• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just to educate you. HOA's have elected representatives. Anyone can serve on the board. Rules are subject to a vote of residents. Our streets are county maintained and the laws are enforced by THE police. I get so tired of people who have never lived in an HOA trying to comment from a position of ignorance. Yes, slow speed limits and stop signs are designed for safety. Kids are the most vulnerable, but adults who walk/ run/ bicycle on the roads (no sidewalks) should be allowed to do so with reasonable safety as well. You seem very upset about something that doesn't affect you.
    You seem mighty anxious to convince people who don't live in HOAs that they are wonderful. Sounds cult-like

In your wonderful world of HOAs, can you recall an elected member for malfeasance or alter unpopular existing regulations by referendum? Because we can when do that when we live in freedom

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Don't really have a dog in this fight but I'm curious; a common refrain on INGO is "Follow the money". HOA's aren't there to prevent little pink houses, somebody has figured out how to make money on them. THAT's the attraction of HOA's. . . . the developer can keep making money for years on land he no longer owns.

I'll go back to ignoring the thread, just saw an opportunity to poor some gas on the fire. :rockwoot:
    Yes. the developer is the Maharishi and the HOA members are the cult members giving him Rollers for his birthday every year

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Don't really have a dog in this fight but I'm curious; a common refrain on INGO is "Follow the money". HOA's aren't there to prevent little pink houses, somebody has figured out how to make money on them. THAT's the attraction of HOA's. . . . the developer can keep making money for years on land he no longer owns.

I'll go back to ignoring the thread, just saw an opportunity to poor some gas on the fire. :rockwoot:
    Yes, go back to topics you have knowledge of. LOL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yes. the developer is the Maharishi and the HOA members are the cult members giving him Rollers for his birthday every year
    It is VERY easy to find HOA's that are still run by the developers that continue to manipulate the homeowners with undue demands. It's common for developers to maintain this control until a certain percentage of properties are sold at which time a local board and covenants are developed and controlled relinquished.

Honestly I expected more from some members of the community but it still seems that will argue for sammiches is still a thing.

This is just the first offering that google served up when I searched "developer controlled hoa's" HELL who knows? Without reading it it may sling mud in my face! :lmfao: https://kuester.com/what-does-having-a-developer-controlled-hoa-mean/

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It doesn't matter if I'm cool with someone's actions on their own property, as long as they are not physically interfering in someone's life. I don't think that is what you are understanding.

What if the HOA says you are not allowed to have a firearm in you home or vehicle? It is a big jump but really not.
    Id like to hear what the HOA supporters would think if they were told no guns in their subdivisions

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is VERY easy to find HOA's that are still run by the developers that continue to manipulate the homeowners with undue demands. It's common for developers to maintain this control until a certain percentage of properties are sold at which time a local board and covenants are developed and controlled relinquished.

Honestly I expected more from some members of the community but it still seems that will argue for sammiches is still a thing.

This is just the first offering that google served up when I searched "developer controlled hoa's" HELL who knows? Without reading it it may sling mud in my face! :lmfao: https://kuester.com/what-does-having-a-developer-controlled-hoa-mean/

You guys realize that the few internet articles you find and are all smug about come from literally millions of HOA’s around the country.

So you want to take the freedom of the developer. that owns the most lots in the subdivision, to be sure the idiots don’t make the place look like a dump?

There is a reason most people are very happy to have an HOA, they have a significant investment, too much to leave to the lowest common denominator next door.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There is a reason most people are very happy to have an HOA, they have a significant investment, too much to leave to the lowest common denominator next door.
    Happy? I think most people don't give a :poop: . They pick a house they like and if there is a HOA, they accept it because they like the house. Just as most people not living in a HOA aren't doing so because they do not like HOAs. Let's not pretend most people think about this stuff as much as some of us do.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Your ignorance is showing again. Our HOA, once formed, has never had a relationship with the developer. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to live in a HOA community. I'm just trying to inform people that they all aren't as bad as people who have never lived in one say they are. Sound familiar?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Since your the OP and seem to be the stongest proponent of HOA's I would hope that you would have a better answer
    So they are ok with following the rules they want to and ignoring the others. What if the rule included the ability of the HOA to go in your house and inspect for the firearms?
    Don’t join an HOA you do not agree with the rules of. Very simple. No one forces anyone to join an HOA.

Everybody has freedom. It is an Interesting juxtaposition that the defenders of HOA’s live in one and the biggest naysayers do not. If you stop and think it through, every time there is a big HOA dust up the media cover it, if HOA’s were as bad as you guys make them out to be Rafael Sanchez would be all over it..

