• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Bought my PT1911 Stainless back in 2008 and it has been a great gun. With over 3000 rounds, only problem, the plunger tube just started to work loose and I restaked it with the tools from Brownells. Mine does NOT like the Chip McCormick magazines, but works perfectly fine with cheap stainless mags I bought from DPMS. I installed Alumagrips and Wilson stainless grip screws, but otherwise the gun is stock. No regrets purchasing this firearm.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    As I said, he did sell it to me for the great price. I know he managed to lose the spring guide plug. Until I manage to get out and pick one up I can't really tell what else if anything might be wrong with it.

He said he thinks the slide stop is broken...and another internal part. :dunno: I need to find a 1911 guru that is close to me to give it the once over. I've never taken a 1911 completely apart, so I'm pretty ignorant as to being able to "eye" what the issues may be.

Worst case scenario...I box it up and send it back to Taurus. Once I get a guide plug I'll get some pics posted and update about the slide stop.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i have a 1911 spring guide plug I found at the range a year or so ago. You can have it. It just sits in my toolkit, probably waiting for you since the day I found it. Where are you located?
    PM me if you want it.

If the slide stop is broken, you'll be able to see it. It's entirely possible the pistol just didn't like whatever mags he was using with it. Mine is finicky, and doesn't like Kimber or Chip McCormick mags at all.

Last edited:

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    I bought mine brand new and first round I fired the extractor broke. The first 3 times I called Taurus they wanted me to pay for shipping to them or they would sale me an extractor. Naturally I was frustrated called the dealer I bought it from asked if he had ever had this problem. He told me call one more time see if you get a different customer service rep if not he would send it in for me. I did and was emailed a fedex label within 10 minutes. Shipped in was given a date it would be returned it didn't show up so I called and they were on shut down. Called back after shut down and they still had it couldn't tell me why it was still there and said it would be another 7-10 business days
    Since I've had it back it now has problem with rear sight coming loose so o called them and was told no problem we have new sight and set screw in stock will ship it today free of charge you will receive it in a week. Two weeks later still nothing so I call and they say it's on back order.
    I'm hoping it's just my bad luck cause the customer service is horrible in my opinion but I do like the gun when everything is working properly.
    Good luck

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I bought mine brand new and first round I fired the extractor broke. The first 3 times I called Taurus they wanted me to pay for shipping to them or they would sale me an extractor. Naturally I was frustrated called the dealer I bought it from asked if he had ever had this problem. He told me call one more time see if you get a different customer service rep if not he would send it in for me. I did and was emailed a fedex label within 10 minutes. Shipped in was given a date it would be returned it didn't show up so I called and they were on shut down. Called back after shut down and they still had it couldn't tell me why it was still there and said it would be another 7-10 business days
    Since I've had it back it now has problem with rear sight coming loose so o called them and was told no problem we have new sight and set screw in stock will ship it today free of charge you will receive it in a week. Two weeks later still nothing so I call and they say it's on back order.
    I'm hoping it's just my bad luck cause the customer service is horrible in my opinion but I do like the gun when everything is working properly.
    Good luck
    I'll give you $200 for it. :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    i have a 1911 spring guide plug I found at the range a year or so ago. You can have it. It just sits in my toolkit, probably waiting for you since the day I found it. Where are you located?
    PM me if you want it.

If the slide stop is broken, you'll be able to see it. It's entirely possible the pistol just didn't like whatever mags he was using with it. Mine is finicky, and doesn't like Kimber or Chip McCormick mags at all.
    I appreciate the offer. But I'm finally off for a couple of days so I'll grab one down here this weekend.

Thank you for being so generous, though. :+1:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I appreciate the offer. But I'm finally off for a couple of days so I'll grab one down here this weekend.

Thank you for being so generous, though. :+1:

Not a problem. Like I said, I found it, and I figured I'd hang on to it until I found a 1911 that was missing one! I'm still looking. ;) Good luck with it, they're pretty well-put-together guns. I carry one, and it consistently goes bang.
    Unless your buddy was messing around with the internals, I have a feeling your gun is gonna run just fine once you put it back together.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    get it. most 1911 parts are all interchangeable. if u live in nwi. might beable to fix it for nearly nothing. he might of put it together wrong.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Update... I finally had a little time to partially go through it and get some photos. It seems that the guy I bought it from apparently didn't know how to properly field strip a 1911. It looks as though he pried on the slide lock and broke it. Which explains the many take down marks. I have the recoil spring plug and the slide lock ordered.

With those parts and a couple of extra mags I'm only at about $30 in parts so I'm still way ahead of the game. But the guy says there is something else broken. He's just not sure what. Here are the photos...

GEDC0250.jpg

GEDC0262.jpg

GEDC0264.jpg

Makes you want to cry, doesn't it?

