• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Yes, the title sends chills up my spine too. I'm bored at "work" and doing image searches on google. I thought to myself...with all the talk about sporterizing rifles I wonder if anyone has the audacity to modify the great M1 Garand. I obviously went into this with a snobby attitude but I found some cool looking things.

SAGE M14 EBR, M1A, Mk14, MOD 0, MOD 1, MOD 2, M39 EMR, M4, SOCOM II, TACOM-RI, M14ALCS, PMRI, EBR,: M1 Garand EBR

m1-3.gif

m1-2.gif

U.S. Infantry: No Effective, Sustained-Fire, Light Machine Guns, No Detachable Magazine Rifles for 6 DECADES?

The above link had one photo of an M1 Garand stock so it showed up on the search. This is one of the coolest reads I've had in a while! This article basically talks about the lesser known modifications to or evolution of well know rifles. A ton of GREAT pics in this link.

(Snob mode back on) Fortunately I really did not find much more than that when it comes to people butchering or upgrading (depending on your moral plasticity:D) an M1 Garand rifle.

Nothing really important here, just thought it was interesting.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd rather see this done on an M14 or something...

At least with this version though, they could keep the original wood in tact. Nothing worse in my opinion than cutting down the original stocks to "sporterize" them :faint:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

At least with this version though, they could keep the original wood in tact. Nothing worse in my opinion than cutting down the original stocks to "sporterize" them :faint:

+1 No question, I agree. That was the basis of my searching. I knew they had many upgrades to the M14 which made it, in my mind, more pointless to modify the Garand.
    It looks like the modifications in the pics above though are just replacement stocks that you put the action into. At least that way the parts are able to be put back to stock configuration.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Like your point: Why do it? The M-1 Garand is so recognizeable/perfect just they way it is. This just makes it another .308 plastic gun (which there are plenty already).

I would put other weapons in this category too (Garand, Enfield, 1903, Mausers, and the various Mosins). Yes, some are plentiful now but what about 50 years? WWII wasn't won with a plastic stock.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Depends if you actually want to use it for fun, or if you want it suited to yourself.

Nothing wrong with bringing old guns back when they're still viable, and putting modern items on them. Safe queen guys will scoff but if it ends up being a better shooting rifle for you in the end, then it was a wise choice.

Only thing about the garand that someone needs to make is reduced "ding" clips. I don't think that stock is all that silly on there, after all the M1A is roughly the same gun just slightly altered. The feeding system doesn't seem any slower than detachable magazines to me, it's not like a regular stripper clip by any means.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I really like the sage stocks on the m14s that they are putting back in service. A Troy battle rail will suite me just fine on an m1a. On the garand, i don't see much of a point but I never tried to mount a scope on one either

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    The article keeps referring to 30.06 ammo as 7.62x83. I thought that I had read elsewheres that it was 7.62x63? Anyone know?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

I partly agree. IMHO, nothing is worst than removing the wood from a vintage classic and replacing it with a plastic mess that somewhat resembles the original it used to be. What I disagree with is you wanting to do your "nothing worse" to another classic firearm, the M14. :(

What would John Wayne do if you told him he had strip off his trail hardened jeans and replace them with Dorothy's pretty little dress. :dunno:

If I want tacticool sporterized, I'll just stick to the already plastic-ridden AR platform. :)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The reason i said that about the M14 is because there are modern versions of it with this stuff already on it.

I'll search for the one im talking about its either called the DMR or the EMR i can't remember which. I didn't meant the classic M14 with the wood stock still.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That would be like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa....O K for some, but the defiling of a great work of art to me:twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TacticalBilly
    Top Bottom