• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Can someone explain something to me?

All day today, I've been trying to watch a video that was emailed to me. The video works, sound doesn't! I even went directly to YouTube!
    I know my speakers are hooked up because if I open a video or music file on my pc, it works just fine. It's not something stupid like the video being muted. What is going on? Somethings gotta give!

Any advice would be helpful! :dunno:

TIA
    RM

I feel like that cartoon someone here has as their avatar. The one where the little stick figure gets pissed at the computer and just keeps hitting it over and over and there is blood everywhere. Yeah......

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    It's doing it on EVERYTHING online though. I mean everything. My videos that I uploaded on myspace...that wedding video posted here in the break room, EVERYTHING! I seriously hate computers.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    20060825-Flaming-computer.jpg

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    :dunno:
    What does this have to do with my question???
    Nuke it? :D <dunno>

Which browser is important (different versions of flash player), but other information may be useful.
    1: Which OS?
    2: Integrated sound or PCI card?
    3: Generic drivers or vendor drivers?
    4: What speaker configuration?

I know you said it wasn't muted, but was that in program (flash element), main volume control, wave out, program level (browser in the mixer)? <speakers/main volume up, system, wav or browser volume down>
    Do you have a non-standard speaker configuration? <redirecting to speakers that aren't connected>
    Check sounds under control panel. If you have current drivers or a recent operating system it is likely you can observe where the sound is going <if any>

My first thought was the mixer in vista/win7. check the mixer while a video is running (browser won't appear unless an element with sound output is playing).
    If it was wav down, main up (xp/2k) then you'd have no output across the board, not just flash elements.
    Occam says volume in the mixer or output errors. If not you can try reinstalling latest version of flash player

Without more information I'm just fishing~

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Nuke it? :D <dunno>

Which browser is important (different versions of flash player), but other information may be useful.
    1: Which OS?
    2: Integrated sound or PCI card?
    3: Generic drivers or vendor drivers?
    4: What speaker configuration?

I know you said it wasn't muted, but was that in program (flash element), main volume control, wave out, program level (browser in the mixer)? <speakers/main volume up, system, wav or browser volume down>
    Do you have a non-standard speaker configuration? <redirecting to speakers that aren't connected>
    Check sounds under control panel. If you have current drivers or a recent operating system it is likely you can observe where the sound is going <if any>

My first thought was the mixer in vista/win7. check the mixer while a video is running (browser won't appear unless an element with sound output is playing).
    If it was wav down, main up (xp/2k) then you'd have no output across the board, not just flash elements.
    Occam says volume in the mixer or output errors. If not you can try reinstalling latest version of flash player

Without more information I'm just fishing~

First and foremost...THANK YOU for your reply.

Secondly, I have no clue what you just said! :):

But seriously...Thank you.
    I think I will wait for my husband to get home and fix it. If I try anymore, I think I am going to throw this darn thing out the window! :):

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky

All day today, I've been trying to watch a video that was emailed to me. The video works, sound doesn't! I even went directly to YouTube!
    I know my speakers are hooked up because if I open a video or music file on my pc, it works just fine. It's not something stupid like the video being muted. What is going on? Somethings gotta give!

TIA
    RM

I feel like that cartoon someone here has as their avatar. The one where the little stick figure gets pissed at the computer and just keeps hitting it over and over and there is blood everywhere. Yeah......

If you are not sure to fix it its best not to mess with it. you could end up making things worse.

But here are some simple things that my clear it up.

you said you could still play music that is on the computer. So it may be the program.

1. Close out all of the programs you are running Then, Reopen your internet and try again.

2. If that does not work. Close all of your programs and Restart your computer. (go to the start bar at the bottom of the screen/ Click Start/ and Click "turn off computer"/ walk away for a few minutes to let everything stop spinning and cool off/ Then turn it on again./ let it fully load/ then open the internet again and try the video)

If it still won't work after all that go ahead and wait for your husband to get home

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    If you are not sure to fix it its best not to mess with it. you could end up making things worse.

But here are some simple things that my clear it up.

you said you could still play music that is on the computer. So it may be the program.

1. Close out all of the programs you are running Then, Reopen your internet and try again.

2. If that does not work. Close all of your programs and Restart your computer. (go to the start bar at the bottom of the screen/ Click Start/ and Click "turn off computer"/ walk away for a few minutes to let everything stop spinning and cool off/ Then turn it on again./ let it fully load/ then open the internet again and try the video)

If it still won't work after all that go ahead and wait for your husband to get home

I haven't reallly *tried*. I just made sure speakers were plugged in and mute wasn't activated. lol.

I am restarting now. thanks:rockwoot:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    There are two places the computer can be muted, on the main volume control, and at the video player. When playing the video look at the bottom of the picture screen. Put your mouse over the speaker. The volume slide should apear. If it is all the way down the video will be muted, but you will still be able to listen to CDs, etc. Good Luck.

P.S. If the speaker is red on the video, it is off. Just click it and it will come back.

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Yep, after the restart, I've come to the conclusion that tecnology still hates me.

I looked to see if the video was muted and it wasn't it was turned all the way up.

Ugh...I give up. Thanks for the replies though!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Rachel on my comp if I click on the speaker icon, it pops up and shows the slider and mixer on the bottom. If I click on mixer a pop up shows up with three different sliders, one for speakers, window sounds, and internet. The internet one might be muted.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

TIA
    RM

Was it a youtube video? Send us a link. Sounds like the audio was stripped, as stated above.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    My husband figure it out. Tried explaining it to me...something about control panel, and then it started sound like Charlie Browns teacher....Blah, Blah, blah.

Thanks though to all that replied.
    I DO think that Technology has it out for me.

Top Bottom