• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Many of you have probably read many of the posts over at "The Box o' Truth" site (The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing). I was particularly surprised, and subsequently inspired by the article regarding the effectiveness of sand to stop various rounds.
    I typically shoot out in the country on some family land. We have roundly 400yds of open field (alternating between corn and soybeans during the growing seasons) and then a dense woods behind where we shoot. We also shoot down hill, at maybe a 2-3 deg angle. So, most of the time when we shoot, the rounds exit our targets, and hit the ground somewhere in the open field. It is pretty soft soil, but there is the occaisonal richochette.
    In an effort to be a little safer, and to keep from increasing the lead content of the local soil 8) , I decided to put the sand to the test. I built a very simple target stand for roughly $50, including the cost of the sand, from lumber and materials from the local Home Depot.

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04654.jpg

DSC04655.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04658.jpg

The frame for the target is made from 2x6's. 2 10' boards is enough to make the frame and support legs. The horizontal and vertical parts of the legs are each 4' long. I then framed a 24" box at the top using 2 21" boards cut from the remaining 2x6. This was screwed together with some 3" deck screws.
    I then cut rounghly 2' x 2' squares from 1/2" MDF. I have used this with good success in the past to staple targets too. I had originally just nailed these on with a pnuematic brad nailer, and found out after one shot that the brads weren't enough to hold the boards on. We managed to empty all 150lbs of sand onto the ground. :shock: So, we repaired it by screwing the boards on with some 2" drywall screws that I had brough along just in case. Spaced every 4-6" or so was enough to hold them on for the next shots.
    At the top of the frame, I drilled a couple of 2" holes with a hole saw, and then connected them by cutting the middle out with a jig saw. This is where the sand is dumped into the target box. This is perfect for dumping in the sand from a 5 or 10 gallon bucket. I made a cover for this hole from MDF, and screwed it down. It isn't really needed, but does help keep any left over sand from getting out of the target when you're transporting it.
    I also cut a 2" hole in the bottom of the target with the same hole saw. This is the drain for the sand. I fashioned a small door to cover the drain hole out of the same MDF, and attaced it to the box with a hinge. 2 screws hold the door shut when the sand is in the target. I also put a little cork gasket material on the door to help seal the hole, but that is probably not necessary.
    A couple of handles on either side tops it all off and makes it easy for 1 man to carry empty, or 2 to carry with the sand in it.
    As configured you have a cavity that is 21" x 21" x 5.5" deep, accounting for the thickness of the 2x6. This will hold around 150 lbs of sand, depending on what kind you put in. I bought 5 of the 60" tubes Home Depot is selling as weight for cars and trucks in the winter, and used 2 1/2 tubes worth of sand. This isn't very fine sand, and has a bit of gravel in it.
    The target worked very well stopping 9mm Luger and 7.62x25 pistol rounds, and also 10 rounds of Golden Tiger from my SKS. However, 8mm Mauser was a bit much for it. The first shot we fired at this target was from the Mauser, and it blew the back off when it was just attached with brads. After fixing that and replacing the sand, it stopped 4 more rounds.
    I put 4 more rounds in about a 1" group into the target after that, and once again saw the sand start to come out. It turns out I blew a hole out the back of the target, as can be seen in the 3rd picture. I think it was as much from the shock as anything, and not necessarily the round pennetrating that much further. So, I'm going to come up with something a little stronger for the back, which may just be some 2x6 boards cut into 2' lenghts and attached to the back.
    Once we were done, we were able to open the drain door at the bottom, and empty the sand back into the sand bags. We didn't sift through it to find the rounds this time, but we're pretty confident we caught them all since there were no more holes in the back of the target.
    So, after some beefing up of the back of the target, and maybe the front too, we'll put it to more tests in the future. Feel free to build one for yourself, and PM me if you have any questions, or want a more detailed bill of material.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I use a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 with tube sand and scrap wood at the bottom most of the time. From only a couple feet it stops my 500 S&W 400grn 1870fps Soft point pretty easily and gives me a nice expanded round. I would like to do something like yours but have not thought of a way to keep the sand from leaking out the entrance holes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Very nice. You need a sliding bolt latch of some sort for the exit hole door, though. Seems like the screws would be a pain in the neck.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was a little concerned about the entry holes allowing the sand to come out too. Believe it or not, very little sand came out of the entrance holes. Part of that was due to the way the MDF fragments when hit, leaving a very jagged, layered hole, without a very clear path for the sand to go out.

Some did come out, so I'm gonna try to use some of those cheap peal and stick floor tiles to see if they are sufficient in sealing up the holes. I was going to use them on this one, but thought I'd see how it did without to see if it made a difference or not.

As far as the sliding door idea goes...I might give that a try. The screws aren't too bad, but you do have to make sure you hold the door shut until you are out of the way!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just an update. I built another target today out of 2x8. That did the trick on the 8mm Mauser. I also reinforced the 6" box with 3/4" plywood for a back instead of the MDF. That helpd as well.

So, anyone building one in the future, if you're going to shoot anything more powerful than 7.62x39, I'd say go with the 2x8's, with the 3/4" plywood back for good measure. The larger target held close to 200lbs of sand rather than the 150lbs the 2x6 target held.

As far as sand leakage, I noticed today that if you put a tight enough group together in the same relative place, the sand will start to leak. I had a hole about 1" diameter that resulted from a few rounds in roughly the same spot, and that was enough to let the sand sift out ever so slowly. One nice thing about the sand with some pea gravel in it is that the larger stones can help seal up some of the holes.

I do think I'll try to get some rubber matting to see if that fixes that problem. I didn't get enough rounds on the target with the peel and stick tiles to see if that helped or not.

Another lesson learned is that the sand will settle after the box is hit by a few rounds. We thought we had it packed pretty tight, but we found that after ten or so rounds it had settled about 2". That was enough for one high round from the Mauser at 100yds to go through the target cleanly. The answer is simple...just shoot at the center and the problem is solved!
    icon_cool.gif

So, now I have two targets that work great!

A nice feature that we dicoverd today is that they will fit nicely in a 6" truck bet when the open part of the legs overlaps. The horizontal legs can then lay righ on top. If someone was really adventurous, one could probably make this even more compact to where it could fit in the trunk of a car. It would take some extra hinges, but could be done. The 4" lenght support legs are probably a bit overkill, but does give it a nice wide base.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would suggest that you use crumb rubber made from old tires, instead of the sand. I don't think that you will have the leakage and 6" of the stuff will stop a 50 BMG. The target would weigh a lot less too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    They use it on playgrounds instead of sawdust or sand nowadays. I would think you could get some wherever you find landscaping supplies. Here is where our gun club bought a huge quantity for our indoor range:
    CR[SIZE=+0]3[/SIZE] of Indiana

[SIZE=+1]CR3 of Indiana, a scrap tire processing facility in Muncie, Indiana, has joined the RPA as a producer member.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]The company, in operation since 1995, markets primarily to commercial entities. It can process tires to particles ranging from a 2-inch chip to a 40 mesh.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]The representative is Bill Grindle, director of sales & marketing. He can be contacted at 2501 Mt. Pleasant Blvd., Muncie, IN 47302. The phone is 765-286-6999. The fax is 765-286-5404.[/SIZE]

Top Bottom