• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    more representation, less pay. we need more representatives of the people. Two senators per state is not enough--there should be one from every county. 100 or so senators is not enough representation for 300 million people. there should be multiple members from each county. this will dilute power. No life term senators. Presidents should be limited to one term. Judges should be confirmed by the people to keep their job every election cycle--no lifetime appointments. No quasi branches of government that have much power but are not elected such as the epa, atf, the fcc, homeland security, the cia, the fbi, etc

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    No elections. Draw lots from lists of folks on the property tax rolls.

For judges, ditto from members of the non-suspended bar for that county.

"Term" limits for managerial staff in administrative agencies, say five years and out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Two ideas:

1) Term limits, 3 for House, 2 for Senate.
    2) Return the choosing of Senators to the state legislatures.

As to Olympia Snowe, i heard the podcast. There is a basic logical flaw in her thinking. She assumes that a legislature that passes more legislation is a better one and a legislature that passes little legislation is unsuccessful.

Why would we assume that legislators who have diametrically opposed philosophies should work to gether to just get something done?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    As to Olympia Snowe, i heard the podcast. There is a basic logical flaw in her thinking. She assumes that a legislature that passes more legislation is a better one and a legislature that passes little legislation is unsuccessful.

Why would we assume that legislators who have diametrically opposed philosophies should work to gether to just get something done?

^^^QFT!!!^^^

I'm sick of seeing politicians cave in on their "principles" and their promises to their constituents just to get something done. One of the reasons I liked Ron Paul was that he voted "NO" on just about everything.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    more representation, less pay. we need more representatives of the people. Two senators per state is not enough--there should be one from every county. 100 or so senators is not enough representation for 300 million people. there should be multiple members from each county. this will dilute power. No life term senators. Presidents should be limited to one term. Judges should be confirmed by the people to keep their job every election cycle--no lifetime appointments. No quasi branches of government that have much power but are not elected such as the epa, atf, the fcc, homeland security, the cia, the fbi, etc

I agree with more representation; Canada has a govt of about the same size yet 1/10th the population. However, 2 senators (or 4 or 8) per state makes sense, not based on the number of counties. Equal representation for each state in the Senate. As for the House, based on population. Keep in mind that Texas has 254 counties, while Indiana has just 92.

Each state should pay for its own senators and reps, not the Fed govt. Citizens of each state set the pay and benefits for their politicians, not the pols themselves. If Texas wants to pay a senator $250K while Indiana pays just $75K, so be it.

The "quasi" branches ensure freedom from politics (for the most part). I trust the FCC, CIA, FBI to be relatively free of party influence. I'd go a bit farther in the case of the State Dept.; for Ambassadors, someone who speaks the language, knows the culture, and has worked their way up through the Dept over many years. We may not like the idea of a professional politician, but there are times when an *unprofessional* Ambassador has caused big problems.

As was once stated in Mad Magazine, "Diplomacy is to do and say the nastiest thing the nicest way!"

/What, me worry??

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Something I've thought about, but rarely heard anyone else consider:

I would like to pass a law that prevents any sitting politician from campaigning for office while in office.

Serve the term you were elected to serve...from beginning to end. When you leave office you are free to campaign for another term, if term limits allow, or for another office entirely.

If our politicians are spending their time trying to get elected, how much energy are they really spending on doing the jobs they were already elected to do?

Edit:

I also think that elected official pay should be directly tied to the average real income of their constituency. No one should be getting wealthy from public service, nor should they ever be allowed to vote themselves a raise...if they want more money, enact policies and provide governance that raises the real income of the people that elected them and their own pay will follow.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Something I've thought about, but rarely heard anyone else consider:

I would like to pass a law that prevents any sitting politician from campaigning for office while in office.

Serve the term you were elected to serve...from beginning to end. When you leave office you are free to campaign for another term, if term limits allow, or for another office entirely.

If our politicians are spending their time trying to get elected, how much energy are they really spending on doing the jobs they were already elected to do?

Sadly, with the two year election cycle, some representatives spend almost none

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom