• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    In the thread on manual safety, people have been talking about their anxiety dreams involving guns: guns with a 100-lb trigger; guns that just wouldn't shoot; hammers that wouldn't cock; bad guys who seem invulnerable to bullets. Let's have a separate thread and share our dreams about guns here!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I was overseas I used to constantly have a dream where the bullets were so slow you could see them and they would bounce off the bad guys. Then my M-16 would hopelessly jam and I would be overrun while trying to clear it. I would punch the attackers, but my motions were incredibly slow and had no affect, and then I would wake up as I was about to be killed.

It turns out these dreams are extremely common among deployed armed forces and other armed professionals. The advice I was given was when you wake up, re-imagine the scenario but with a positive ending. Your gun works like it should, you hit your attacker, the attack stops. Then go back to sleep. It becomes less rattling and even decreases the occurrence rate of such dreams. It worked for me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    +1, BlueI's. Apparently I've repped you too many times, so I've gotta do it here.

I've had similar dreams about being slow and ineffectual, though fortunately not that many.

I mentioned in the other thread that I dreamt I had to defend myself against two drug cartel guys, but there was something wrong with my 1911 pistol. (No, it wasn't the safety.) I tried to clear malfunction, but it didn't work. Since I was close, I dropped the gun, moved in, grappled, and quickly disarmed one of the bad guys successfully. Even in the dream I didn't expect to survive that, but somehow I did. I think I must have gotten these characters from those martial arts movies where they attack you one at a time, or the James Bond movies where they set up elaborate execution methods that never work. Anyway, with gun in hand, I got both of them center of mass. Then I called the cops.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Ive had them where someone breaks into my house. I am hunched down behind the brick planter in my living room. As I emerge from behind and fire on them its like "bullet time" in max payne. Everything slows down, and its like a perfect orchestra of bullets striking skulls, blood and brains splattering, bodies falling. Pretty demented sounding really when I try to explain it...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I used to have those nightmares where I could not hurt or stop the people who are hurting my people, I am thankful that I do not have them anymore.

I now occasionally have dreams where I am target shooting and am hitting EVERYTHING and I'm hitting the targets quick and naturally. I shoulder the rifle and it's right and the shot breaks, the target hit. I remember one where I was trick shooting with a pistol, pitching tennis balls overhanded down range, drawing and hitting them before they hit the ground. In those dreams I am full of glee. These dreams rank right up there with the dreams where I run in long bounding strides, never even winded and can jump over cars without effort.

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Usually my "violent" dreams involve me trying to fight while not being able to lift my arms to punch. Like they weigh 2 tons each.
    I actually had a dream a few days ago that I was at my mom's place and she was telling me about a guy from her past that had been bothering her and was threatening to harm her.
    He ended up breaking into her house and he had a gun. I drew my gun (which in the dream appeared to be a sig p226 or something like that, not sure as I don't actually own one) and told him to drop his.
    He raised his gun to me and although it felt like I was aiming down the sights my perception was almost from a third person point of view. The first shot missed and he shot me in the side (with a razor blade gun....).
    My second shot was headshot and he went down. No blood or gore that I remember. I just remember looking down at my side and seeing a giant double edged razor blade stuck in my skin.
    It got even weirder when I got to the hospital and after I was treated the doctor asked me why I shot his father. I woke up shortly after.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Okay. True story!
    I had a dream where I was in a fire fight with my HiPoint C9 (which I have since traded) and I ran out of ammo. Then it occurred to me, "Hey, I've got my HiPoint. I can use it as a club!" and I wacked the attacker upside the head to end the fight.

I guess I had been reading too many posts about these pistols being bulky and heavy. And by the way, my HP never did malfunction for me. I just traded up for a ccw weapon that was lighter weight.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Great idea bingley!

I also have dreams quite frequently where I try running as fast as I can, but am going in slow motion, but in real time. Like I'm trying to run underwater or something. It's so frustrating.

Another one I had was a Ruger Vaquero that wouldn't cock no matter how hard I tried pulling the hammer back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I used to have the slow dreams all the time as a kid. Mine were less impressive though... always trying to get away from something or someone, or trying to do something and it was like I was underwater.... If you have ever tried to run in waist deep water, thats the exact feeling.

Luckilly those dreams havent translated very often into gun related ones though. :dunno:

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I actually had my first last night. Shotgun had turned into a huge 100lb contraption, could barely lift it up. Weird stuff.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    "Tell us your cool gun dreams.", huh?