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Don’t join an HOA you do not agree with the rules of. Very simple. No one forces anyone to join an HOA.

Everybody has freedom. It is an Interesting juxtaposition that the defenders of HOA’s live in one and the biggest naysayers do not. If you stop and think it through, every time there is a big HOA dust up the media cover it, if HOA’s were as bad as you guys make them out to be Rafael Sanchez would be all over it..
    So what if you bought into a HOA where guns were allowed and then they voted that they are now not allowed and they formed a committee to go house to house to make sure there are no firearms on the property? There are numerous stories about people living in a HOA for years and then having to make changes due to new rules.
    What if your wife had a pink car and they then outlawed pink cars?

The biggest naysayers value their rights and freedoms the supporters are more interested in living their lives the way others want them to and conforming

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'd been avoiding this thread for a few days (ok a week or so) for obvious reasons. A bunch of freedom loving folks with strong opinions discussing something that can be quite contentious.

I did skip ahead a bit so I don't know how many times the thread left the tracks/got in the ditch. I didn't see any food discussion. Staying on topic that long probably sets a record around here. Also means a lot of strong opinions.

No matter where you come down on the issue it's good we have INGO for the discussions. If not for INGO we'd have to argue with our families and the old dudes down at Hardees (I think my Dad isn't the oldest.)

I think hell might be freezing over this Fall. My wife has been the HOA VP for the last 4 years. I was on it 2012-2016, she was on it 2010-2012. That two year gap with neither of us on the board? Well, there's a reason one of us will always be on it.

Given the choice? You'd want Sheryl on the board. She's also the neighborhood FB Admin. I've told her many times I'd have banned half these people.

A distant 2nd choice would be me.

A lot of what you hear about HOAs comes out of Florida. Yes it is bad. I'd rather have Florida Man than a bunch of retirees. Hampton Roads area of Virginia was actually worse. Too many retired (spits on the ground) officers who need to spend more time on the golf course.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'd been avoiding this thread for a few days (ok a week or so) for obvious reasons. A bunch of freedom loving folks with strong opinions discussing something that can be quite contentious.

I did skip ahead a bit so I don't know how many times the thread left the tracks/got in the ditch. I didn't see any food discussion. Staying on topic that long probably sets a record around here. Also means a lot of strong opinions.

No matter where you come down on the issue it's good we have INGO for the discussions. If not for INGO we'd have to argue with our families and the old dudes down at Hardees (I think my Dad isn't the oldest.)

I think hell might be freezing over this Fall. My wife has been the HOA VP for the last 4 years. I was on it 2012-2016, she was on it 2010-2012. That two year gap with neither of us on the board? Well, there's a reason one of us will always be on it.

Given the choice? You'd want Sheryl on the board. She's also the neighborhood FB Admin. I've told her many times I'd have banned half these people.

A distant 2nd choice would be me.

A lot of what you hear about HOAs comes out of Florida. Yes it is bad. I'd rather have Florida Man than a bunch of retirees. Hampton Roads area of Virginia was actually worse. Too many retired (spits on the ground) officers who need to spend more time on the golf course.
    I can imagine that the Florida HOA’s could be bad, a bunch of retired folks with nothing to do. My mempry seems to align with the point that Florida is the epicenter as many stories come from there. Maybe we are working folks here in Indiana that are too busy for BS.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So what if you bought into a HOA where guns were allowed and then they voted that they are now not allowed and they formed a committee to go house to house to make sure there are no firearms on the property? There are numerous stories about people living in a HOA for years and then having to make changes due to new rules.
    What if your wife had a pink car and they then outlawed pink cars?

The biggest naysayers value their rights and freedoms the supporters are more interested in living their lives the way others want them to and conforming
    This topic keeps coming up and I feel that it stems from a misunderstanding of what a HOA is, most likely from people who do not and never will live under a HOA.

I don’t see this happening in 99% of HOA’s. The HOA regulates things that (supposedly) better the neighborhood. Things like parking boats or broke down cars in the driveway, colors of paint, grass that is mowed, etc. Some here believe that is an infringement of their property rights. Some don’t.

I’ve never seen a HOA regulate much of what goes on inside the home like interior paint, brand of appliances, or guns. And I think that any HOA that tries to enter your home to “inspect” for violations would quickly be told to pound sand and would be challenged.

All these “what ifs” get tiresome. Many are a stretch at best, but mostly come from an ignorant understanding of HOAs.

Personally, I live in a HOA. I’m not pro or con. It’s just where I find myself at this time, and I can live with most of the rules that they have placed. I keep quiet, mind my own business, and try not to draw attention. It works for me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Banning an activity in the house

Banning firearms in "common areas"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom