• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i am thinking about getting an air compressor to do some front end work on my car, but i know nothing at all about them or what i would need for my needs. i will be doing some steering and suspension work and i want to make it easier. i will be doing ball joints, idler arms, tie rods and links, afterwards it will mostly be used for stuff at home. where do i begin? how much would it cost for the tools i need? i am not trying to get something top of the line as this will not see any hard use.

60 gallon? 220 volt? how much hp?

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I am one that goes for over kill and return on my investment. That being said 60 gallon is good size. Don't waste your time with an oil less compressor they are to loud and have diminished output with every use. Cast iron cylinders are a plus almost a must have(at least for me). 5 hp minimum for a 60 gallon and upon installation you need one of these
    Automatic Electronic Air Compressor Tank Drain Valve | eBay

Good luck

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Re-read you post after I posted so I should clarify what I was say and give a little more input.
    Rural King has some really good deals on 220/5hp compressors
    Harbor Freight has decent air tools(as long as you oil them before and after use one-two drops all it takes)
    Even thou harbor freight sells cut-off wheel,grinding wheels and so on go to your local welding supply shops to get these thing you will pay more but buy way less of them because of the quality.
    Buy quality impact sockets(snap-on, matco or craftsmen) there is nothing like grinding off rounded bolt heads under a car :rolleyes: don't ask me how I know.
    Hope this helps to get you started

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    The truth is in the CFM(cubic feet per minute), or the air consumption of the tools you wish to use. Take the tool with the greatest CFM and get a compressor that is just bigger than that.

I firmly belief that the tank size doesn't matter a whole lot as log as your compressor is capable of creating the air as fast as you use it.

I have a 5gal twin tank capable of over 5CFM and it runs all of my tools just fine. Plus I don't have the storage space for a larger one.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    It get the condensation out of the tank before it can start to cause rust. It is programmable so you don't have to remember to drain it once a week. Easier to install on intial set up

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    this is not something i will use on a regular basis, just once in a while, so it will see no hard use. from what i have seen impact wrenches and ratchets use about 6 CFM @ 90 PSI. this compressor puts out 5.9 CFM @ 90 PSI and is withing my budget. i am only looking to spend $500 for the compressor. 2 Horsepower, 29 gal., 150 Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

i also found this but it seems a little less powerful and more expensive. Shop Kobalt 1.6-HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you're only doing one car, why not save your money and use hand tools? I have done a lot of car work over the years and though I have a small compressor, I always have used hand tools for wrenching.

But then again, if you are using this work for justification to buy a compressor, than get the nicest one you can afford!:)

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    this is not something i will use on a regular basis, just once in a while, so it will see no hard use. from what i have seen impact wrenches and ratchets use about 6 CFM @ 90 PSI. this compressor puts out 5.9 CFM @ 90 PSI and is withing my budget. i am only looking to spend $500 for the compressor. 2 Horsepower, 29 gal., 150 Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

i also found this but it seems a little less powerful and more expensive. Shop Kobalt 1.6-HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

If it won't see hard use, then by all means go for the HF one. 5.9 CFM will be fine for a 6 CFM air ratchet. Just let the tank fill all the way up prior to use.

Have you tried Tractor Supply? They can have some pretty good deals on these.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    If you're only doing one car, why not save your money and use hand tools? I have done a lot of car work over the years and though I have a small compressor, I always have used hand tools for wrenching.

But then again, if you are using this work for justification to buy a compressor, than get the nicest one you can afford!:)

yeah i thought about that but i kind of just want an air compressor

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    If it won't see hard use, then by all means go for the HF one. 5.9 CFM will be fine for a 6 CFM air ratchet. Just let the tank fill all the way up prior to use.

Have you tried Tractor Supply? They can have some pretty good deals on these.

i have never even heard of tractor supply.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Not sure if there are any by you, as I don't get to NWI much. But you can check them out at tractorsupply.com and find one. Just a thought, they might not even have current deals.

Wdsman11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Also check the duty cycle of the compressor. I have a 60gallon which has a 50% duty cycle. Which means that for the amount of time that it is compressing 50%, It needs to spend 50% at rest(cooling I assume).

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Also check the duty cycle of the compressor. I have a 60gallon which has a 50% duty cycle. Which means that for the amount of time that it is compressing 50%, It needs to spend 50% at rest(cooling I assume).

This is typically only an issue for heavy use compressors. If you are using it in your garage for some auto repairs, and No one else is tapping into the air supply then the air compressor will most likely get the rest it requires.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I too have been looking for one. Sears had some deals online. There is a 33 gallon one that doesn't look bad.
    i have never even heard of tractor supply.
    [STRIKE]There is one in Bourbonnais on the wrong side of the border I think.[/STRIKE]
    I was thinking of Farm and Fleet

Last edited:

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009

Thats what you run into with oil-less and over time you will lose cfm faster than with an oil lubricated as the machine wears in the end they end up being just noise makers.

45calibre
    both those compressors should fit your needs pretty well. You should also look at installing one of these
    New Air Filter Regulator Moisture Trap Compressor Air | eBay

Even if the compressor has a pressure regulator on it you need the filter part. Once you get your compressor you will find many uses for it. After I wash my Harley's I like to blow dry the hard to get spots and the air filter/moisture trap will stop 99% of the oil slatter you get from an oil lube compressor. Also always break nuts and bolts lose with hand tools then let the air tools do the long work. Again don't ask how I know this it is a very touchy subject:rolleyes:. Good luck in your seach and make sure you tell us what you bought

Top Bottom