• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Herkynut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    northeast Indiana
    I'm thinkin' on a take-down .22 like the Henry AR-7 or the Marlin "Papoose". Just for plinkin', but reliability and accuracy would be nice. I suspect the Marlin is a better rifle than the Henry, but do you fellas have any recommendations?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a rossi 62 that breaks in the middle with the twist of knurled nut. One of the cheapest guns I own, and the first one I grab if I need to shoot something. Extremely accurate, easy to stow away, and a really cool action.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My 2 cents...

I have had and still have many take-down .22's. Loved most of them. The following is my short take on their best rolls.

Henry AR7 Survivor - have owned 2 and both are reliable shooters and pretty accurate. Not the most ergonomic of rifles, though. This is the best for the "leave in a backpack or duffel while camping or canoeing for a JIC" gun

Norinco ATD / Browning SA - Have owned 1 of each, best quality and the most shootable, somewhat heavy for backpack carry, etc.

Marlin Papoose - while I like this gun a lot, it seems to be a compromise between the portability of an AR7 and the shootability of the Browning. Nice case, though

Rossi .22LR Pump Take-down. I have one of these with a 22"-24" barrel. Shot it this past weekend and had forgotten how fun and accurate it was. Holds 14 long rifle or 20 shorts. I would put it in a gun sock, taken down and folded in half, in my car.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have one of the .22LR/.410 Springfield/CZ models also (takedowns are a disease). It is fun to shoot and even more fun to watch others shoot a squeeze lever trigger for the first time. I got about 2.5" groups at 50 yds with .410 slugs.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I own both (as well as an M6)

My ar-7 is an older one by charter arms, purchased in 83, so take that into consideration. the AR-7 is more of a beat it up, camping canoeing gun. Mine has floated down more than one river. I did have one problem with mine, after probably 5-6k rounds it started double then triple firing then finally went run away full auto. ( happened while squirrel hunting, multiple hits tear them up) Had it repaired and have not had another problem. probably 1k rounds since repair. it is an ergonomic nightmare as previously mentioned before. It cannot be stowed in the stock with a scope, so if you want optics, you have to keep the receiver attached to the stock. The ones made by Henry are lighter than mine, and hold 2 mags instead of one. I personally prefer the older charter models though. Very light is good for packing, but is not condusive to marksmanship.

the papoose beats the AR-7 in accuracy. this may be due to the stock not being so huge and unwieldly. I prefer it for back packing and camping when no water is involved. it is also more compact when stowed (flatter). I like that it can be stowed with a scope on it, although it must be a small one. I also feel that the means for alignment of the barrel is less prone to wear than that of the AR-7.

Both guns are designed around a purpose, compact carry. I wouldn't call either of them particulary accurate, but both will hold minute of squirrel. if you just want a good plinker get a 10-22. the one downfall of both guns for long plinking sessions is the lack of a forearm. the barrels can get warm rather quickly.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While the Papoose floats in it's bag, the Henry Survival rifle floats by itself.

My Survival Rifle is a bit picky about ammo but found the Remington Golden Bullett HP works find and also the Remington Thunderbolt works well. You have to use a High Velocity bullet to cycle the action properly.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I own one of the Springfield/CZ M-6's, a Henry USA Survival, a Norinco ATD Browning copy and two Rossi M-62 pumps. They all have their good and not-so-good points, IMO.

My personal favorite is the little Norinco. I installed a Lyman 66 receiver sight, replaced the cheesey stock open iron rear with a Marble's folding leaf and the front with a FO bead. Still weighs under 5 lbs., is capable of amazing accuracy with its preferred ammo and handles beautifully.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I own one of the Springfield/CZ M-6's, a Henry USA Survival, a Norinco ATD Browning copy and two Rossi M-62 pumps. They all have their good and not-so-good points, IMO.

My personal favorite is the little Norinco. I installed a Lyman 66 receiver sight, replaced the cheesey stock open iron rear with a Marble's folding leaf and the front with a FO bead. Still weighs under 5 lbs., is capable of amazing accuracy with its preferred ammo and handles beautifully.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Have to agree that the "real" Brownings, Belgian or Miroku, are a bit too expensive for most folks to rationalize buying one as a working tool. That's a big factor in why they sold so many of the Norinco copies during the relatively short time they were imported, IMO.

I was able to buy my Norinco dirt cheap: $35. It had one of the 'fingers' on the extractor broken, but was otherwise in nearly new condition complete with box and manual. Seems the original owner was one of those folks who believe that a .22 never needs cleaning, which led to an accumulation of crud behind the extractor after only a couple of hundred rds. Since that part must be free to pivot slightly as the bolt goes into battery, it broke from repeated impact when it couldn't.

When it did, he attributed it to being "cheap Chinese junk". As Interarms had gone belly-up and nobody had Norinco parts he offered it to me, as I'm known to like to tinker. I ordered the Browning part from Brownell's ($9.90) figuring that it'd probably need some fitting but I could make it work. It dropped right in and has worked flawlessly since.

Even with the upgrade parts, a cordura case and paying to have the two mounting holes D&T'ed in the receiver, I have a fraction of the cost of a Miroku-made Browning in it, and I can take full advantage of the design's unique virtues without fretting over what putting some honest wear on it does to the "collector" value.

FWIW, you still see nice, and even NIB, Norincos on Gun Broker and other auction sites going for half or less the cost of the Brownings.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I can only speak to the Henry AR7, but the stowability of this rifle is outstanding. The barrel, receiver and extra mag all fit into the molded butt stock and it weighs a dainty 2.5 lbs. I like the design and the AR7 has a nice profile, imo. These are infamous for jamming. There's a multitude of threads online related to the AR7 and it's shorcomings and successes.

It's a great novelty, camping, hiking, boating, atv, critter, rainy day gun.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How about cool factor in a 22. This is a Marlin 39a Golden Mountie takedown. It splits at the receiver by unscrewing a knurled knob. I picked this up used at Cabelas in Hammond.

39amountieeq1.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I spied a crudded up looking Norinco ATD in a pawn shop not all that long ago. I THINK that it was priced under $200.

I kick myself that I didn't buy it. :-(

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had started a thread about a local auction this Saturday in Evansville. They have both a Norinco ATD in good shape and a like new looking Springfield M6 in .22 hornet/.410:D

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, but unless the price for that "crudded-up" Norinco was a whole bunch under $200 I think you made the right call. I see NIB and LNIB examples being offered for around $200, so personally I wouldn't give more than about half that for one that showed signs of hard use and/or neglect. At least not unless a basic field strip was allowed for a close inspection first. YMMV.

Hoosier8: Nice wood on that Marlin! Congrats.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have a Marlin Papoose. It has always been reliable and hit what I was aiming at, I'm not a good shot either. I would like to have a Henry to put in my backpack since the Papoose case is about two feet long.

DeLong1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Hello Claddagh......Just joined the site and was reading posts to get aquainted with the system and saw post on your Norinco pump .22 with broken extractor. I have one with same problem. Could I get the part number for the Brownells' part that you ordered?? Sure would like to fix this little .22.
    Thanks........DeLOng1

Top Bottom