• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    I'm having a problem with my 24/7 pro feeding propperly. it appears that the tip of the bullet is getting caught on the ramp of the barrel. suggestions? I know they have a lifetime warranty but i heard the turnaround time is rediculously long. Anyone else have/had this problem?

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Something I just happened to think about, I'm a pretty handy guy and have a dremel. Think it would be wise to sand the ramp down at the point where it is being stopped? maybe hit it with a really light bit, then buff and polish it? I don't think I run any serious risks if i have the barrel removed while i do this. If no one else has any better ideas i may try it this evening and see how it turns out.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Do not use a dremmel on your feed ramp. You will probably end up buying a new barrel. It sounds more like a mag problem. It sounds like the follower has too much friction pushing up the next round, therefore its getting pushed up just a little late and the slide is catching the back of the round before the nose of the bullet can clear the feed ramp. My reccomendation is to take apart the magazine and throughly clean it with hoppes no.9 and then use a dry lubricant like a silicone spray inside the mag well and follower. See if this helps you out. I had the same thing happen to my pt145 and did this and it fixed the problem. you may also have a burr in there as well which will require the same thing do be done as well.:twocents:

Let me know how it goes

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    The magazine was my initial thought, then i realized it was doing it on all four of my mags. 2 were brand new. and 2 were slightly used. Then it occurred to me maybe it was the ammo i was using. I tried 3 different types and still no luck. I firmly believe it is the feed ramp.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The magazine was my initial thought, then i realized it was doing it on all four of my mags. 2 were brand new. and 2 were slightly used. Then it occurred to me maybe it was the ammo i was using. I tried 3 different types and still no luck. I firmly believe it is the feed ramp.

has the gun been doing it since day 1? If you feel you really need to use a dremel on your feed ramp i would start with a polishing pad and use it on the bottom portion of the ramp. If its anything like my pt145 then the ramp is already polished but there may be a nick or burr of some sort on the feeding ramp also. If not i would go back to the magazines.

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    I was not the first owner, and the previous owner i bought it from never bothered to mention it (really appreciated that). I have looked over the feeding ramp extensively in different lightings and under magnification, there isn't a single imperfection in it. It really really looks like at the top of the ramp that it wasn't drilled/shaved/sanded properly at the factory and that there is a little more than needs be.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Using ball ammo? JHP? How many rounds have been put through your firearm? I would like to say that this is a fairly common problem, I had issues with my first two kimber 1911's. I think you guys are right on point, the feed ramp probably needs to be polished. Save yourself time, and headache and take it to a professional who will do it right the first time.

Load up a mag lock the slide catch and then release it. One by one, until the rounds start loading or until you simply run out of ammo. If it starts loading after the first two or three rounds it may be that your springs on your mags aren't fully broken in. If every one has failure to feed then it could possibly be your recoil spring is too weak.

It's difficult to say, I'm no expert. If you are convinced that your mags are broken in, then just take it to the shop. I'm sure your pistol is salvageable.

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    That's it, I have no patience haha. the dremel it is. Ill start with some polishing and if it has no effect i'll move on from there to a light sanding and by light i mean very light. i'll let you know how it goes in about half an hour or so.

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Using ball ammo? JHP? How many rounds have been put through your firearm? I would like to say that this is a fairly common problem, I had issues with my first two kimber 1911's. I think you guys are right on point, the feed ramp probably needs to be polished. Save yourself time, and headache and take it to a professional who will do it right the first time.

Load up a mag lock the slide catch and then release it. One by one, until the rounds start loading or until you simply run out of ammo. If it starts loading after the first two or three rounds it may be that your springs on your mags aren't fully broken in. If every one has failure to feed then it could possibly be your recoil spring is too weak.

It's difficult to say, I'm no expert. If you are convinced that your mags are broken in, then just take it to the shop. I'm sure your pistol is salvageable.

previous owner said he put 200 rds down range. When shooting it happens about 70 percent of the time. when loading a mag and releasing the slide catch it seems to happen nearly every single time. the recoil spring hadn't occurred to me, but if the gun has had as little range time as the previous owner says, i don't see how that could be the case unless it was a factory mess up. which, on a spring, i don't see as very likely

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    I'm awesome (in my own mind anyways). Tried polishing it some more and had no noticeable effect on the feeding. I took out a really fine bit for the dremel and went to work. I was very slow and careful and moved in slowly until i heard it touch, i used very little pressure. i did this where the feed ramp meets the barrel a few times until i felt i had gotten it all the way around. hit it with the polisher again and put the gun back together. tried dropping themag release and it fed every time 20x. i'm loading up and going to head to the range now. taking a hundred rounds with me. be back in an hour to give an update.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've seen this issue with Taurus that weren't put back together correctly after cleaning. It'll miss-feed every 2 or 3 rounds and sometimes the rounds wont even fire if they make it up there. The pin that holds the top half of the gun on is usually the culprit. If you don't insert it while everything is lined up just right, the barrel moves to the wrong position. Then gun will stay together, but it wont feed correctly.

Hope you didn't just mess your gun up!

Top Bottom