Well, Does my recurring dream about Claudia Schiffer and a Black and Decker belt sander ( that nearly results in an "AD") count?
    Okay,......... never mind. :):

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I've never had a positive dream with guns involved. Always been similar to behindbluei's dreams. Bullets so slow that they bounce off and guns that I've never had a malfunction in jamming every round. I hate having dreams involving guns cause they always end terribly.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I had one last night! My friends and I are supposed to defend a building in a wide-open field against some monster that will attack come nightfall. I can't find mags for my AR, and somehow my friends all have crappy guns -- pistol-grip shotguns and the like. I run around looking for mags and ammo, trying to get everybody ready.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Often have dreams of being in fistfight without being effective. Either the swings dont land or I cant muster a swing.

Have only had one dream where I drew my gun. In the dream wife and I were out to dinner, someone grabbed baby and took off running, tripped and dropped baby. I ran over, hand on gun and the abducter threw his arms out "what, you gonna shoot me?" and he reached over slowly and deliberately and picked up the baby again. I woke up at that point. I couldn't decide to draw and shoot or not. Kinda had me sweating a bit. It's happened twice now. And even in waking moments, as the images play out, I can't say it would be justified or not if I did find myself in that scenario. I think that's where the dream originated, the fear of being unjustified in a defensive shooting scenario.

The thing that makes me wonder about these dreams is that I've never lost a fistfight. Not that I've been in many, but I'd imagine if I frequented the losing half, I'd be more inclined to this type of subconscious thought.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Had one last night. My daughter and I were walking down a street when three guys surrounded a car with a mom and kids stopped at a red light. The three guys had handguns and were going for the car doors.

One of the hoods came out of an alley. He had a can on his pistol and I could tell he was the leader. He didn't see me and I got behind him as he went towards the car. I drew on him as he turned his back to me.

That's when the alarm went off.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    My gun dream is Obama abolishing the Massachusetts AWB by signing an executive order with his pen. He then uses his phone to order Sal's pizza for me.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    When I was overseas I used to constantly have a dream where the bullets were so slow you could see them and they would bounce off the bad guys. Then my M-16 would hopelessly jam and I would be overrun while trying to clear it. I would punch the attackers, but my motions were incredibly slow and had no affect, and then I would wake up as I was about to be killed.

It turns out these dreams are extremely common among deployed armed forces and other armed professionals. The advice I was given was when you wake up, re-imagine the scenario but with a positive ending. Your gun works like it should, you hit your attacker, the attack stops. Then go back to sleep. It becomes less rattling and even decreases the occurrence rate of such dreams. It worked for me.

I know they were that common, good to know! Mine is always a home intruder/faceless bad guy coming inside to do me harm, I pull a shotgun and fire it. The buckshot acts more like a BB gun, and just irritates the guy. He closes in on me and kills me with his bare hands. Then I wake up.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a reocurring dream of a member of one of the gangs i have had trouble with in real life (threats against my life and lives of friends and family) shooting me because i am unable to draw my gun because its stuck in the holster. i end up getting shot in the chest and then i wake up. i had surgery in the spot that i get shot so i imagine i have the dreams when that spot is hurting in my sleep. The good part of the dream is muscle memory stays wiyh me in my sleep since i wake up pulling on the waist of my pants where my gun would be.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I had one last night. I was at Kroger by the entrance/exit. My wife and I were about to leave when a very large man (must have been 6'5" and 280lbs) comes through the door in an angry rage making threats to me (directly at me, and only me). I'm standing behind the flower desk by the entrance and he starts climbing over it. That's when I draw my firearm as he extends his arm to grab my coat. I barely can pull the trigger (again with the extremely heavy trigger pull), but get a shot off right before he grabs my gun. The shot only hurts him (more like stuns him). I'm freaking out at this point because he is still coming after me, so I squeeze off the rest of the rounds in the mag, which took all my strength. Again the whole mag barely harms him. I'm turning around to run while reaching for my spare mag as he grabs my arm. Then I wake up.

I have dreams like these 2 or 3 nights a week it seems.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I have had a couple of different one over the last 20+ years. Sometimes more frequently than others. Both dreams involved a home invader in the night. One of the dreams when squeezing the trigger on my pistol the bullet just falls out of the barrel. The other dream involves running around the house trying to find the correct magazine for the pistol I have or trying to find a pistol to fit the magazine. In these dreams I've never found a match. Man can I ride wheelies on my bicycle in the others. Can go miles and miles around in circles and actually start and stop without the front wheel coming down. These are the only recurring dreams I've had...that can be talked about here... :)

Top Bottom