• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    What can you tell me about them? Are they good for short/medium/long range? How is the accuracy compared to other semi auto rifles? What would a basic model go for roughly? Pro's/Con's? Never really looked at them until today I was browsing the web and they kind of struck my chord.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    Down and dirty.
    5.45 is 'sorta' comparable to a 5.56- but less velocity.
    They used to be $350-400, but now you're looking at about $600+. There is less of an ammo variety compared to 7.62x39 or 5.56 choices.

They're a fun shooter, the recoil is minimal between the weight of the rifle/muzzle break/caliber. These were the thing to have with dirt cheap ammo and (surprising!) decent quality Bulgarian AK74 builds from Century. I'm afraid those days are at a close.

My wife likes her 74, I'll stick to my 7.62x39 variants (they'll do things the 5.56 necessarily won't do). If I was going to buy a lighter weight carbine right now, I'd probably get another 5.56, since I don't see the AK 74's advantages that I used to.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Its the Soviets solution to the 556. Better range and accuracy than the 47, and the bullet tumbles when it hits meat. Surplus ammo is cheap and corrosive, so you want something with a chrome lined barrel, and plan on cleaning the gun after you take it out. Magazine prices have recently climbed in price, and not many aftermarket options out there. I would strongly recommended buying an Arsenal.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Is a VEPR a good rifle? I know nothing about the Russian stuff but saw them in 5.45x39 and the look like a nice rifle but don't know.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    It would help if you specified why you are interested in a 5.45 rifle. Is it the caliber/ammo prices? Are you looking for an AK and this caliber appeals/etc?

VEPRs are fine, but a finished product will get up in price. If you give some info in response to this question, it'll be more helpful.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    It would help if you specified why you are interested in a 5.45 rifle. Is it the caliber/ammo prices? Are you looking for an AK and this caliber appeals/etc?

VEPRs are fine, but a finished product will get up in price. If you give some info in response to this question, it'll be more helpful.

Yes ammo price is a big plus since since surplus ammo is so cheap and new production is cheap too. I have been wanting an ak for a while and the caliber is appealing. What do you mean a finished product?

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    The VEPR comes into the country in a hunting rifle configuration, so to get it to more of an AK look/feel, it would take some extra cash.

As far as cheap ammo, if you compared commercial 5.45/5.56/7.62x39 across one brand (apples to apples, something like Wolf) there is a minimal price difference. Here's the problem with getting dependent on 5.45 surplus. Count the number of countries that use 5.56, then count 7.62x39, then count 5.45 (one?) With a smaller pool of surplus ammo, the chance of price fluctuations and ammo scarcity becomes a bigger concern. Plus the 7n6 that is the popular surplus ammo is corrosive, which means added cleaning time and care. I hate the idea of buying an expensive rifle so I can shoot cheaper ammo that could deteriorate it-negating the savings.

I'm not trying to just poo-poo your thoughts, I've gone down this path and stuck with 7.62 AKs and 5.56 ARs. My wife loves her AK 74, but she doesn't expend ammo like I do.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    They've got a unique report, bark, sound or whatever you want to call it.
    Wish there was a video comparing the sound of an AK to another rifle.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The VEPR comes into the country in a hunting rifle configuration, so to get it to more of an AK look/feel, it would take some extra cash.

As far as cheap ammo, if you compared commercial 5.45/5.56/7.62x39 across one brand (apples to apples, something like Wolf) there is a minimal price difference. Here's the problem with getting dependent on 5.45 surplus. Count the number of countries that use 5.56, then count 7.62x39, then count 5.45 (one?) With a smaller pool of surplus ammo, the chance of price fluctuations and ammo scarcity becomes a bigger concern. Plus the 7n6 that is the popular surplus ammo is corrosive, which means added cleaning time and care. I hate the idea of buying an expensive rifle so I can shoot cheaper ammo that could deteriorate it-negating the savings.

I'm not trying to just poo-poo your thoughts, I've gone down this path and stuck with 7.62 AKs and 5.56 ARs. My wife loves her AK 74, but she doesn't expend ammo like I do.

