• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. I don't see the fascination with that place. It's a police state, run by the worst sorts of people, as this new revelation shows. Cops in schools and handing out tickets to school kids for minor disciplinary infractions. Everything's the hammer with these people. Of course, if the goal is to create a generation or two that purely hate cops and government, then Texas is doing a bang up job. Cops don't belong in schools and districts certainly shouldn't have school police forces. If this is what Rick Perry can do for the nation then we are truly screwed if he gets elected.

In Texas schools, response to misbehavior is questioned - The Washington Post

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It is my understanding that MOST of the problems with students in the Texas system come from "disadvantaged single parent urban centers" where the term "family" is unknown, where words and phrases like "individual responsibility," "fatherhood" and "consequences" have no common meaning.

In these areas the kids are shoved off to school and the parental attitude is that the school is supposed to raise the child. Yet there is no support for the child at home because home life is often an absentee single parent.

Strikes me that the REAL story here is that Texas is trying to get through to the PARENTS that they have to actually raise their own kids.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree that discipline should be handle in the schools by the teachers. We have taken that ability away from them, and students now run amok. These children are not receiving any discipline at home, and our teachers are hog-tied, so who is left?

This country has a serious "pass the buck" or "**** rolls downhill" problem. Parents don't want to be parents, they don't want the schools to be parents, so the government gets to step in and be parents. We are raising whole generations of "it ain't my problem", who have their own kids, who then point the finger at the next guy down the line.

Don't know how to "fix" it. Maybe let the schools completely crash and burn? Seems sad to put kids through that. We can ASK parents to step up, and TELL schools to back off, but we have been doing that for decades.

The current trend is for folks that "can" will home school or pay for a private schools. Those that "can't" get tossed into the cesspool of public education, and this is what we get.

</rant off>

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The schools can't discipline the kids at all now or they will get sued. In addition to the group of youngsters that melensdad mentions, a sizable percentage are also the children of illegals. Many of the little darlings are gang members. I am not really sure what the schools are supposed to do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Screenshot2011-08-23at82007AM.png

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    We're going to hear a lot of derogatory issues coming out of Texas, IMO to somewhat discredit Rick Perry. The article OP refers to is in the Washington Post, a very liberal paper. In reading the article, what I got is that kids who get suspended tend to have other problems. What a revelation!!!

Just on WLS this morning, they are talking about how the EPA has taken over how pollution is managed in Texas. As implemented it will result in rolling blackouts. Interesting how Obama decided to let his dogs loose on Texas.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It is my understanding that MOST of the problems with students in the Texas system come from "disadvantaged single parent urban centers" where the term "family" is unknown, where words and phrases like "individual responsibility," "fatherhood" and "consequences" have no common meaning.

In these areas the kids are shoved off to school and the parental attitude is that the school is supposed to raise the child. Yet there is no support for the child at home because home life is often an absentee single parent.

Strikes me that the REAL story here is that Texas is trying to get through to the PARENTS that they have to actually raise their own kids.
    :+1:

The lady that was interviewed even said she was a single parent with a total of three children.

I think that this option requires the parents involvement in the punishment and that in and of itself is not a bad thing. If the parents wont willing raise their children on their own, then the state will force them too. I have no problem with teaching kids that actions have consequences at a young age. Youth is not an excuse for bad behavior. Anything a parent foster at a young age will grow as the child grows.

Also, OP, did you notice that the first thing the mother wanted to do was basically say it's not her sons fault it is his multiple learning disabilities. I hate the excuse it's not his fault he has a mental problem.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just on WLS this morning, they are talking about how the EPA has taken over how pollution is managed in Texas. As implemented it will result in rolling blackouts. Interesting how Obama decided to let his dogs loose on Texas.

Yes, Texas meets all the air quality standards demanded of it, but it uses primarily coal fired plants and the EPA wants to shut down coal fired electricity. BTW, Indiana uses a lot of coal fired electric generating plants too.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Cops in schools.....hmmmm.

Want to stop biotching about what happens in other parts of the country, try here.

Indianapolis Public Schools Police Dept.

Ya that's right, IPS has had there own Police force that I know of for over 26 years and at one time I had heard that they have been around a lot longer than that.

