Taking sister-in-law to the range [minor]?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My wife's sister is here and wants to get out to the range with us but I'm not sure about the law. We have parental consent [i.e. my wife's mom is fine with it] but her mom is about a 5 hour drive away so she won't be going to the range with us.

I just want to make sure I won't be breaking the law by permitting her to handle/fire a handgun and long gun at the range. If it is somehow against the law a) that sucks and b) oh well but if not - that would be great.

At the end of the day I don't want to get her all excited by telling her yes only to find out that legally we can't take her to shoot.

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    We took a lot of our kids' friends to the range when they were younger. No problem at all.

Just be ultra-cautious that the four rules are drilled into her.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    As long as you're safe, there should be no issue. A simple written consent may be a good way to CYA. But if you can't get one in time and anything does come up, a phone call may also be verification enough. IANAL, YMMV.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not illegal. Assuming you are an adult, you will be supervising at a range, and you have permission of the minor's parent/guardian.

Relevant code:
    Indiana Code 35-47-10

Enjoy your range time together!

+1 this. I have taken many friends kids to the range. You do have to judge the maturity of the child. And plenty of range rule talk before but I am sure you have that covered. Be safe and have fun. I love taking new shooters out. I got my daughter to go for the first time last week. Fun fun!

ozzie839

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Columbus
    should not be an issue, have fun, teach all you can, make sure she has fun, anyway to help the sport grow is good in my book

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Perfectly fine, if it was illegal the range operators wouldn't let minors shoot! Fox Prairie even lets minors shoot for free with an adult!

Top Bottom