• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    Angola, Steuben County
    I want to get a 1911. I here that Taurus are not to expensive. I was wondering if someone could tell me how much one would run me and if the Taurus 1911 is the right brand or if I should get another brand?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    $500-650 depending on the model. i had one. great feel and accurate. thin blueing, weak safety and would not feed JHPs. i traded it in for a different brand. i would like to get another one some day. and you should also note that Taurus has some parts that are not interchangeable without some smith work.

i would also look into Rock Island and Springfield Armory. both of these brands are decent quality and have much much better customer service.

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    IMO, Taurus makes a better 1911 than the original, manufactured by Colt. I have no problems with JHP's.

I compared Colt, Taurus, Springfield, Rock Island, Dan Wesson, Wilson and Llama before I bought mine. While I couldn't shoot any of these, I could look them over really good.

The Colts are loose; even the brand new ones are a rattle-trap. Wesson and Wilson are very good but over $1,000. Springfield's are good but still run around $800. Rock Island seems pretty good but it's heavy. Llama...bout the only thing it has going for it is the double-stacked mag. Llamas run about $300 - $400 new but they are very over-priced.

Taurus is the tightest 1911 I have handled. I have had no jams, FTF or feed problems. I have put about 1000 rounds through it with no issues yet.

I have the model with the accessory rail. I would recomend that as you have the option for flashlight, laser, or, as I did, bi-pod or AR-15 "T" handle.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    All I can tell you is to look around. I was at my local shop 3 weeks ago, and they had just taken in a Springfield loaded model on trade. I gave $400 for it out the door !!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Not me. Know one guy who had to send 2 different Taurus handguns back for problems - he had very poor service from them. :noway:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    $500-650 depending on the model. i had one. great feel and accurate. thin blueing, weak safety and would not feed JHPs. i traded it in for a different brand. i would like to get another one some day. and you should also note that Taurus has some parts that are not interchangeable without some smith work.

i would also look into Rock Island and Springfield Armory. both of these brands are decent quality and have much much better customer service.
    LPMan59 has his stuff together. I owned a Taurus 1911 and completely agree with all points above. They are very nice guns but eh weaknesses are as listed above.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'd stray from Taurus. God forbid you need to use their customer service.

Springfield makes a superior firearm, and an awesome lifetime warranty. I've got two and am saving for at least 2 more.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't know... I have two Taurus's (Tauri?); a 24/7 longslide in 9mm and a PT1911. Both have been (mechanically) flawless. The blueing on the 1911 is a little thin, but it eats anything that I've fed it. I'm still leery about buying another one, but that feeling is fading. I like mine.

P7011266.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i'm no taurus hater - i own a 709, a 605 and a pt99. i also had the pt145 and and the pt1911. except for the 1911 not feeding jhps , all of my tauri have been flawless.

but for what they charge new, i really do think youre better off going with RIA or SA- for customer service if nothing else. i have emailed RIA and SA with questions and got an answer very quickly (SA within only a few hours!) but i am intrigued by the Alum. pt1911. that gun is really light. perhaps if a used one ever shows up at the right price....;)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've owned several brands of 1911, if you don't want to add a bunch of aftermarket stuff then the taurus is very very hard to beat, The one's I've had have been great guns, as long as your wanting to leave the gun as is you'll be able to shoot right up there with anybody, no matter what brand your shooting against you will be able to keep up with them.

I have to admit I've drank the 1911 brand coolaid and sold my Taurus and although I have a fine 1911 now I don't know for sure I have one that downrange results are better than the taurus I had.

Also like many of us don't be afriad to buy shoot for a few years and sell, its kind of the spice of life.

good luck

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

The weak safety problem was on the early production and have been fixed.
    Lots of 1911 have problems feeding JHP's, my old Springfield loaded had that problem but went away after the feed ramp was polished.

To the OP, notice above that I say OLD, I sold it after trading another gun for a Taurus 1911, put it through my own test and after 500 rounds determined to be better than my 8 year old Springfield. There is no second guessing on this and think very highly of it because my Springfield 1911 was my home defense handgun.

See if someone in the area has one for you to test fire for your evaluation because no matter what we say, it is your choice, and if you make that without looking/firing them you may have the second guess thoughts popping in your head that will drive you crazy.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have had a Taurus PT1911 for two years and I have put over 800 rounds through it with out any problems. I do carry my PT1911 and feel confident that it will function perfectly in a crisis situation.

This is one of the most accuated pistols I have ever shot. I have friends that have Springfield, Colt, Kimbers -etc. 1911's and after shooting my Taurus, they went out and picked one up because of the accuracy and the function of the weapon.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    See if someone in the area has one for you to test fire for your evaluation because no matter what we say, it is your choice, and if you make that without looking/firing them you may have the second guess thoughts popping in your head that will drive you crazy.

+1 to this advice. Whenever you ask the question about any brand of gun you will get good and bad examples (and that is NO matter what brand you ask about). Take a good look at as many as you can and then decide.

Taurus, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson all make fine 1911's in the price range you are looking for. Look at what features they have on what models interest you and buy with confidence, they will all take care of you if you have a problem with their product.

If you are in the Fort Wayne area and have some .45 ammo, I have 3 Kimbers that you can try.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    Not bad

Not a bad choice. Pretty good gun for the money. But if you can swing the springfield do it. Customer service is worth it as well as overall quality. Definitely wouldn't settle for a Rock Island. Can be very very sensitive to cleaning and can easily develop feed problems.

Top Bottom