• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    My wife and I took Doc Gunn's Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class last weekend. Despite the terrible heat, we had a great time. I'm not going to write a huge review because they already exist

Here is one someone wrote:
    Course Review: Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds w/ Doc Gunn/DTI Roanoke 05AUG06 - TheFiringLine Forums

But I did want to just say it was a great class, we feel much more prepared and EVERYONE should keep Israeli Battle Dressing's in their homes, cars, and offices.

Here are some pics of us.

Us engaging a threat
    gun_class_7-24-10_1.jpg

My wife treating my gunshot wound and covering our 6 while I cover downrange (and eventually engage while being treated).
    gun_class_7-24-10_2.jpg

My wife helping me get up. Unfortunately the picture doesn't show her handywork with the IBD.
    gun_class_7-24-10_3.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yeah, it was nice taking it together because it really emphasized teamwork. In fact I got dragged around the range building backwards by my belt (with practically no warning) by Doc to show how we could work as a team.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife and I took Doc Gunn's Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class last weekend. Despite the terrible heat, we had a great time. I'm not going to write a huge review because they already exist

Here is one someone wrote:
    Course Review: Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds w/ Doc Gunn/DTI Roanoke 05AUG06 - TheFiringLine Forums

WOW! That's a well-written review. In fact, it's one of the best reviews of a class I've ever read. Thank you for sharing with the INGO audience. :D

I'm glad you found the class worthwhile. It's one that I recommend to everyone I know, even people who work in the emergency medical field. The first year I was there and both of the times I was there to help, there were physicians, EMTs, and paramedics among the students.

I'd be at the class every time Doc Gunn comes to Boone County, but I've had other obligations that kept me from attending this year and last.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ummm... again, I didn't write that review. I just linked to it because I am too lazy to write one myself.

Dude, I was teasing you. Look at my userid. Look at the userid of the person who wrote that review. Same dude, i.e. me.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I took it two years ago. It was a great class. At the risk of being redundant, I think it's a must-have class.

I think some people shy away from these types of classes because they aren't into the whole medical thing. There are people who eat that up, and you might think all the praise comes from these guys.
    Not so.
    I never was interested in that sort of thing but enjoyed it immensely, so you don't have to be a band-aid head to like it and learn a lot. (I don't know what a band-aid head is, but it sounded good at the time.)

Aside from the tac med info, I got a lot of shooting insight. Some of it made me (and I think others) reevaluate some things. For example, hi-cap mags often get looked down on as bullet squirters, but when changing mags is a major effort because you are lying on the ground being bandaged up and having to shoot bad guys off with one hand, their value becomes evident.
    Doc has studied more gunshot wounds than most of us will even hear about. His insights into what works and what doesn't, what to expect and what not to expect, etc are worth going to hear. I had little reason to think a downed bad guy would stay down before, and I have none now.

Now, two years later, I still think of little things from that class that pertained to defensive shooting. Not bad for a one-day wound treatment class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another key element is that you get reminded (or taught) how puny handgun bullets really are and because of that how to make your shots as effective as possible for stopping threats.

Along those lines, you learn that head shots are effective, but 1) you need to hit the medulla oblongota to be sure it will work, and 2) that's not that easy to do. Aside from the marksmanship issue of hitting small target, you have to account for your movement, the movement of your attacker, and the fact that penetrating a skull with a pistol bullet presents a significant challenge. You can just hit the head any old place and expect an effective, attack-stopping wound to result.

Top Bottom