12   0   0
    <H1 class=fontStyle51>FYI</H1><H1 class=fontStyle51>Teen hospitalized after
    gun accident</H1>Two 13-year-olds were playing with
    loaded gun

Updated: Saturday, 29 Aug 2009, 10:41 PM EDT
    Published : Saturday, 29 Aug 2009, 10:41 PM EDT
    • Gene Rodriguez
    • Edited by Jackie Carpenter
    INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The city’s latest shooting involves children; teens who police say were home alone with a loaded gun.
    Children were seen riding their bikes and walking the sidewalks, dozens of them talking and playing together. But Saturday afternoon a game of gunplay at a home on the city's southwest side landed one child in a hospital emergency room.
    It appears to be a child friendly neighborhood. Evidence of children is everywhere. But instead of playing, boys were sitting in the patrol cars Saturday being questioned about what happened in the 5800 block of Coppock Drive.
    “Clearly 13-year olds and firearms don’t mix," IMPD Capt. Craig Fishburn said.
    Police say at least two 13-year old boys were playing drums inside this house when one of them found a loaded handgun.
    “I understand it was in a gun case I don’t know if it was locked," said Capt. Fishburn.
    Police say the 13-year-old handling the gun fired it hitting another 13-year-old boy in the lower stomach area.
    “At this time it appears to be an accidental shooting involving a number of 13 year olds who were in the home," Capt. Fishburn explained.
    There were no adults in the home at the time.
    Police said the homeowner learned what happened in a phone call and returned to his home immediately. Clearly distraugt, police said the homeowner learned a lesson that officers hope other parents also learn:
    “Please make sure that all firearms are secured that these youngsters don’t have access to these guns," Capt. Fishburn said.
    Investigators said the injured 13-year-old is not facing life threatening injuries and should fully recover.
    Right now, no one is facing criminal charges. Detectives are still investigating. Once the investigation is complete detectives will turn the case over to prosecutors for review. The prosecutor will determine whether to file criminal charges.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Sad story. I hope the boy heals completely and quickly. Too bad neither had any training.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thank God that ended as "well" as it did. There's nothing good about being shot, but at least it looks like the young one will survive the incident.

Sounds to me like the young ones AND the parents needed a little more safety training/focus.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    When I was in third grade I lost a close friend to an accidental shooting. He was over at a friends house when his friend found his dad's hand gun, didnt think it was loaded, pointed it playfully at my friend and pulled the trigger. My friend died from a bullet wound to the heart. His friend had a breakdown and had to move far away. Gun safety needs to be taught at the earliest age possible.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    “Clearly 13-year olds and firearms don’t mix," IMPD Capt. Craig Fishburn said.

Clearly, this Captain has had vast experience in catchy media phrases and painfully obvious cliques. As the spokesperson for th department, he explains extremely complicated policies to ignorant reporters.
    For more examples of his pithy remarks see: "Drinking and driving don't mix, or Speed Kills, or The officer's weapon went off by itself.....:rolleyes:

Great job Capt.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This kind of story is what leads legislatures inappropriately and incorrectly toward such stupidity as California-style mandates regarding when, how, and from whom firearms must be secured. Laws such as this also disarm responsible, well-trained young people who could have used the available firearm in the event of a home invasion.
    The gun-grabbers cry, "But there are so few such situations!", to which I say, "Tell me that when it happens at your home and your daughter is raped and then killed."
    "But so few children can be called "responsible and well-trained"!"
    "Exactly. So let's get more of them trained and give them the understanding that responsible behavior is expected of them... and the absence of that behavior or presence of it's opposite will lead to unpleasant consequences."

Am I evil to say that it's fun to watch them vapor-lock and start calling names at that point?

Blessings,
    Bill

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    This kind of story is what leads legislatures inappropriately and incorrectly toward such stupidity as California-style mandates regarding when, how, and from whom firearms must be secured. Laws such as this also disarm responsible, well-trained young people who could have used the available firearm in the event of a home invasion.
    The gun-grabbers cry, "But there are so few such situations!", to which I say, "Tell me that when it happens at your home and your daughter is raped and then killed."
    "Exactly. So let's get more of them trained and give them the understanding that responsible behavior is expected of them... and the absence of that behavior or presence of it's opposite will lead to unpleasant consequences."

