• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    Has anyone seen any cases related to these laws? My employer has a strict no gun policy on the property and was wondering just how these laws worked and if they conflicted with Indiana's "Right To Work".

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    My employer gets to write their own rules.

Any viewpoints expressed by me are my opinion and my viewpoints alone.
    Any viewpoint or opinion expressed by me may or may not be the viewpoint or opinion of the University of Notre Dame.

My schools get to write their own rules as well

Any viewpoint or opinion expressed by me as a student may or may not be the viewpoint or opinion of Indiana University or Purdue University.

Yes....I have three .edu email addresses.

lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    OP: is your employer one of the few that are exempt from the law?

-J-

I don't believe so. I work in a small factory. We make foam parts for insulating refrigerators and things like that, plastic parts for lexmark, adhesives for car companies, etc. How would I go about finding out if they are exempt?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Yes, I read the IC. As far as I can tell they don't fall under any of the exempt descriptions.

If this makes anything easier or worse, I'm working for them through a temp agency.

Working through a Temp Agency opens a slightly different can of worms. Yes, you have the right to keep it in the parking lot (from how you've described your location) while at work. Can the company paying for your time instruct the Temp Agency that you are no longer invited back because of any reason the company chooses? Yes...

Not being an actual "Company XYZ" employee means that you have even more to prove if XYZ requests you not return. You're still a Temp and are actually employed the Temp Agency.

YOU MAY CONSIDER dropping off a copy of the employee handbook with a lawyer - friend who's better able to open a healthy conversation with "XYZ's" lawyers...

lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    YOU MAY CONSIDER dropping off a copy of the employee handbook with a lawyer - friend who's better able to open a healthy conversation with "XYZ's" lawyers...

This bring in another problem. I've been here 3-4 months. When I was brought in, I was never shown the company orientation videos or given an employee handbook. So I have nothing to show a lawyer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's great that we have this protection for our private cars at work, and I would tend to agree that "locked up, out of sight, mouth shut" is the best course of action.

But if they do have a policy that doesn't comply with the statute and you've been there 3-4 moths, do you really want to establish your reputation as "they guy who had a lawyer threaten us over guns"? Be assured, that is how they will see it.

lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    It's great that we have this protection for our private cars at work, and I would tend to agree that "locked up, out of sight, mouth shut" is the best course of action.

But if they do have a policy that doesn't comply with the statute and you've been there 3-4 moths, do you really want to establish your reputation as "they guy who had a lawyer threaten us over guns"? Be assured, that is how they will see it.

I completely agree and I plan to not say anything about it. Just wondering what my course of action should be if they find out.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    They can't fire you in Indiana if you have it in your vehicle. However, if your employment is at will, they can just terminate you for no reason. You would have to prove in court they fired you because of that.

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    Has anyone seen any cases related to these laws? My employer has a strict no gun policy on the property and was wondering just how these laws worked and if they conflicted with Indiana's "Right To Work".

Not to nit-pick, but do you know what Indiana "Right to Work" law is about? It really has nothing to do with the subject and wondered if you just misspoke...

lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    They can't fire you in Indiana if you have it in your vehicle. However, if your employment is at will, they can just terminate you for no reason. You would have to prove in court they fired you because of that.

So in other words, I need to have an audio recorder available on me at all times for proof.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My employer has a "take your kid to work" day. Maybe a few cutting edge employers out there should consider a "take your gun to work day". An idea whose time has come. :)

lothsun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    Evansville
    Not to nit-pick, but do you know what Indiana "Right to Work" law is about? It really has nothing to do with the subject and wondered if you just misspoke...

I only included it because I have heard people say that the protection from firing for having a gun in your car and the right to work conflict each other. Other than that I have no experience with it. I'm applied for my LTCH today. I've only been working for about 2 years.

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    I only included it because I have heard people say that the protection from firing for having a gun in your car and the right to work conflict each other. Other than that I have no experience with it. I'm applied for my LTCH today. I've only been working for about 2 years.

Ok, well "Right to Work" just prohibits unions from compelling new employees, who are going to be doing work covered by the collective bargaining unit, from joining the union.

Top Bottom