I know Russian and Bulgarian ammo has came into the country, but I'm not sure of others. Good point in regards to the commercial being the same price as the 47 though. Personally, I find it a much more capable round than the 47. Google "poison bullet", and read what the Afghani's thought of it when they fought the Russians in the 80's.

Here is the test fire group from my rifle from Arsenal:
    IMAG0458.jpg

I've got several 47's, and nothing comes close to it in regards to accuracy. With Golden Bear or comparable ammo, it's nearly as accurate as my AR's.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

What do you mean by it being more of a hunting rifle configuration and taking extra cash to make it more AK like? I really like the look of the VEPR but I also like the look of the AK too. Is there something different functionality wise different I am missing? This is gonna be my first semi auto rifle other than a .22LR. I originally had though I wanted to build an AR but I really like the Russian Rifles and with the cost difference in an AR and AK financially it just makes moire sense for me to go that route right now since ammo for 5.56 being about twice the cost of the 7.62 or 5.45 from what I find, but, I have always heard that AK's are not the most accurate rifles compared to AR's. I can only go on what I read at this point. This is the reason I have somewhat shied away from the 7.62 AK and looked at the 5.45 thinking maybe it is a better more modern round. Is any of that right/wrong? Am I correct that the 5.45 is a more modern, more accurate round?

I completely understand the corrosive ammo and not getting dependent on "cheap surplus ammo" but as long as you clean it good after shooting it's okay to shoot yes? After all I thought that was kind of the AK trademark that it could be put through anything and still function just fine? Any other advantages of one or the other I should consider? Thanks for all the help so far.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I know Russian and Bulgarian ammo has came into the country, but I'm not sure of others. Good point in regards to the commercial being the same price as the 47 though. Personally, I find it a much more capable round than the 47. Google "poison bullet", and read what the Afghani's thought of it when they fought the Russians in the 80's.

Here is the test fire group from my rifle from Arsenal:

I've got several 47's, and nothing comes close to it in regards to accuracy. With Golden Bear or comparable ammo, it's nearly as accurate as my AR's.

Are you referring to the 5.45 as being a more accurate round than 7.62? That was one thing that originally drew me to it also was it being a more modern and accurate round from what I had read.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    What he means by "hunting configuration" is it doesn't have the "evil black rifle" features that would keep it from entering the US. In order to put a standard handguard, your going to need to replace the gas tube with one that has a handguard retainer. For the lower handguard, you'll either need a bolt on retainer or take the gas block off for a standard. The rear of the receiver is cut at an angle, so a standard stock will not fit. Your best bet would be to get something from Ironwood designs. The barrel is not threaded for a flash hider, so you would either need to cut the threads yourself, or buy a AK74 style front site / 24mm thread adapter like Dinzag sells.

The good news is if you like the way the rifle looks, you don't have to do anything. The wood on the VEPR's is very nice and comfortable. They tend to have heavier barrels and receivers than many AK's out there, and are pretty damn accurate.

As far as the 545 round goes, yes, it is much more accurate. It also has less felt recoil, which will help improve your shooting.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    What he means by "hunting configuration" is it doesn't have the "evil black rifle" features that would keep it from entering the US. In order to put a standard handguard, your going to need to replace the gas tube with one that has a handguard retainer. For the lower handguard, you'll either need a bolt on retainer or take the gas block off for a standard. The rear of the receiver is cut at an angle, so a standard stock will not fit. Your best bet would be to get something from Ironwood designs. The barrel is not threaded for a flash hider, so you would either need to cut the threads yourself, or buy a AK74 style front site / 24mm thread adapter like Dinzag sells.

The good news is if you like the way the rifle looks, you don't have to do anything. The wood on the VEPR's is very nice and comfortable. They tend to have heavier barrels and receivers than many AK's out there, and are pretty damn accurate.

As far as the 545 round goes, yes, it is much more accurate. It also has less felt recoil, which will help improve your shooting.

Okay great, I really do like the look of the VEPR. I like the AK look too but If I bought the VEPR I would not change it to look like the AK I'd just buy a second one when I got the money to do so. :D One thing I noticed was that the VEPR only comes with a 10 round mag. Do they have high cap mags available for them too? Will they take a 5.45 AK mag or are those different as well? Thanks again for all the info.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Top Bottom