Am I evil to say that it's fun to watch them vapor-lock and start calling names at that point?

Blessings,
    Bill

Ditto....:rockwoot:

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle

Blessings,
    Bill

Surely you don't mean "GASP" we should teach young people firearm safety.

Bill - I know that you would never say such a thing!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When I was young two of my friends where at one of their houses. The one kids dad had a loaded revolver, unlocked in his bedroom. The one shot the other in the head. He died shortly after. Things like that are the fault of the idiotic parents, who should get life in prison. It's situations like that, that give guns a bad name. Not all gun owning citizens are idiots, but as always you have those select few, that screw things up for everyone. Because of there ignorance tragic things happen. I think you do need to take an idiot test before owning a gun.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Surely you don't mean "GASP" we should teach young people firearm safety.

Bill - I know that you would never say such a thing!

You're right, I would never say such a thing.

I would say that their parents should either provide such training or that the parents should find people who can do so. Maybe at Cloverdale, two weeks from yesterday, or perhaps two weeks after that. It's rumored that there will be people there who can do the job and will do so not only happily but free of charge.

It is further rumored that these people know very well what they are about. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I would like for this IMPD officer to come to a shoot with the Johnson County 4H Shooting Sports program. I would show him a hugh differance in young people who are instructed in the proper handling of firearms and those who have no instruction.
    I know everyone of these young people and none of them have ever shot themselves or anyone else, but I know of 3 police officers personally that have "accidental" inflicted injuries because of careless handling!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I was young two of my friends where at one of their houses. The one kids dad had a loaded revolver, unlocked in his bedroom. The one shot the other in the head. He died shortly after. Things like that are the fault of the idiotic parents, who should get life in prison. It's situations like that, that give guns a bad name. Not all gun owning citizens are idiots, but as always you have those select few, that screw things up for everyone. Because of there ignorance tragic things happen. I think you do need to take an idiot test before owning a gun.

With all due respect, no, these things are not the fault of the idiotic parents, at least not entirely so. The parents should have trained their children, yes, or made arrangements for this to happen. They made a mistake (a BIG one, to be sure) in thinking either, "They'll never find it in here.", "they won't be interested in it if they do find it.", or "well, I told 'em to stay out of my room, and if they aren't in the room, they can't get the gun."
    There must, just as the Four Rules provide, be at least two layers of protection. Not only must the gun be "kid-proof", but the kid must be "gun-proof", which is to say that they need to be so well-trained that the gun holds no mystery for them, and they understand, just as they do about kitchen knives, that these are not toys and their use bespeaks a clear intention-you don't pick up a kitchen/butcher knife just to show it to someone, in most cases.

Further, I understand what you mean about the "idiot test", but I have to ask you who is going to administer this test? You? Me? Barry Hussein Obama? We've all done some idiotic things in our lives... No, I think that we're far better with the freedom to purchase what we wish, when we wish, at least as much of that as we have left, than we would be with such a test.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." -Thomas Jefferson

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would like for this IMPD officer to come to a shoot with the Johnson County 4H Shooting Sports program. I would show him a hugh differance in young people who are instructed in the proper handling of firearms and those who have no instruction.
    I know everyone of these young people and none of them have ever shot themselves or anyone else, but I know of 3 police officers personally that have "accidental" inflicted injuries because of careless handling!

I am quite certain that he would be easy to locate if you wish to extend this invitation to him. We have several IMPD officers right here on INGO who could provide you his email address, or you could just write a letter to IMPD, to his attention.

Good thought, and you're getting a rep for it.

Blessings,
    Bill

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Thanks Bill of Rights! appreciate the rep, Iam extremely proud of the youth members of our club, we had 120 sign up this past year and at the end of the season most of them and their parents were real happy and said that they would be back next spring!
    I am a true believer in teaching the youth the correct methods and safe handling and you will see these accidents decrease. Of course this takes concerned and caring adults to become certified Instructors to work with these youth, you guys want to truly help teach safety and firearm handling go to your local 4H extension office and ask them for a application for ROSS Camp in Lafayette where you can become a certified instructor and work with your local 4H Shooting Sports Program. If they dont have one then lets start one!

Top Bottom