• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Hey folks, I am in the market for a .22lr target/bull barrel style of handgun. I've read a lot on here and rimfirecentral, but still have some questions:

Pros/Cons

22/45
    Mark II/Mark III
    22A
    Buckmark
    Hammerli Trailside
    others to consider? (no a 41 is not an option)

1. No one is really carrying these guns, so why are the majority + or - 5" barrels, why not have 7" or even 10"? wouldn't that always be better?

2. Everyone talks about how difficult the Rugers are to disassemble and clean. What about the others?

3. There are several models that have lighter barrels- either aluminum or fluted- is that only for comfort? would the extra mass of a "non" light barrel help to steady the gun?

I do not plan to compete, and rarely would I hunt, more just shooting paper. I don't plan to invest in Eley or Wolf grade ammo- CCI SV at best and probably bulk most of the time. Budget is neighborhood of $500 and I'm not stuck on buying new.

Thanks for any help and input

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Do you already by chance have a 1911? I just bought a target grade conversion kit for one of mine that may suit you. Nelson Custom Pistols
    I also have a Model 41 but I haven't had a chance to compare my practical accuracy between the two as I just received the conversion kit today.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    I happen to have a nice Kimber at the moment- but its only so I can build a friend a display case... I don't own one otherwise. Good idea though!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a 22A, but sold it to buy the MP 22. Both are excellent shooters, but the mags are a bit chintzy. Well, so are the guns. A bit on the cheap, flimsy side, compared to EDC weapons.

I bought the 22A because it was cheap (compared to Ruger and other brands) and on sale at a great price. I wanted a .22 for economical practice and plinking. The 22A was excellent for plinking, but since it had a rail on it I could not use it to practice misfires, clearing jams, etc. So I sold it to finance the MP 22.

The MP 22 is a good firearm. Since the format is identical to the larger caliber MPs, I can practice with it to improve my speed/skill in clearing jams, changing mags, double taps, etc. Thus, it fits my purpose better than the 22A. Again, the mag is cheaply made. It does not keep the cartridges aligned perfectly and this leads to occasional misfeeds. Mag breaks down occasionally, too; but it can be repaired easily on your own—at least so far.

So, if you want a first class .22 go with something other than S&W. These are very accurate but cheaply made. They do the job and they give a great deal of enjoyment. They are affordable, but basic.

Hope this helps.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Ruger MK II...

If you can find one, the Ruger MK II, IMO, is the way to go..
    I have one with the 5 1/2" Bull barrel in Stainless, and one of the same in Blue. They are OUTSTANDING .22 pistols. With the 5 1/2" Bull barrel you can use for target/hunting, or just general field use=Very portable and Very accurate ...Bill.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the 22/45 target model with a reflex red dot on it and it is my Friday Night Steel gun. I rarely miss with it, unless I go to fast! still need more practice but I love the gun. Helps me with my 1911 too!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I bave a MKII 10 inch ( no longer in production) that I absolutely love. You can find them for sale once in a while. The ONLY bad thing about this pistol is after shooting it for a while, it does get a bit heavy out front. Mine is completely stock with 6, 000 plus rounds through it. I shoot a steel competition with it and have got really fast. The long sight radius is awesome.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If you can find one the 22S S&W is very nice. I have had one for 8 years or so. Accurate, easy to field strip, eats whatever I feed it.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I Vote Ruger 22/45. Mines Been Flawless So Far, No Matter What I Fed It. Mines The 5.5" IIRC And I no Problem Running 500 Rounds Thru It In One Trip. I've Also Never Had A Problem On Dis/Reassembly Of The Gun As Long As You Follow Directions In The Manual. After About 3-4 Times It Really Loosens Up And It's Alot Easier To Did/Reassemble.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a buckmark with a 5" barrel my buddy has a 10/45 same size barrel. They both feel about the same in the hand, trigger is similar. The only real difference between the 2 in my opinion is that the ruger is a bit of a process to disassemble/reassemble. As long as you have the manual when you go to field strip you will be OK.
    The buckmark is 2 allen screws and it comes apart. Once a year I take the grips off and clean in there. Two more flat head screws.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    1997 7 1/4" Buckmark Bullseye with the over travel trigger.

Of all of the candidates in my collection, this one owns my heart.

Holographic / Laser sight

View attachment 21716

The next step:

buckshadow.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Buckmark Camper and Ruger MKII.

Both function very well, and are very accurate.
    The Ruger has a little better fit and finish, and I know how to take it apart, so no probalems with that
    If you get a bad cartridge, the Buckmark is easier to clear
    The Ruger has more aftermarket support. Volquartsen alone is a great asset
    I do not like how the buckmark relys in the grip pannels to keep springs from falling off the gun.
    Buckmark grip frames have several variances. This makes changing grips tricky. They only hold on with one screw that seems to work loose a lot. If you over torque it, the grips warp.

Either one will probably last a lifetime.

Both are relatively inexpensive, magazines are readily available and easy to trade if you loose interest.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We have a 5" Buckmark in the safe, and quite a few other 22 handguns of varying size and design. The Buckmark, in my opinion, is really no more capable than the Ruger bull barrel target pistols, all of them are more accurate than I am with good ammo. As far as the barrel length, Im sure that the longer barrel gives a better sight plane, and more velocity, but as far as balance with a full bull barrel made of steel, the balance is just about perfect at 5". The little buckmark is more than enough to make a pop can dance at 25 yards, is compact enough that it can easily be carried in a holster while squirrel hunting, and is relatively easy to break down for cleaning.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Thanks so much for the responses! Lots of great info. Because of the grip angle, I think I am leaning toward the buckmark. Perhaps 7". I could see a dot sight added in the future. Anybody use one they like in particular? Do I have to buy one with a rail? or can a rail be added to any of them?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I got my rail from Lambo's Armory lanbo@lanbosarmory.com .

It has an integral rear sight that is great if you have QD unit mounted on it

1 xTAC SOL BUCK MARK INTEGRAL RAIL (TSOBMINTSB-01)$65.10

---------
    Sub-Total:$65.10
    United States Postal Service (1 Boxes) (0 lbs, 4 oz) (First-Class Mail Parcel):$4.74
    Total:$69.84

Last edited:

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I second the Ruger MKII. I have a stainless with a bull barrel. I also have a S&W older M41. Both are excellent shooters. Alas better than my 70 year old talent with a handgun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since you aren't going to do any formal target shooting, I think you should consider enlarging your list to include guns like the S&W M&P22, Ruger SR22 and Walther P22. You might also want to consider a nice .22 revolver.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a Buckmark with Tactical Solutions upgrades. My son wanted the shorter barrel. I originally bought a longer fluted barrel, but when he moved to California, he couldn't take the threaded barrel, so we swapped. With a red-dot sight and a home-brew sear spring trigger job, the Buckmark is about the fastest little semi-auto that I've found. Very light and a good pack gun.

traillite-complete.jpg

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a 22A, but sold it to buy the MP 22. Both are excellent shooters, but the mags are a bit chintzy. Well, so are the guns. A bit on the cheap, flimsy side, compared to EDC weapons.

I bought the 22A because it was cheap (compared to Ruger and other brands) and on sale at a great price. …

THAT WAS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT, DAD.

Top Bottom