Me personally I have no problem with cops in schools with the amount of violence that happens there. Teachers can not enforce/punish students like they used to for fear of retribution through the legal system.

Heck personally some of the things that happen at schools the student or students need to be locked up and given a taste of what will happen in the future to them.

Give them a dose of reality.....

SHOCK AND AWE THEM!!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I agree that discipline should be handle in the schools by the teachers. We have taken that ability away from them, and students now run amok. These children are not receiving any discipline at home, and our teachers are hog-tied, so who is left?

This country has a serious "pass the buck" or "**** rolls downhill" problem. Parents don't want to be parents, they don't want the schools to be parents, so the government gets to step in and be parents. We are raising whole generations of "it ain't my problem", who have their own kids, who then point the finger at the next guy down the line.

Don't know how to "fix" it. Maybe let the schools completely crash and burn? Seems sad to put kids through that. We can ASK parents to step up, and TELL schools to back off, but we have been doing that for decades.

The current trend is for folks that "can" will home school or pay for a private schools. Those that "can't" get tossed into the cesspool of public education, and this is what we get.

</rant off>
    Cops aren't the answer and neither are courts. Schools in my area certainly seem to be able to discipline students without resorting to cops and courts. I'd be willing to bet it's the same in most areas of Indiana. Nothing's been removed from the discipline equation here and I somehow doubt that parents are that different here than in Texas. Looks to me like Texas decided that they'd use the force of their cops rather than address the problem in the schools. The schools seem to be the ones passing the buck, in this instance.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Cops aren't the answer and neither are courts. Schools in my area certainly seem to be able to discipline students without resorting to cops and courts. I'd be willing to bet it's the same in most areas of Indiana. Nothing's been removed from the discipline equation here and I somehow doubt that parents are that different here than in Texas. Looks to me like Texas decided that they'd use the force of their cops rather than address the problem in the schools. The schools seem to be the ones passing the buck, in this instance.

So what is the solution, then?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    We had cops in my school in Illinois, 15 years ago. The article mentions the same issues in Connecticut. So what? You think this is uniquely Rick Perry's fault? or that it's somehow better to let juvenile delinquents run rampant, because their parents won't do anything and the teachers can't do anything? Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant plan.

Weak sauce.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Wow, so the kids are Carmel HS are not as hard to discipline as ones in downtown Houston... I am just shocked.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Wow, so the kids are Carmel HS are not as hard to discipline as ones in downtown Houston... I am just shocked.

Carmel is a very rough urban neighborhood. You just don't know how bad it is. The level of social decay is SHOCKING, I tell you!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Schools in your area? IPS is not that different than the schools in this article. They have uniformed LEOs on site all day. Metal detectors at the doors, and random searches. Arrests on school property are fairly common, and much more frequent than up in Hamilton County. The feed kids breakfast, lunch, and dinner, because their "parents" can't be bothered to feed them at home. Not ALL IPS schools are like this, but a few are.

I work with a few public schools down in the Houston areas frequently. They make IPS look like a quaint little township school. They have over a dozen school districts, each an order of magnitude larger than all of IPS. Parents have passed the buck on 100's of thousands of kids. The schools are flat broke. Teachers are trying their best, but are underpaid, under equipped, and have next to no authority in their own classroom. They don't have a buck to pass. When the kids act out, and mommy/daddy don't care, the school system can't care, who do you call?

There are answers out there. Unfortunately, we (as a society) care more about Jersey Shores than whether or not our own kids can do math. Follow the money, and you'll see what we value in this country. Education isn't in the top 10.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So what is the solution, then?
    Keep discipline of students at the school level and in the school. There's absolutely no reason to ever get cops involved, unless a real criminal offence has been committed. If a schools administration is incapable of maintaining discipline then that's the fault of the school and someone needs to be replaced by people who can do their jobs. Creating criminals is not the job of schools, which is what these Texas schools (and probably other states) are doing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It doesn't, but all other options are off the table. Enforcing local laws is all that is left.
    But that does not work either.
    The one lady with three kids, 10 year old son got in a scuffle on the bus. That kind of crap has happened for decades, but now we need to send him and his mother to court and charge her $370 for some anger management. I don't care who started the fight, it should not be in court unless someone was injured.

Top Bottom