GEDC0268.jpg

GEDC0271.jpg

GEDC0272.jpg

Broken slide lock. :facepalm:

GEDC0273.jpg

GEDC0281.jpg

GEDC0280.jpg

GEDC0276.jpg

GEDC0275.jpg

OK...the last 4 photos. Just above (or below because the frame is upside down) the safety. The small silver piece that looks like a little "arm" that raises up when the trigger is pulled. It almost looks like the end is broken off and it appears to be binding the slide if it doesn't fall back down into place. Forgive my ignorance...but what is it and does it appear broken to the 1911 gurus? It almost looks like a "pry" mark beside it.

All your guys' help is greatly appreciated.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It looks as though he pried on the slide lock and broke it. Which explains the many take down marks.

I wept. Openly.

OK...the last 4 photos. Just above (or below because the frame is upside down) the safety. The small silver piece that looks like a little "arm" that raises up when the trigger is pulled. It almost looks like the end is broken off and it appears to be binding the slide if it doesn't fall back down into place. Forgive my ignorance...but what is it and does it appear broken to the 1911 gurus? It almost looks like a "pry" mark beside it.

Not exactly sure which you mean. Are you maybe talking about the firing pin block?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wept. Openly.

Not exactly sure which you mean. Are you maybe talking about the firing pin block?
    Outlined in red.

1911.jpg

It almost looks like the tip is broken off. And it doesn't appear to fall back down into place when the trigger is released.

Plunger lever? Part 30?

Jesus...I'm talking to a *girl* about guns...

:D

Isn't there a guy I can talk to???

fullsize_11.jpg

Colt_1911_Series_80.jpg

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Yeah, it looks like your plunger lever is broken. It's a free-moving part though, and will prevent the slide from being assembled to the frame if it is in the "up" position. I'm in awe over what happened to that gun. Also, the magazine is not standard to that pistol. The Taurus mags all have plastic bumper pads. This could potentially have been the cause of the original problems with feeding.....

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yeah, it looks like your plunger lever is broken. It's a free-moving part though, and will prevent the slide from being assembled to the frame if it is in the "up" position. I'm in awe over what happened to that gun. Also, the magazine is not standard to that pistol. The Taurus mags all have plastic bumper pads. This could potentially have been the cause of the original problems with feeding.....
    I honestly think he pried on it... :xmad:

Is it a repairable part? Or will it need to go back to the factory?

I really do appreciate all the help from you guys...and girls. ;)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Outlined in red.

It almost looks like the tip is broken off.
    Without a macro shot, I can't tell from that angle if it's broken or not. But yes, that would be a little rocker arm that is activated by pulling the trigger...it pushes it up, which in turn (when fully assembled) pushes it against the plunger inside of the slide. (The round thing in the grooves in the underside of the slide). When that round plunger is depressed by the rocker arm (the piece you're talking about that sticks up when you pull the trigger)...the firing pin is free to move when the hammer strikes it.
    If it's not depressed (meaning; "nobody's booger hook is on the bang switch"), it won't fire...not beaten, not dropped, not backed over by a Jeep, not thrown against a wall...You get the idea...
    Hence the name "firing pin block".
    When you get your parts and get it all reassembled...FUNCTION CHECK it to see.

Oh, and btw;
    Jesus...I'm talking to a *girl* about guns...

:D

Isn't there a guy I can talk to???
    You suck. :):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Update... I finally had a little time to partially go through it and get some photos. It seems that the guy I bought it from apparently didn't know how to properly field strip a 1911. It looks as though he pried on the slide lock and broke it. Which explains the many take down marks. I have the recoil spring plug and the slide lock ordered.

With those parts and a couple of extra mags I'm only at about $30 in parts so I'm still way ahead of the game. But the guy says there is something else broken. He's just not sure what. Here are the photos...

GEDC0250.jpg

GEDC0262.jpg

GEDC0264.jpg

GEDC0268.jpg

GEDC0271.jpg

GEDC0272.jpg

Broken slide lock. :facepalm:

GEDC0273.jpg

GEDC0281.jpg

GEDC0280.jpg

GEDC0276.jpg

GEDC0275.jpg

I really got pissed looking at these photographs. :xmad: I'm no armorer, but before I jack up my gun, I will take the time to pull up something on YouTube, ask a friend, post something on INGO, or take the thing to a shop! Why pry, poke, gouge, and scratch up the finish if you don't know what you are doing?! Yeah, that guy is...different.

I'm glad someone got the gun that can appreciate and care for it.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, it looks like the previous owner didn't know how to field strip a 1911 and put it back together. He didn't know how to field strip a 1911, so he left a lot of marks on the finish. He didn't know how to put it back together, so he broke off that piece marked with a red square in a previous picture. (You need to push it down before putting the slide back on.)

Hope you got a good deal.

Top Bottom