• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Keep discipline of students at the school level and in the school. There's absolutely no reason to ever get cops involved, unless a real criminal offence has been committed. If a schools administration is incapable of maintaining discipline then that's the fault of the school and someone needs to be replaced by people who can do their jobs. Creating criminals is not the job of schools, which is what these Texas schools (and probably other states) are doing.

Do you have children? Serious question.

I only ask because the idea of 'maintaining discipline' by someone who doesn't have any real authority is laughable. There are countless examples of parents who can't maintain the discipline in their own home. And yet somehow you think that a school administrator that has infinitely fewer options available to him is going to be able to do what the parents can't.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Keep discipline of students at the school level and in the school. There's absolutely no reason to ever get cops involved, unless a real criminal offence has been committed. If a schools administration is incapable of maintaining discipline then that's the fault of the school and someone needs to be replaced by people who can do their jobs. Creating criminals is not the job of schools, which is what these Texas schools (and probably other states) are doing.

Wow:n00b:

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying before I respond.

1) you are saying the schools are intending to create criminals? (bolded your text for reference)
    2)Schools administrators who can't maintain discipline because local/state/federal law along with fear of private law suits prevent any type of actual punishment other than vacation time need to be replaced. (Highlighted your text in Green for reference.)

the parents this article is talking about believe their kids do nothing wrong and when their children are suspended or expelled believe the school was in error and let there kids run free as if they were on summer vacation. Please tell me how that is punishment as most kids don't want to go to school anyway.

Also when I was in school, and yes I went to public school, if two people had a problem and wanted to fight. They could go down to the wrestling room and the wrestling coach who was also the P.E. teacher would put the thick headgear on us and then strap us up with 16oz boxing gloves and let us swing it out. after words we had to "hug it out". And, that was always the end of the problem and no one was injured or went to jail.

We have so pacified kids these days they have no way to release there natural and intrinsic aggression. Men are naturally hunter/gathers and we have an innate desire to fill that need in our brains. Some accomplish this by continuing to hunt, some by shooting sports, other fishing, and the list goes on. But when kids are not provided with proper outlet for this need, be it on the playing field or at a shooting range, or wherever they will take it out in a manner that is destructive not only to themselves but others as well.

I have always said a good stick is a sword a better stick is a bazooka.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    But that does not work either.
    The one lady with three kids, 10 year old son got in a scuffle on the bus. That kind of crap has happened for decades, but now we need to send him and his mother to court and charge her $370 for some anger management. I don't care who started the fight, it should not be in court unless someone was injured.
    I dunno. A $370 hit to my pocketbook would certainly provide incentive for some discipline at home. Asking nicely doesn't seem to work.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    to compare hamilton county family structure to inner city indpls family structure seems a bit off to me.And i think we can all agree the problem starts with a lack of discipline and support at home

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do you have children? Serious question.

I only ask because the idea of 'maintaining discipline' by someone who doesn't have any real authority is laughable. There are countless examples of parents who can't maintain the discipline in their own home. And yet somehow you think that a school administrator that has infinitely fewer options available to him is going to be able to do what the parents can't.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I am a parent. And the schools in my area are maintaining discipline on a daily basis without sending kids to court or contacting the cops. It CAN be done and is done on a daily basis by people who are in control of their schools and doing their jobs in the proper manner.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It CAN be done and is done on a daily basis by people who are in control of their schools and doing their jobs in the proper manner.
    And there is the root of the problem......

Sounds like you are doing your job as a parent and responsible citizen. That allows the school and teachers to do their job, and the local PD can focus on real crime.

So.... how do we convince the fine folks mentioned in this article to do their jobs?

Asking them to be responsible doesn't seem to work.
    Hitting them in the pocket book seems to be off limits.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You're still comparing Carmel to inner city schools? Seriously?
    I'm not comparing Carmel to anything, I don't live there. I would say that I am comparing Hamilton County schools, as well as many, if not most of the surrounding counties. Hell, I can compare the schools to my former state of residence and get the same comparison, and it was a liberal bastion. Seriously.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I'm not comparing Carmel to anything, I don't live there. I would say that I am comparing Hamilton County schools, as well as many, if not most of the surrounding counties. Hell, I can compare the schools to my former state of residence and get the same comparison, and it was a liberal bastion. Seriously.

So, what are you purposing as a means to impose authority on children in schools when it is clear that the parents will be of no assistance.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cops aren't the answer and neither are courts. Schools in my area certainly seem to be able to discipline students without resorting to cops and courts. I'd be willing to bet it's the same in most areas of Indiana. Nothing's been removed from the discipline equation here and I somehow doubt that parents are that different here than in Texas. Looks to me like Texas decided that they'd use the force of their cops rather than address the problem in the schools. The schools seem to be the ones passing the buck, in this instance.

I try to listen to everybody's point of view with an open mind but I'm beginning to wish you had at least one other set of glasses to look at the world through. Not trying to be the hecklers veto but I just can't figure out how you get up and do anything with such a negative viewpoint on the country and the world. Go fishing. Hug your kids. Tell us about something good that happened. I haven't the time to search all your posts and read everything you've written but it sure seems that every time I see your prose there is no good thing in the world.:(

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I dunno. A $370 hit to my pocketbook would certainly provide incentive for some discipline at home. Asking nicely doesn't seem to work.

I do not know if that 10 year old in the article started the fight or not and do not care. A little scuffle as they put it is no reason to assume this kid is out of control and order expensive classes for him to attend.

So if my kid gets in a fight that he didn't start I should potentially have to pay to put him thru anger management classes?

I have always told my kids to avoid fights, if you cannot avoid it then defend yourself and finish it. We will worry about everything else later, just defend yourself first.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "If a schools administration is incapable of maintaining discipline then that's the fault of the school and someone needs to be replaced by people who can do their jobs."

I agree with that MJ, but will the NEA/teachers unions allow that to happen?
    Sounds like they did? They brought in LEO to maintain discipline, so the teachers can do their jobs.

BTW: I don't like this any more than you all do. I just happen to work in Education, and see stuff like this all the time. Public Education, for the most part, blows chunks. There are some brilliant examples out there, but so many more cesspools, and lots of mediocrity in between.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    "If a schools administration is incapable of maintaining discipline then that's the fault of the school and someone needs to be replaced by people who can do their jobs."

I agree with that MJ, but will the NEA/teachers unions allow that to happen?

You know it's not that they are incapable of maintaining discipline, the way the laws are written on corporal punishment in schools hogties any administrator/teacher from disciplining them.

I remember while I was in 7th grade in Junior High, kid came up and sucker punched me from behind, of course I was down and out for the count, but that did not stop the principle from swinging a 4 inch wide, 3 foot long paddle on my and the instigators arse.

Kids today have NO FEAR because all they have to do is scream CHILD ABUSE whether it happened or not, the parent is guilty until proven innocent. Until laws are changed so parents and other elders may provide that much needed kick in rear, the child/kid/yound adult will have the upper hand. They are not naive, they learn quick and fast in today's word.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg

I agree that the discipline should remain with the school but the only way we are going to get back to that is by restricting a parent's ability to take legal action against the school for administering discipline. Now imagine the can of worms that will open?:eek: It's also not that the school administrators are incompetent (well, not all of them anyway) it's that they have been ham-stringed by the lawyers. This is not an education problem, it's not a police problem, it's a problem with the legal system and the litigious nature our society has been reduced to. Unfortunately the mess the lawyers have made is left to be cleaned up by the education and law enforcement authorities.

As for creating criminals by placing police officers in schools... I simply suggest that you read a book by Patrick Suppes called Introduction To Logic.

Top Bottom