• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of ammo do you shoot or perfer in your Judge?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    I'm curious what caliber of ammo people that shoot their judge choose.

410 cal (cheaper) - cost reason
    410 cal (shot variety) - shotgun style shot loads with multiple pellets
    410 cal (cheaper & shot variety) - cost and variety
    45 LC (consistent & accurate) - cost isn't an issue but having an accurate and consistent shot group is

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I'm curious what caliber of ammo people that shoot their judge choose.

410 cal (cheaper) - cost reason
    410 cal (shot variety) - shotgun style shot loads with multiple pellets
    410 cal (cheaper & shot variety) - cost and variety
    45 LC (consistent & accurate) - cost isn't an issue but having an accurate and consistent shot group is

All of the above ... depends on what i am shooting it for at the time ..
    If i am letting somone unfamiler with the judge shoot i let them shoot the cheap stuff through it .
    Have some better stuff for practice shooting ( in both .410 and .45 LC)

If i am carrying Like on my ATV in the woods with the 6 1/2 inch judge
    Or in my truck with the 3 inch .
    I do whats called progressive load..

Maybe like a #6 shot first shot
    federal 000 buck next 2 shots
    hollow point .45 LC last 2 shots :patriot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For personal defense,
    Paraklese Technologies - .45 Long Colt
    185gr Jacketed Hollow Point
    For "varmints" .410 "0000" Buck- .375" balls 75gr@ 3-balls/round (also Paraklese)
    or Federal Premium Handgun Buck shot .410 copper coated 4-pellet

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    All of the above ... depends on what i am shooting it for at the time ..
    If i am letting somone unfamiler with the judge shoot i let them shoot the cheap stuff through it .
    Have some better stuff for practice shooting ( in both .410 and .45 LC)

If i am carrying Like on my ATV in the woods with the 6 1/2 inch judge
    Or in my truck with the 3 inch .
    I do whats called progressive load..

Maybe like a #6 shot first shot
    federal 000 buck next 2 shots
    hollow point .45 LC last 2 shots :patriot:

Makes sense to have the variety loaded into your cylinder. The nice thing about guns with various calibers is that depending on your function or use you can carry what you feel necessary to do the job.

This information is very helpful. I'm really curious about multi caliber revolvers and what shooters typically shoot through them and why. I have a couple guns like this but to have the option between a typical bullet and shotgun version is quite unique.

Thank you for your informative reply!!!

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    def .410 shot of various sizes and loads, if i wanted to shoot a .45 lc seems like there would be another gun that prolly has way better capacity, although the option too, is more than enough reason too. lots of guns shoot 45lc not alot of handguns shoot any shotgun ammo. :twocents:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

That article may have been relevant at the time it was written, but much of what is in it is dated/untrue now. The author definitely had his mind made up before he even started his "objective" test. "For some reason that escapes me, some folks seem to be determined to want to use the .410 shotgun shell as a personal defense weapon "
    His next statement definitely doesn't hold true anymore. "First, let's talk about shotgun loads. Unless you have shopped for .410 shotgun shells, you may be unaware of just how hard it is to find exactly what you want. I wanted an example of a slug, some buckshot, and some birdshot. It took a lot of looking at several big stores to find what I needed. This may be a problem for those that want to use this gun for anything other than birdshot."
    Then there's this.
    "I looked all over the county, and the only .410 buckshot I could find was 3 inch. The Judge will only fire 2 1/2 inch shells, so I had to cut the 3 inch shells down to 2 1/2 inches."

The Judge is now available in 3" chamber, and 2 3/4" ammo abounds. No need to take a hacksaw to 3" shells for the highly scientific test. There is also new ammo available from Federal, Winchester, and custom rounds from places like Paraklese. The Judge is a "point blank" defensive weapon. My wife has one in her vehicle, first 2 rounds #4 s, next 3 are 225 win silvertips. I know it's not a 50bmg, the only acceptable manstopper to some folks, but I'm pretty sure that 2 to the face and 3 to the chest will get the job done.
    By the way, don't take it that my mini rant was aimed at you. It's the author of the link that I think was biased an unfair in his assertions. I see this link posted in just about every thread that discusses the Judge, and I just don't think it was a very objective/scientific test. The guy has put out some fantastic info, before and since this test. He's even been asked in other forums to repeat the test with some of the new ammo, or the 3' Judge. IIRC, his response was, "I'm done with that". :dunno: Oh well.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Judge Ammo Choice

I use two different types of ammo that I put through my judge public defender. I alternate rounds. My first choice and my primary load is the new Winchester PDX1 round. It is absolutely great in this gun. I shot a watermelon the other day from about 8 ft away and it totally destroyed it. Im pretty sure they designed this round for the judge. For the .45 long colt rounds, you cant go wrong with the Hornady 225 gr FTX LEVERevolution bullet. I load mine so the first couple shots are the PDX1's and then I load 2 long colts and then a final shot of PDX1. I think this gun will be a perfect "car" gun.

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    i have my judge loaded with 3- 3inch 000 buck and 2 win. silvertip 45 long colt

Top Bottom