• ...and so much more!
  • codyleaderbrand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hello all,

I'm seeking some advice regarding the above mentioned gun. I am interested in purchasing this gun from a friend of a friend for $600. I tried on the gun earlier today and I put about 50 rounds through it. I ran across the few issues that worry me. I had some issues with the barrel rotating after firing, almost as if it would lock up. I'm new to purchasing and shooting guns so if this can be remedied just by proper cleaning or re-assembling then I can do that. I'm seeking some general advice all around so any comments are appreciated.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    The barrel should not be rotating. Walk, no RUN, from that deal. For not much more money, you can get a brand new S&W or Ruger 44 mag. Don't buy somebody else's problem.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Just checked Gunbroker, you can buy a Taurus Tracker 44mag for $525 BRAND NEW! Even their up-spec Raging Bull 44mag is $629, once again BRAND NEW....

Are you sure this person is your friend???? Wait a minute, "friend of a friend" that means friend once removed..... :shady:

codyleaderbrand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hah, I meant the chamber wasn't rotating after firing. Specifically its a .44 Taurus Revolver 6.5 barrel. I figured he was shooting high with $600 and intended on offering him lower than that. With these new concerns should I offer him significantly lower or should I just avoid this deal altogether?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If the cylinder isn't rotating, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the gun. If you do end up buying it, you most likely will end up having to send it in to Taurus for proper repair. This could take up to 8 weeks, and IMO, isn't worth it since better made guns can be had new for your $600

codyleaderbrand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the quick replies all. I'll likely take your advice wolf and offer him $300. Like I said, the gun fires, but the cylinder locks up at least once every 6 shots. Plus, while I know Taurus do lifetime repair, I'm not sure how far that actually goes. Unfortunately I lack a lot of experience in this area.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    The Taurus Warranty is for "the lifetime of the gun, not the buyer." Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I guess if you could snag if for $300 and are cool with sending it into Taurus and not having it for a couple months, that wouldn't be a bad deal. Keep in mind, Taurus warranty repairs are notorious for cutting corners. That means at some point, it will probably go back to Taurus again.

Wolfman said he wouldn't pay more than $300, that means you should offer him $250 to give yourself negotiating room...

Good luck bro :draw:

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I had a Taurus 44 magnum and a Taurus 38 that did the same thing; both were ultralites. There's probably not enough clearance for the bullets rim. I tried different ammo on the 44 and it ran okay, but why would you want to purchase a handgun that wasn't manufactured correctly? Taurus will fix the problem if you want to go through all of that.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    if "dude" wants $600 for it lol
    then an offer of $300 will just **** him off.
    walk away...

Tyer has a good point here... Even thought the seller is way out of line considering the gun doesn't function properly and that is the going price for a brand new Taurus Raging Bull, which is their best offering in 44mag.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I had a Taurus 44 magnum and a Taurus 38 that did the same thing; both were ultralites. There's probably not enough clearance for the bullets rim. I tried different ammo on the 44 and it ran okay, but why would you want to purchase a handgun that wasn't manufactured correctly? Taurus will fix the problem if you want to go through all of that.

Did you send them back to Taurus for warranty repair? If so, what was your experience with the warranty service?

codyleaderbrand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    Indianapolis

You know, that sounds about like what the problem is. While I like the gun and design it really isn't worth going through all the repair trouble especially when he's asking that sort of price.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    You know, that sounds about like what the problem is. While I like the gun and design it really isn't worth going through all the repair trouble especially when he's asking that sort of price.

If you really like that gun, and were even considering it at that price, you REALLY need to look into a S&W or Ruger, and see what a real 44 feels like. My wife has a Taurus Tracker 44 Mag (its the one she wanted :rolleyes:), and while its been OK for what it is, it isnt the best choice for 44 Mag loads. It is at its best with 44 Special, MAYBE some warm, in between mag/special loads. Feed it actual magnum loads, and things get ugly REALLY fast. Cases get difficult to eject, groups open up, and its just no fun to shoot.

If you arent set on a DA handgun, the Blackhawk is the cats meow as far as 44 mag revolvers go. If you are more interested in DA, not much can compare to the S&W for aesthetics and trigger feel. The Ruger Super Redhawk, if its within your price range, is also a great option for DA 44 Mag, and its weight help keep recoil manageable even with heavy loads.

Taurus might be good for some things, but when you are looking to send heavy bullets at high velocity out of a handgun, quality and durability are paramount in getting good results.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Did you send them back to Taurus for warranty repair? If so, what was your experience with the warranty service?

I did not send them back. The 44 is sitting in the safe and we found the problem with the 38 after I sold it to a friend; it was new in the box. I sold it so cheap that he didn't care if it had a problem. He hasn't sent it back yet. I called Taurus and got a return number so it'll be going back.

codyleaderbrand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Results of the deal, after talking with the guy he informed me that this was his first gun purchase and he had no idea what it was worth. I ended up picking it up for $300 bucks. I'm gonna put some more rounds through it and decide when I want to repair.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Guns magazine did a full spread on AIMPOINT's show off guns. A 590 Mossy and a Taurus Tracker in .44 mag. The author said when he was shooting full house 44 mag loads, he was experiencing similar problems that you have. The cylinder locking up was due to a broken firing pin return spring. The article is below.

Double Upscale | Guns Magazine

Top Bottom