getting paddled in school. I got it in first grade. I learned quickly and early that there was discipline and never got paddled again. My parents reaction, they said I had it coming and gave me another one.

So then, I ask you: When the parents refuse to be involved and enforce discipline and the schools are not permitted to do more than shake a finger :nono: and say "No no no...", what option exists? I think we're all in agreement that we don't WANT the police involved, nor do we necessarily want the schools paddling our kids. I think further that we are all in agreement that discipline is the purview of the parent.

None except vigilante justice. If your kid bothers my kid, it is now left to me to address the issue with you and your child, whether that is through force or lawsuits, who knows. If there is no discipline in the schools then it becomes a lawless society there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I got into a... well, let's be polite and call it a scuffle... or two when I was in Junior High. Once, I got three licks with a paddle for it. Another, my mother wouldn't allow them to do that, because I'd done nothing wrong...
    In JR High I got 'the paddle' for simple horseplay. No fight. No 'scuffle.' Just goofing around with a couple friends, it may have 'looked' like a fight to an uninformed observer, but it was nothing. Got sent to the principal, we each got paddled for fighting despite the fact that none of us ever threw a punch, slapped, etc.

What I learned was simple. Do not even APPEAR to do things that could be misconstrued as wrong. The Catholics refer to it as the "near occasion of sin" and as far as I'm concerned it matters not what it is called, but the point is very clear. If you look guilty based on your actions then there was probably something that was not completely above board or honorable.

Lessons can be learned by getting a swat ... whether you deserve it or not.

Nothing wrong with getting paddled in school. I got it in first grade. I learned quickly and early that there was discipline and never got paddled again. My parents reaction, they said I had it coming and gave me another one.
    Agreed. My 1 trip to the principal's office to get whacked on the butt was all it took to teach me that I didn't care to do things that even appeared to be suspicious.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    No funds? Ha!

Public education has been drowning in funds for decades and things kept getting worse.

Contrary to the cartoonist's implication, the recent cutbacks are NOT responsible.

Indeed. What I find interesting is we have laws restricting HOW schools spend the money we give them. So, it's apparant that we don't trust schools with the money we give them, but they need more of it to be successful?

Wrap your mind around that.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, Texas meets all the air quality standards demanded of it, but it uses primarily coal fired plants and the EPA wants to shut down coal fired electricity. BTW, Indiana uses a lot of coal fired electric generating plants too.

Although Texas has significant coal fired plants, they primarily get their electricity from Natural Gas.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Anyone heard what is happening in WI now that Gov. Walkers plan has kicked in? All the schools in the state now have HUGE surpluses, the teachers are all happy and the union is about to come under investigation for their insurance frauds......I am SOOOO happy he stood by his action without backing down...other states are watching closely and already beginning to follow WIs lead!!!! HUGE WIN FOR KIDS AND TAXPAYERS!!!!!

Top Bottom